See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Probably the best new player advice I've ever heard

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Probably the best new player advice I've ever heard

The latest GWAE podcast (The Doc part 2) can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1HCQPpspXA

The Doc is a part-time and long-time player who is an academic surgeon in real life. I suggest listening to the whole thing, but outstanding advice for new counters starts at about 14:25, talking about count selection, index plays, BR management, cover, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    The latest GWAE podcast (The Doc part 2) can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1HCQPpspXA

The Doc is a part-time and long-time player who is an academic surgeon in real life. I suggest listening to the whole thing, but outstanding advice for new counters starts at about 14:25, talking about count selection, index plays, BR management, cover, etc.
    Thanks for posting! I'll check this out later today.

Nice one.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChoo View Post
    Thanks for posting! I'll check this out later today.
    Anyone interested in BJ should put GWAE on their weekly calendar. Lots of good stuff there. I typically listen to 75% of them, as the shows on poker and sports betting don't interest me.

I just finished the episode. Never listened to the show before. I'll have to keep an eye out for new episodes and hunt down old episodes. I will say there was some stomach turning parts of the episode like mechanic dealing, short shoes, and 100 hour losing streaks. Those conversations are probably better suited for Halloween time.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It scares me that great pros could have 100 hours losing streak. In 6 years, I probably never had more than about 6 straight losing sessions. I am thinking that when pros say a 100+ hours of a losing streak, they don’t mean losing hour after hour for 100+ straight hours. I would think it’s just that they had stayed below what they had started with for that length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    It scares me that great pros could have 100 hours losing streak. In 6 years, I probably never had more than about 6 straight losing sessions. I am thinking that when pros say a 100+ hours of a losing streak, they don’t mean losing hour after hour for 100+ straight hours. I would think it’s just that they had stayed below what they had started with for that length of time.
    This is a great point. It does lessen the fear factor when looking at it this way. Still scary and would suck, but not as bad as "Jeez, I haven't had a winning session in last hundred hours of play" ha ha.

It scares me that great pros could have 100 hours losing streak.
    The math is the math. It happens. I believe Stanford Wong once said he had a losing YEAR when he was actively playing. Don't know how many hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    The math is the math. It happens. I believe Stanford Wong once said he had a losing YEAR when he was actively playing. Don't know how many hours though.
    On the flip side in BJ for Blood Carlson has a story called Dr. J's parlay. I'm a fan of Carlson's writing style and really liked the book, but I call BS on the story. I mean those people would of had to catch lotto winning luck to run like that. If you have the book take a look at the parlay chart, seems very unlikely. I think he was just trying to be nice and write a confidence booster story.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Doesn't have to mean either. Having a 100-hour losing streak means, quite simply, that after 100 hours of play, you lost money. My God, it happens all the time. About a 25% probability. Let four people play for 100 hours, and one of them will be a loser. Ridiculous to dramatize this.

And you've never had more than six straight losing sessions because you don't play properly. You're afraid to lose, and you're afraid to win. That causes, shorter, aborted, less volatile sessions.

Don

Lol @ at the thought of 100 hour losing streaks. I know several players who’ve experienced MUCH crazier losing streaks. I’ve had 2 losing streaks that lasted 300 hrs or longer. Buckle up!

Yep. Currently in a 200+ hour losing period myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryemo View Post
    Lol @ at the thought of 100 hour losing streaks. I know several players who’ve experienced MUCH crazier losing streaks. I’ve had 2 losing streaks that lasted 300 hrs or longer. Buckle up!
    No doubt...buckle up lol!! Zeebabar you must have run insanely good your first few years.
    Can you be down after 100 hours of play? Holy hell yes you can so easily.
    Of course you can skew your session results too as Don mentioned. By simply quitting when your ahead etc you can surely make your session winning % look great...but you could still be down overall for the 100 hours very easily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast