See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travelling with large amounts of cash

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I have pre-check and was randomly selected for the full body scan machine at McCarran, but I had $40K in my pockets. when asked if I had anything in my pockets, I informed the agent operating the scan machine that I had cash in my pockets and was uncomfortable taking it out. They insisted that I put the cash through x-ray, and provided me one of those white plastic bowls, about 6-8 inches in diameter.

I sort of grinned and whispered to him that I did not think it would fit. He asked, "Why, how much do you have?", and I told him. He then grabbed 2 larger bowls. We stuffed the cash in one of them, it barely fit, then covered with the second bowl so no one could see the cash go through x-ray.

When the x-ray agent saw it, he shouts out "HEY WHOSE CASH IS THIS?" and "HOW MUCH CASH IS THIS?" Luckily, there were only a few travelers in the pre-check security area. I replied "you cannot ask me that" or something similar implying it was not his business to ask as I was not travelling overseas. He again insisted and I refused to shout any answer to him in this very open space, especially since I had already told the amount to first agent. He argued back that I he "absolutely COULD ask me how much it was," but by this time the first agent swooped in, told the x-ray guy to give me the money, and then accompanied me to the table where the chemical testing equipment is and then stood next to the partition to block anyone's view of me moving the cash back into my pockets. The first agent was an excellent dude and was very helpful to me all the way through.

I thought that was going to be it, but he asks me to accompany him now to speak with a third agent with whom hw discussed whether it was OK to let me go with that amount of cash. The third agent initially started talking about asking for documentation of where the money came from which elicited a slightly combative reply from me, but then he indicated that they no longer have this requirement.

I clarified that since the need for documentation was no longer in effect, could I get to my flight, and they let me go. The agent at the x-ray was a clueless moron and the third guy was looking for an excuse to hassle me and throw his weight around. Beware the many personality types and levels of clueless-ness of your local TSA team.

I have read many tips and stories on getting cash through security, but I was not adequately prepared to know exactly what to do when I was in that situation. I got through security, but felt a little exposed and am glad that the security area was pretty empty. if it had been very busy, my bowl of cash would have smooshed at the end of the belt between backpacks and duffel bags with dozens of lookie-loos.

Playing unrated, I would have had no way to show the source of the cash if they had pushed the issue, and they could have held my cash, I think. I am still not clear if that would have been legal for them to do, but if they held my cash it would have cost legal fees to get it back. I do not have a letter from my attorney, as I have seen suggested by others, that states why I occasionally carry large sums of cash, but this incident has me thinking about getting one. A money belt in my pants would have helped conceal all the cash, facilitate the x-ray, and provided a little extra protection from a few Benjamins slipping out of my open envelopes. Next time I am bringing the belt.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    If you think TSA agents won't tip off other officials who CAN seize your money, you're wrong!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I’ve traveled several times domestically with 30K to 70K. No issues. I keep the money in my backpack and don’t attempt to artfully conceal the money. One of my good friends was traveling with me and he had 160K on him and I had 70K. TSA pulled him off to the side to ask him a few questions. They took a photo copy of his ID, but let him go on his way. They didn’t bother with me. You’ll be fine.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryemo View Post
    I’ve traveled several times domestically with 30K to 70K. No issues. I keep the money in my backpack and don’t attempt to artfully conceal the money. One of my good friends was traveling with me and he had 160K on him and I had 70K. TSA pulled him off to the side to ask him a few questions. They took a photo copy of his ID, but let him go on his way. They didn’t bother with me. You’ll be fine.
    Pretty much agree, has been my experience thus far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12