See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stand on HARD 10?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post

It is statistically correct to scratch one’s own balls with their left hand. But, every so often, just for a change of pace (pardon the pun), it feels good to do so with the right.
    Pray tell, why is it statistically correct to scratch with your left hand?

Hi Don, in my Basic Blackjack book, printed in 2003, Surrender after Splitting is discussed on page 84 (not 74), with the same content that you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Speaking of kindle versions, any info on when the kindle version of Blackjack Attack will be out.
    No, sorry. I'll let you know. Promise.

Don

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    Hi Don, in my Basic Blackjack book, printed in 2003, Surrender after Splitting is discussed on page 84 (not 74), with the same content that you wrote.
    My edition is 1992! After 21 years, he must have added 10 pages of new material!

Don

However, I also stated that as this was a once in a lifetime occurrence, and further that he had the benefit of next card information that clearly put him so far ahead as it was, that OP needn’t risk the mathematically correct play.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but it makes no sense to me. Everyone knows that the dealer exposed the cards and that you know what they are. You really think, in that situation, that surrendering actually looks more "normal" than simply standing? I can't imagine why you'd think that.

And with a difference in e.v. of over 30%, if I had a decent wager out, I'd be damned if I'd give away 30% of it, only to make a play that would look just as "weird" as standing. (Who the hell ever surrenders a 10, and to a 4, no less?)

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but it makes no sense to me. Everyone knows that the dealer exposed the cards and that you know what they are. You really think, in that situation, that surrendering actually looks more "normal" than simply standing? I can't imagine why you'd think that.

And with a difference in e.v. of over 30%, if I had a decent wager out, I'd be damned if I'd give away 30% of it, only to make a play that would look just as "weird" as standing. (Who the hell ever surrenders a 10, and to a 4, no less?)

Don
    Don, everything you say is true, and everything I said also makes sense when it’s equated against the fact that you were a probable loser on doubling the first hand, had next card info not been available in the first place, added to the fact that you are so far ahead as it is.

I recall some years ago you posted something about not having taken insurance at true 2.8, with a hard 20, because the strike point had not been reached, a bet which you said was lost (not that it matters). Sometimes, it’s okay to deviate from the missionary position.

I’ve often made comments about artistry in play. I’m not so concerned with your comments about giving up 30% on a particular play, because, among other things, I know I’m good enough to turn other shit into something of value. Further, the next card info was even more valuable. Further to that, my style of play is such.....well, the point has been made.

I truly appreciate your brilliance. Though the OP has asked opinion on something highly unusual, beyond the math on other queries, issues such as bankroll, tolerance to risk, EV maximizing to risk averse, and a number of other questions, can easily alter the answer to any question.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    My edition is 1992! After 21 years, he must have added 10 pages of new material!

Don
    Wongs Professional BJ has changed over the years which makes reference to it sometimes problematic. I think somewhere along the line, he changes from flooring to truncating, to calculate values, which can also be a pain.

Regardless of those issues, for the hi lo and halves player, this book has to be the best book out there for the new player, and an absolute go to reference for the experienced player.

Just for the record, I would never recommend BJA3 for the newbie rookie, but as an absolute must have for any serious players library, with reams and reams of info.
    Last edited by Freightman; 07-08-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Colon View Post
    Pray tell, why is it statistically correct to scratch with your left hand?
    Perhaps the link below will assist you in your query.

https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/dress-left-right/

Wongs Professional BJ has changed over the years which makes reference to it sometimes problematic. I think somewhere along the line, he changes from flooring to truncating, to calculate values, which can also be a pain.

Regardless of those issues, for the hi lo and halves player, this book has to be the best book out there for the new player, and an absolute go to reference for the experienced player.

Just for the record, I would never recommend BJA3 for the newbie rookie, but as an absolute must have for any serious players library, with reams and reams of info.
    But in this case, Don (and me) were referring to "Basic Blackjack", not "Professional Blackjack". Just for the protocol :-)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345