See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to take a profit/loss and walk away from a shoe

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    You need a thick skin.
    What Don said was essentially - you’re asking for advice - you're getting excellent advice - you’re not getting the answers you want - you’re really prefer an answer that coincides with your preferred short term position, and you’re pissed because you’re not getting that answer.

He is also saying - do what you want, but long term play with short term strategy gets you to the poor house.

Don, just in case there is a comprehension issue on “bang it up your chute”, I believe he is inferring “stick it up your ass”
    Thanks for the translation. Wasn't needed! I just can't understand people like this. They make believe they're coming here for advice and to learn; they get excellent responses from a variety of people, all saying the same thing, and then they proceed to explain to us why we're missing the point and why their personal experience is at odds with our advice. Sad.

Norm's signature line is the perfect final comment for this: "It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows."

Don

Comedian Ron White said it much better:

"You can't fix stupid."

"I can explain it to you, I just can't understand it for you"

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

Favorite quote from Samuel Johnson: "Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding."

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Thanks for the translation. Wasn't needed!
    Don,

You are really going to let Freightman's "inferring" get by unscathed?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPloppy View Post
    Don,

Read the last paragraph of post 15. Then, maybe, you will understand.

LOL. I was just messing with Don.

I understand the reference. I was referring to your use of inferring vs. implying.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Maybe these nerving "Stop loss" threads should immediately be moved to the Disadvantage forum, because it's all about voodoo stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mors View Post
    I've been looking at some of my Verite stats where I've played for fun, say 200 shoes, and for me personally, staying in a shoe whilst the count was positive just hasn't been worth as profitable as if I'd have backed out and took a good profit when I was way up. Looking at my stats, there were considerably more than 50% of shoes where I'd been up 20-30 and ended up with 10 units of profit or decimated my bankroll, than ones where I realised close to the maximum profit from the shoe. Here some regular scenarios for me:
    Hello Mors,
    From one recreational player to another:
    Whether you call yourself a pro, an academic or a recreational player has nothing to do with how you fare at the BJ table. What governs how you do at the BJ table is the math.
    You may parse your personal experience any way you like. You may start and stop at any time you like. You may use any such system you like. What you should understand is that the math doesn’t “care” "about you personally" or how you divvy up your game.
    The math is the reality, the ultimate truth. If you use the math, you will do better than if you don’t.
    There is a wealth of knowledge available to you on this forum. Open your mind to it and learn.
    As an aside, as a recreational player, I find the math a great part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 21frogman View Post
    Hello Mors,
    From one recreational player to another:
    Whether you call yourself a pro, an academic or a recreational player has nothing to do with how you fare at the BJ table. What governs how you do at the BJ table is the math.
    You may parse your personal experience any way you like. You may start and stop at any time you like. You may use any such system you like. What you should understand is that the math doesn’t “care” "about you personally" or how you divvy up your game.
    The math is the reality, the ultimate truth. If you use the math, you will do better than if you don’t.
    There is a wealth of knowledge available to you on this forum. Open your mind to it and learn.
    As an aside, as a recreational player, I find the math a great part of the fun.
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPloppy View Post
    Don,

Yeah, I saw it. So many errors, so little time!

Don

No, you're missing a simpler point: "inferring" should be "implying."

Don

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast