See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: re: question about swings

  1. #1


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

    re: question about swings

    I'm a newbie, but I've practiced for months with Casino Verite. I'm sure that I'm playing correctly: strategy, counting and bet spreads. I'm playing a 6 deck game at a reputable casino, no surrender, RSA, DAS, hit S17, the penetration is 70%.

    I have a 5G bankroll, but take only $500 with me each time I play (frequency is 3 times a wk for varied amounts of time). I'm betting $10 minimum bet, with a spread of 1-6. I'm using the Hi-Lo count. I do not split hands.

    I began with a $404 loss, then built to +$1,172 (not including my buy-in), then another losing streak took me down to +$87, now I'm back up to +$674.

    My question is this: Are these types of swings common?

  2. #2


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraBlack View Post
    I'm using the Hi-Lo count. I do not split hands.
    An exceptional expensive ommission!

    You can not beat that game long term with a 1-6 spread, think 1-12 and spilt as dictated by basic strategy.

    And yes, the swings can be brutal.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

  3. #3


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraBlack View Post
    I have a 5G bankroll, but take only $500 with me each time I play (frequency is 3 times a wk for varied amounts of time). I'm betting $10 minimum bet, with a spread of 1-6. I'm using the Hi-Lo count. I do not split hands.
    You need to take more than $500 with you. With top bets of $60, you are going to lose the $500 too often.

    Also, hoping that, when you wrote, "I do not split hands," you meant "tens"!

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraBlack View Post
    I began with a $404 loss, then built to +$1,172 (not including my buy-in), then another losing streak took me down to +$87, now I'm back up to +$674.

    My question is this: Are these types of swings common?
    Absolutely.

    Don

  4. #4


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraBlack View Post
    I'm a newbie, but I've practiced for months with Casino Verite. I'm sure that I'm playing correctly: strategy, counting and bet spreads. I'm playing a 6 deck game at a reputable casino, no surrender, RSA, DAS, hit S17, the penetration is 70%.
    The proper term to use if the dealer hits soft 17 is H17. If the dealer stays on soft 17 then the term is S17.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Agharta
    Posts
    1,698


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I hope your bankroll is replenishible. Also expect long periods of breaking even-which can be even more frustrating than mere losing.

  6. #6


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    1-6 spread is not enough to beat the game you listed.

  7. #7


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraBlack View Post
    the penetration is 70%.
    This is a poor game.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Agharta
    Posts
    1,698


    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    This is a poor game.

    Not if it's vulnerable to shuffle tracking. In those scenarios, I prefer 50% pen.

  9. #9


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Not if it's vulnerable to shuffle tracking. In those scenarios, I prefer 50% pen.
    True. there are some games I'd prefer a shuffle after one round, but this is a newbie talking about counting.

  10. #10


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Not if it's vulnerable to shuffle tracking. In those scenarios, I prefer 50% pen.
    Why 50% pen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Swings/Bankroll
    By Oneoffthecount in forum General Blackjack Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

About Blackjack: The Forum

BJTF is an advantage player site based on the principles of comity. That is, civil and considerate behavior for the mutual benefit of all involved. The goal of advantage play is the legal extraction of funds from gaming establishments by gaining a mathematic advantage and developing the skills required to use that advantage. To maximize our success, it is important to understand that we are all on the same side. Personal conflicts simply get in the way of our goals.