See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Found the ultimate game...UNTIL...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Found the ultimate game...UNTIL...

Hello all. Long time, first time. I was enjoying a night out at my local church festival when I noticed the blackjack tent; naturally I was curious so I went in to check out the rules. They were as follows: 6 deck, 3:2 BJ, S17, DD any 2 cards, DAS, RSA, Surrender, NO burn card, and best of all - 100% Penetration! Yes you read that correctly - meaning when the shoe ran out of cards the dealer had a second, pre-shuffled shoe ready to draw from. Jackpot!

I could barely contain my excitement as I bought in for a cool $200 (table limits $2-$25; I figured with even a modest spread I could snag a few hundred here over the weekend; my thoughts were already racing forward to other upcoming church festivals throughout the summer, assuming their rules were similar). The first shoe stayed fairly neutral, and as expected - ended at exactly zero with the last card; so I knew they were playing a fair game.

It wasn't until the last deck or so of the second shoe that I discovered why the church wasn't going broke over this game. The count was high and I had my max ($25 lol) bet out there; caught a 9-2, they let me DD, caught a face for 21, and was already drooling over how much EV I could generate from this game over the summer. The wind was quickly knocked out of my sails when the dealer hit to 21, then proceeded to scoop up my $50 and put it in his rack. I reminded him that I had also had 21, so the hand is a push. He (and everyone else at the table) said - almost in unison - "dealer wins all pushes". "Sorry - I thought everyone already knew that". I said nothing, scooped up the remainder of my chips and quietly walked away, my hopes for a profitable summer festival season squashed like a bug.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing the "dealer wins all pushes" rule puts the house edge at roughly 8.5%, even with those other great rules.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Did it take two shoes to notice this.

"Dealer wins all ties" is a normal rule for church/Vegas night/charity blackjack games.

That was my first push in 2 shoes, and I rarely ever pay attention to what other players (especially ploppies) are winning/losing.

ShipTheCookies - guess I haven't played enough charity blackjack to notice. In the future I'll just donate directly to the church.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    They would have to be very careful about how the cards are collected during and after the rounds which use some cards from one shoe and some from the (preshuffled) next shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderpop View Post
    ShipTheCookies - guess I haven't played enough charity blackjack to notice. In the future I'll just donate directly to the church.
    Why not considered any losses as donations and just play anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    Why not considered any losses as donations and just play anyway...
    I don't play to lose :-)

I don't play to lose :-)
    Sure, but if you just donate it, you're losing anyway. might as well play and enjoy it.

I saw a similar game like that in a bar in Sweden. People lost their money quick but didn’t seem to care. They just played to kill time, and socialize.

That was my first push in 2 shoes, and I rarely ever pay attention to what other players (especially ploppies) are winning/losing.
    Same. I'll react with the rest of the table for cover, but I'm not actually paying attention to their w/l, just the occasional watching of spread to check for same-table APs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    Sure, but if you just donate it, you're losing anyway. might as well play and enjoy it.
    Pretty sure he was speaking figuratively.

big mistake not to watch the other hands your first time playing just to discover all the rules