Thread: Paying for spotters

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Smile Paying for spotters

What is your guys opinion about paying a spotter hourly vs a percentage of the win? The bankroll is going to be all from me so the spotters are just keeping count and passing it to me.

Difficult to make it fair if they get a % of the win (free roll). It gets tough if it’s a short term play because you can’t really afford to pay based on win for a short play due to the variance. On a longer term play where you have a higher chance of showing profit, then it’s not so bad. But it’s tough to do in general.

IMO, best thing is to pay them either an hourly rate or based on the EV generated.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

I think BJA3 has several pages how much spotters are worth if I'm not mistaken. I think I would want to look at that first.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
    I think BJA3 has several pages how much spotters are worth if I'm not mistaken. I think I would want to look at that first.
    Pages 10-13. Of course, not everyone will agree.

Don

Thanks guys!

I would go for a hourly pay treated as expenses.
    G Man

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I would go for a hourly pay treated as expenses.
    Write it off as business expense? Employee?

Business expenses or salary doesn't make a difference to me, they come down from EV or CE. If you're serious about Blackjack, you must have a "business plan". When you look at EV or CE of a game, you have to incorporate all expenses before deciding on going for the play or not. That includes airfaires, cabs, rental cars, etc. If for example you decided that all expenses should never exceed 20% CE (or 10% EV), then figure out the cost of the play and add to it whatever you want to pay the spotters and see if it still fits in your plan for that particular play.
    G Man

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Business expenses or salary doesn't make a difference to me, they come down from EV or CE. If you're serious about Blackjack, you must have a "business plan". When you look at EV or CE of a game, you have to incorporate all expenses before deciding on going for the play or not. That includes airfaires, cabs, rental cars, etc. If for example you decided that all expenses should never exceed 20% CE (or 10% EV), then figure out the cost of the play and add to it whatever you want to pay the spotters and see if it still fits in your plan for that particular play.
    I live in Vegas.

Sounds perfect!
    Gas and parking fees are your only expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by spitz View Post
    I live in Vegas.
    I also live in Vegas.

PM me for some suggestions.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!