See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Reasons Why So Many Poker Pros Die Broke

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post

Machines around 200/hour
    It is not enough for AP slots game ))
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 02-03-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

That is the reason why I only stick to the games I know I can influence (BJ, Poker)

Live cash games, 2/5, 5/10, sometimes 10/25, no limit hold em as well as PLO.

I don't think playing poker affects heat, if anything it might add to it.

Games i play in probably range from 50 to 100$/hour. Im making around $80/hour at poker overall

BJ im around 300-500/hour

Machines around 200/hour
    Thanks for clarifying. Pretty decent income if one can get the necessary skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramazeka View Post
    It is not enough for AP slots game ))
    I didnt say slots

Its a game always available with 0 heat

i've played poker for a long time for a living.
    in the 7 or 8 years i played full time online i had one losing month.
    games online are way harder now than they were back then. if i played the same way today that i did in 2006 i would lose online and probably squeak out ten bucks an hour live. but i made in 2006 more than at least 99 percent of poker pros will make in 2019 myself included. the games were butter soft.

live i win about 65% of my sessions.
    i made double in 2018 what i did in 2017. i ran way better in 2018. in 2017 i had 4 losing months , in 2018 i had 1 and i lost very small that month.in 2016 i think i had 2 losing months, one of them very small.

i'm unusually responsible with money for a poker player.
    i was in the right place at the right time during the online poker boom and unlike most who did well in online poker back then i saved the vast majority of my money and invested it well.

most poker players are HORRIBLE with money and with disipline. they play in much bigger games than they should. they tilt when running badly. they make stupid loans to degenerates.

i don't think i'm great at poker, i think i'm decent but decent and smart with money gets the money. lots of players better than me are dead broke. sure for every 50 taking shots they shouldn't be taking playing well over their heads a few will run well and think they're crushers. and most of those will piss the money away on expensive nonsense they don't need thinking the gravy train will never end.

most poker players have massive egos. ego is so stupid in poker. they play higher against much better players and lose big. they have a few amazing months, think it's sustainable and spend like they're make that much money forever. it's a joke really.

it's the same thing with tournaments these days. yes there are a few crushers but outside of that there are so many players basically playing the same +ev strategy and inevitably a few will just run super hot for a year and make piles of money. tons of equally skilled tourny grinders will make peanuts or even have losing YEARS.but they all think that there huge score is just around the corner.

honestly there is so much scum and fraud in the poker world i'm getting really sick of it- but i still make good money so i'm going to keep at it for a while.

i'm seen so many players playing 25/50 nl and two years later playing 1/2 nl.

most of the players you see on tv are complete broke frauds and /or con artists.
    Last edited by tomf23; 02-04-2019 at 05:01 AM.

I've played poker for over 25 years, and my observation is that most poker players have an insufficient bankroll and no concept of risk of ruin. They get a paycheck, head over to the poker room, and play until they run out of money. Then on the first of the month you see them back in the poker room (or the craps table or roulette game).

I recently had lunch with a decent poker player who was moaning about recent losses. He was really upset, and I told him that a solid bankroll was the answer. What he was doing was playing cash games, and when he won he would spend his winnings. After a few small losses he was out of money until payday.
    Last edited by mofungoo; 02-04-2019 at 09:14 AM.

I didnt say slots

Its a game always available with 0 heat
    Hit them hard when you find them! They can disappear rather quickly.

Live cash games, 2/5, 5/10, sometimes 10/25, no limit hold em as well as PLO.

I don't think playing poker affects heat, if anything it might add to it.

Games i play in probably range from 50 to 100$/hour. Im making around $80/hour at poker overall

BJ im around 300-500/hour

Machines around 200/hour
    Seems like a really solid win rate for live poker from what I`ve heard. Curious what area of the country you live in... California? If you`d rather not share that, I completely understand. I ask because I`ve heard from a couple poker players that the live cash games here in Vegas are pretty tough at those stakes. I`m sure there are people making that much, but my guess is probably not a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitFaceDisaster View Post
    Seems like a really solid win rate for live poker from what I`ve heard. Curious what area of the country you live in... California? If you`d rather not share that, I completely understand. I ask because I`ve heard from a couple poker players that the live cash games here in Vegas are pretty tough at those stakes. I`m sure there are people making that much, but my guess is probably not a whole lot.
    Never truly got the entire concept of AP poker. I understand that one should be betting in +EV territory, especially when your pot-odds are greater than your overall odds of making the nuts.

Other than that, gaining any other +EV (such a psychological play and "reading" players) seems elusive. Especially when it comes to bluffing and computing your opponents bluffing percent.

Cash games seem to be where the money is at. However, as a card counter, the overall mathematics of computing odds seems to be intuitive. The psychological aspect for 21 is known. Can't say the same for poker. Can't "read" a player to save my ass.

If poker were purely computationally mathematical, then yeah, sure, poker would be easy! The whole psychological aspect leaves me in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by dogman_1234 View Post
    Never truly got the entire concept of AP poker. I understand that one should be betting in +EV territory, especially when your pot-odds are greater than your overall odds of making the nuts.

Other than that, gaining any other +EV (such a psychological play and "reading" players) seems elusive. Especially when it comes to bluffing and computing your opponents bluffing percent.

Cash games seem to be where the money is at. However, as a card counter, the overall mathematics of computing odds seems to be intuitive. The psychological aspect for 21 is known. Can't say the same for poker. Can't "read" a player to save my ass.

If poker were purely computationally mathematical, then yeah, sure, poker would be easy! The whole psychological aspect leaves me in the dark.
    It's easy to win in poker if you're playing against a bunch of drunk retards. You don't have to be super strong at reading people. Just play good hands / good position. Don't sit down at the table where everyone has a hoodie, sunglasses, and earphones in (they're all pros). After playing for a while, reading people should come naturally, assuming you're actively paying attention to what's going on.

At least that's how it was explained to me by people whom I know that are good at poker and have consistently won over time. I've played very little poker, but have watched from time to time, and it's pretty easy to tell which players are there just to have fun, who's actually good, and the in-betweens. EG: Look for the guy who's limping into every pot and rarely raises. Be careful with the guy who folds almost every hand - and the ones he doesn't fold, he raises.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast