See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Session win %

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Session win %

What's the formula for % chance of winning (being in profit any amount) after x amount of hands?

Assume flat betting with a set player edge

Im guessing its probably somewhat similar to the n0 formula

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    What's the formula for % chance of winning (being in profit any amount) after x amount of hands?

Assume flat betting with a set player edge

Im guessing its probably somewhat similar to the n0 formula
    See BJA3, p. 21 and Table 2.2 at the bottom of the page. Just need the win rate and s.d. for the game in question. Then apply formula as described in the page 21 text, near the end.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    See BJA3, p. 21 and Table 2.2 at the bottom of the page. Just need the win rate and s.d. for the game in question. Then apply formula as described in the page 21 text, near the end.

Don
    I dont have BJA3, can anyone help?

I dont have BJA3, can anyone help?
    You should be profoundly ashamed of yourself!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    You should be profoundly ashamed of yourself!

Don
    Turns out i do have this book lol. Didnt realize it was 3rd edition

Reading page 21 and not understanding any kind of formula to determine this.

It says "determine what % of the SD the corresponding expected return represents" then find the area under the curve to the left of this figure.

Can you explain this in a pure mathematical formula? Like, how do i even make a curve?

I have EV of game and SD, isnt this all i need in order to find % win after x hands?

It says "determine what % of the SD the corresponding expected return represents" then find the area under the curve to the left of this figure.

Can you explain this in a pure mathematical formula? Like, how do i even make a curve?

I have EV of game and SD, isnt this all i need in order to find % win after x hands?
    ...asking Don to explain in pure math formulas...prepare to be even more confused.

Example Calculation

blueman,

Let's pick some numbers to see how to calculate your answer. Let's assume you're wonging in with a 2% edge (so at about +5) and flat-betting (so your S.D. is 1.15). If you play 100 rounds, what is the chance you'll be even or ahead?

Well, in 100 rounds, you expect to win 2 units. The total S.D. will be 1.15*?100 = 11.5 units.

If you end up even, your z-score is z = (0-2)/11.5 = -0.17. In general, z = (result - mean)/(standard deviation).

If you consult Table 8.9 on page 147 of BJA3 (or else use the Cumulative Distribution function in, say, Excel), you'll see that the CDF for -0.17 is 0.4325: this means you have a 43.25% chance of being behind. Therefore, you have a 56.75% chance of being even or ahead.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Doghand, what is 1.15*?100 supposed to represent? Or maybe formatting is wonky?

Wouldn’t the SD be:

Var = 1.15^2 = 1.3225

Var = 1.3225 * 100 = 132.25

SD = 132.25^0.5 = 11.5 (units)

?
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Plot the derived Gaussian curve on graph paper. Then with scissors cut out curve and weigh on an analytical balance to 0.1mg to determine AUC (area under curve).

Quote Originally Posted by snakeplisskin View Post
    Plot the derived Gaussian curve on graph paper. Then with scissors cut out curve and weigh on an analytical balance to 0.1mg to determine AUC (area under curve).
    Good one

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post

Wouldn’t the SD be:

Var = 1.15^2 = 1.3225

Var = 1.3225 * 100 = 132.25

SD = 132.25^0.5 = 11.5 (units)

?
    The ? was supposed to be a square root sign. What you did above, while correct, is unnecessary. Why bother squaring, to get variance, only to undo the square by taking square root? Just take the square root of the number of rounds (sqrt 100 = 10) and multiply by the single-hand s.d.: 10 x 1.15 = 11.5.

Then proceed as Dog Hand did. Get the z-statistic and refer to the chart to get probability of being ahead after specified number of rounds.

Don

Obviously, it means 1.15 times the Square Root of 100
    Bizarre, Don's post wasn't showig on my screen when I replied. Sorry!
    Last edited by G Man; 07-20-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    G Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast