See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    Apparently, that person's comment was not true. The party is over.
    I am baffled by his nowhere-near-optimal betting in the final round. To be fair, she would have won if they both bet correctly AND if they both got the correct answer. But his bet?

Can anyone explain? Did I miss something?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by RCJH View Post
    I am baffled by his nowhere-near-optimal betting in the final round. To be fair, she would have won if they both bet correctly AND if they both got the correct answer. But his bet?

Can anyone explain? Did I miss something?
    I didn’t see the whole show, but it was clear that she was no slouch, had picked up in his betting strategy.

James was never winning if the lady got the right answer. He only had to make sure that he would beat the guy with 11k. If everyone got the wrong answer, then James wins, because the lady, though smart, doesn’t get optimal betting and will wager a shitload.

If the lady gets the right answer, then James loses. If the lady gets the wrong answer, and the guy in last place gets it right, going all in with James getting it wrong, then James still wins.

He made the optimal bet.

Agree with Freightman. He said he was only concerned with securing 2nd place, because even if James would have wagered everything, he still would have lost by $1. His only hope for winning was if she didn’t know the correct answer. He made the right bet.

Now, what’s absolutely fascinating is - what if the lady really really gets it, and really really knows her opponent, James. What will be her wager?

Any takers on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I didn’t see the whole show, but it was clear that she was no slouch, had picked up in his betting strategy.

James was never winning if the lady got the right answer. He only had to make sure that he would beat the guy with 11k. If everyone got the wrong answer, then James wins, because the lady, though smart, doesn’t get optimal betting and will wager a shitload.

If the lady gets the right answer, then James loses. If the lady gets the wrong answer, and the guy in last place gets it right, going all in with James getting it wrong, then James still wins.

He made the optimal bet.
    Ah, that makes sense. TY

He made the optimal bet.
    You are wrong about the lady Frieghtman, about not getting “optimal betting”. She did the math perfectly and bet the right amount, which was $1 more than James if James bet it all and got the answer right. James would have still lost by $1 if the lady got the answer right too. .

For the record, James said he knew that’s what she would bet since it was the optimal bet for her. James knew his only hope of winning was for her to get the answer wrong. There was no bet strategy for him to over take her. Thus, his bet strategy only involved making sure he beat the 3rd place person

I know it’s shocking to some that a lady that is not a professional gambler knew how to bet optimally. To James credit, he did not think this same way. He could tell she was smart and would bet optimally.
    Last edited by Dbs6582; 06-03-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Now, what’s absolutely fascinating is - what if the lady really really gets it, and really really knows her opponent, James. What will be her wager?

Any takers on this one?
    $1,800. But we can play prisoner's dilemma all day with this one. :-)

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dbs6582 View Post
    You are wrong about the lady Frieghtman about not getting “optimal betting”. She did the math perfectly and bet the right amount, which was $1 more than James if James bet it all and got the answer right. James would have still lost by $1 if the lady got the answer right too. .

For the record, James said he knew that’s what she would bet since it was the optimal bet for her.

I know it’s shocking to some that a lady that is not a professional gambler knew how to bet optimal. To James credit, he did not think this same way. He could tell she was smart and would bet optimally.
    One of the cardinal sins of Jeopardy! is that it should NEVER be the case that a) you are leading going into Final Jeopardy!, b) you get the right answer, but c) somehow, you don't bet enough and lose. That is inexcusable, and should NEVER happen. And so, of course the woman made the correct bet under the circumstances.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dbs6582 View Post
    You are wrong about the lady Frieghtman, about not getting “optimal betting”. She did the math perfectly and bet the right amount, which was $1 more than James if James bet it all and got the answer right. James would have still lost by $1 if the lady got the answer right too. .

For the record, James said he knew that’s what she would bet since it was the optimal bet for her. James knew his only hope of winning was for her to get the answer wrong. There was no bet strategy for him to over take her. Thus, his bet strategy only involved making sure he beat the 3rd place person

I know it’s shocking to some that a lady that is not a professional gambler knew how to bet optimally. To James credit, he did not think this same way. He could tell she was smart and would bet optimally.
    Dipshit
    Of course, you failed to understand the parameters of the question, which in itself is not a surprise. Take a look at post 31, cross reference it to post 34, and maybe the light will come on.

If you just don’t get it, a good probability for you, let me know where you’re playing your next poker game.

Dipshit
    Of course, you failed to understand the parameters of the question, which in itself is not a surprise. Take a look at post 31, cross reference it to post 34, and maybe the light will come on.

If you just don’t get it, a good probability for you, let me know where you’re playing your next poker game.
    Just for the Dipshit - this should help you out.
    https://youtu.be/4bWKhGgEA8s

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    $1,800. But we can play prisoner's dilemma all day with this one. :-)

Don
    I didn’t recall of the exact numbers, but 1800 sounds about right. Of course, a Schlesinger calculation is usually right

Quote Originally Posted by RCJH View Post
    I am baffled by his nowhere-near-optimal betting in the final round.
    He made the optimal bet.

If they both got it right, there's no way he could win because she would bet enough to top him (especially in a category so strong for her - she was an English major at Princeton).
    He bet just enough to beat the third place guy by $1. The only way he could have won was if she got it wrong and bet big, and he got it right.

Dipshit

Freightman, here is a direct quote from your post #29: "...because the lady, though smart, doesn’t get optimal betting and will wager a shitload."

If you paid any attention to this show or read James comments after he lost, you would have never made such a male chauvinistic comment. One paid sports gambling site I'm a member of said she used "perfect math" to determine her final bet. She did not bet a "shitload" without thinking as you seem to think.

James said if he was in her position this is how much he would have wagered. He didn't sell his competition short. He knew what she was going to bet, and he was right all the way down to the extra dollar.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast