See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Isn't Heads Up Against the Dealer Better?

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Isn't Heads Up Against the Dealer Better?

I thought playing heads up against the dealer would yield more EV than a full table because you get more rounds in positive counts especially when the count is high at the end of the shoe. Also, I read (can't remember where) that there is not much reason to play more than one hand when you are heads up. However, CVCX seems to contradict this theory, at least for a six deck shoe. Using Hi-Lo I noticed that the EV is higher and the ROR is lower with 4 players than 1 at the table. Also, it seems better to play 2 hands even with 1 player.

I am assuming that the players variable includes myself. Is that wrong? Would heads up actually be players = 0? I confess, I did not run my own heads up sim. I'm using one of the included sims.

Any thoughts or insight?

Thank you in advance.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    did u keep rounds played the same?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Game speed is one of the biggest differences when playing heads up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    did u keep rounds played the same?
    I assume you mean rounds per hour. I did forget that but that only explains half of it. The hourly win will go up because of faster play but why does the risk-of-ruin increase with less players. Seems like that should be the same. Thank you for your reply.

Blog Entries

Hi Three. Thanks for the reply. Please see my response above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    I assume you mean rounds per hour. I did forget that but that only explains half of it. The hourly win will go up because of faster play but why does the risk-of-ruin increase with less players. Seems like that should be the same. Thank you for your reply.
    I am guessing a bit here. But you would get a lot more big bets in a row when you finally get a big count. A bad run of many max bets in a row has a much more of an impact on your BR than spreading that same bad run out over more rounds and missing it in with a lot of other situations. Probably a question for Don.

I assume you mean rounds per hour. I did forget that but that only explains half of it.
    No, it explains all of it.

The hourly win will go up because of faster play but why does the risk-of-ruin increase with less players.
    It doesn't. If you're betting optimally, it will stay the same.

Don

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Increasing the number of players/hands at the table increases the effective penetration as more cards past the cut card are dealt.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Increasing the number of players/hands at the table increases the effective penetration as more cards past the cut card are dealt.
    That's certainly true, but it can't have anything but the most trivial effect on something like ROR, because the bet is already placed for the round when the cut card comes out. The fact that more cards are now dealt to four players than to one can only affect the play of the hand for the last player (which is how we do the sims), and, frankly, I doubt that this could be the cause for anything discussed above.

Don

Blog Entries

If the discussion is about RoR as calculated by CVCX, it is important to understand that CVCX cannot exactly match the requested RoR unless your bankroll is infinite because you cannot bet to the penny. It will get as close to the requested RoR as allowed by the settings.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse