Thread: Does true count matter in SD Games?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Does true count matter in SD Games?

If I'm playing an SD Game, and the running count is +3, with two thirds of the deck left to be dealt, is the true count +3 or +4. If +4, then how precise do I need to be with True Count?

Quote Originally Posted by LugiaLvl138 View Post
    If I'm playing an SD Game, and the running count is +3, with two thirds of the deck left to be dealt, is the true count +3 or +4. If +4, then how precise do I need to be with True Count?
    True count is +4.5. Depending if you round or truncate TC would be either +4 or +5. Definitely not +3. However, for single deck I think it is okay to use running count as true count, but I would tend to round up.

If you're not going to do a true count conversion, wouldn't you be better off using REKO or something at the Single Deck game?

This past weekend in Mesquite, I did true count conversions the whole time I was there against their DD games. I'm more than happy to do fractional true count conversions, I just wasn't sure if it mattered on SD.

Quote Originally Posted by LugiaLvl138 View Post
    This past weekend in Mesquite, I did true count conversions the whole time I was there against their DD games. I'm more than happy to do fractional true count conversions, I just wasn't sure if it mattered on SD.
    Try multiplying by decimal instead of dividing to get true count.

True Count by Multiply.JPG

The true count is 4, assuming you truncate.

I have a suggestion that might help with your index comparisons. When the dealer puts the last cards in the discard tray, note the number of decks remaining. If you need the true count to determine your bet, do that computation now. Then adjust the number of remaining decks by the number of cards that you will see before the play of the next hand starts, 1/4 deck if 6 hands are in play. You should avoid looking at the discard tray until the end of the hand, especially if you have to move your eyes to do so. Nobody but a counter cares about the discard tray while making a decision.

Once you know your hand and see the dealer's upcard, decide to either compute the true count or do as Bosox suggests and multiply the index by the number of decks remaining. TC has the advantage of frequently remaining unchanged during the play of the hand unless there is a significant change in the running count, and is probably best for splits. For simple hit/stand decisions, the faster multiplication is usually preferable.