See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie mistakes you made as a Blackjack Player?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Rookie mistakes you made as a Blackjack Player?

When I was a Rookie Blackjack Player, I got cocky and had two 10 Cards so 20. The Dealer had a single 10. I had chosen "Stand," and I thought I had it in the bag. To my horror, the Dealer turned over an ACE and I lost big money ($2,000) on what I thought was going to be a $2,000 profit for me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackPro View Post
    When I was a Rookie Blackjack Player, I got cocky and had two 10 Cards so 20. The Dealer had a single 10. I had chosen "Stand," and I thought I had it in the bag. To my horror, the Dealer turned over an ACE and I lost big money ($2,000) on what I thought was going to be a $2,000 profit for me.
    I don't understand. Why would you describe this as a "rookie mistake"? What could you have possibly done differently? You simply lost a 20 to a dealer blackjack. How does that qualify as a "mistake"?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    I don't understand. Why would you describe this as a "rookie mistake"? What could you have possibly done differently? You simply lost a 20 to a dealer blackjack. How does that qualify as a "mistake"?

Don
    I consider it a mistake because of the cocky attitude I had and the fact that I lost $2,000 on a single hand.

I consider it a mistake because of the cocky attitude I had and the fact that I lost $2,000 on a single hand.
    Where do these people come from?

The first time I played I did some classic ploppy mistakes. It was a long time ago, so I am not exactly sure, but I remember splitting 3's vs. a 9 and standing on 15 vs. 10. I got some strange looks from the other players. By the second time I played i was using proper basic strategy and running count betting. I don't like losing and I didn't like being thought of as one of the idiot masses. It was still an overall win, even with the ploppy mistakes, since the store at the time had such a great promotion it was hard to lose, but I could have made a lot more just with basic strategy.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by refinery View Post
    ZZ?

If you hit in hope to get an ace, then that is cocky. That you stand 20 against dealer up card 10 is common sense.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by refinery View Post
    Consensus around the interwebs is a Walgreens in South Florida.

Betting according to the RC.

Oh heck. A couple of years ago I got dealt two twenties and the TC was very high: not enought to split vs. 2. I was saying to myself "I got this". Lol. It comes the dealers turn, she made it up to a six card 16. "Pffft, I got this!. A FIVE?!?!?!" Seven card 21!
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
    Oh heck. A couple of years ago I got dealt two twenties and the TC was very high: not enought to split vs. 2. I was saying to myself "I got this". Lol. It comes the dealers turn, she made it up to a six card 16. "Pffft, I got this!. A FIVE?!?!?!" Seven card 21!
    That damn beast mode...i tell ya....

Quote Originally Posted by RTR2021 View Post
    Betting according to the RC.
    I did this quite a bit while learning. Of course I was playing single deck, so +3 RC with 1/4 deck dealt and 3/4 remaining = +4 TC. By just using running count, I did not put out as many big bets, easing the swings. I had a very good AP opportunity, so I did not need to actually win playing BJ, just need to move money back and forth across the table.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    That damn beast mode...i tell ya....
    It is only Beat Mode if TC means nothing and this situation keeps happening. Then you better seeking hand shuffled games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast