Thread: Does side counting aces benefit hi lo or wong halves?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Does side counting aces benefit hi lo or wong halves?

I use the halves count. Does side counting aces serve a benefit with this count? Im not looking to change counts. I play DD. How do i use the information on surplus or depletion of aces remaining? Never side counted before.
    May the Variance be with you.

For play decisions at DD
    insurance at 2.7 true can be adjusted up or down
    ace sensitive 10v10, 10vA, 99v7
    soft doubles
    11v 10 or 9
    For a start

For bet decisions, how would these scenarios play:

0 count but 8 aces left half a deck in

+3 half deck in but only 4 aces left

+8 with 1 deck left but only 2 aces remain

Already ace reckoned, so in theory, no bet change. This is a scenario more suited to an ace neutral count. However, to give you clarity, more easily explained using hi lo

one deck remains at RC 0, with otherwise normal distribution. This means 22 789 value cards, 15 23456 value cards, and 15 10jqka value cards. Under normal conditions, this means 3 aces and 12 face value cards. With your first card as an ace, you now have 12 chances out of 25, or about 50% to get BJ.

However, you are asking about 8 aces remaining with 1 deck. With your first card as an ace, you now have only 7 face value cards remaining out of 25, which means about 25% probability of BJ. Of course, you can manipulate the percentages in your favour by getting a face value card first. Different arguments for soft doubles.

The of ace side counts in ace reckoned counts is to improve play decisions, not betting decisions.

Wong in his 1978 edition of Professional Blackjack presented a method for the side count of Aces. He dropped it in later editions because of the complexity and it just wasn't worth that much. As mentioned above the Ace is already reckoned in the primary count.

There's a lot on this topic in Million Dollar Blackjack. For adding ASC to an ace-reckoned count, I believe you would use your main count for betting. Then for playing decisions you adjust your main count by some amount based on ace density and use that second count for playing decisions. Too much mental effort IMO.

If I were going to start doing ASC I'd probably go with a non-ace-reconciled main count to help with insurance accuracy instead of trying to add an ASC to an ace-reckoned count.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    For bet decisions, how would these scenarios play:

0 count but 8 aces left half a deck in

+3 half deck in but only 4 aces left

+8 with 1 deck left but only 2 aces remain
    I would/think believe for betting purposes you would add or subtract 1/2 the value of what you tag the ace in the main count..So ADD +1 for every 2 aces left in the deck... 1223210-1-2-2.5 has a BC of .9941

For playing purposes, it would be a diff. approach..
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

Not really. You'd be better off using Hi-Opt 1 with Ace Sides and Multi-parameter indexes. Higher PE than High-Low or Halves and with the side of Aces high Bet correlation as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk