See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hope No One is Traveling in Upper Midwest This Weekend

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Honey, you did a nice job on the path. Now you can start on the roof.

Blizzard 2019 Path.JPG

Time to move! I love in Mo, max snow fall at my place was 7" but this winter seems long and I am trying to convince the family to move! Don't know why you are so masochistic .

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Wind gusts now up to 57kt at a western U.P. airport. That is 65 mph and still getting worse. Most of the snow is over, but lake effect snow is starting up.
    https://www.windy.com/KCMX?47.168,-89.588,8
    We had the same 60 MPH gusts near Cleveland. Power was out for over two full days.

We had another 3 feet of snow last week in town...you aren't the only place that gets snow lol

Quote Originally Posted by Counting_Is_Fun View Post
    We had another 3 feet of snow last week in town...you aren't the only place that gets snow lol
    But do you have 22 feet of snow for the winter so far?

Honestly we don't keep track of it so closely...but a few miles away in the mountains, yes more than 264 inches would be around normal.

Actually now that I look it up...the yearly snowfall average is 392.1 inches. Get a plowtruck or some younger neighborhood kids with shovels so you stop falling so much.

Why don't you move somewhere else? Is it that you enjoy complaining so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Counting_Is_Fun View Post
    Actually now that I look it up...the yearly snowfall average is 392.1 inches. Get a plowtruck or some younger neighborhood kids with shovels so you stop falling so much.
    Can't compete with the mountains. I know they have way more snow. I remember visiting Rocky Mountain National park years ago in June and even then snow banks were like 20 feet high. However, just about no one lives there. The area I'm from has over 25,000 folks if you include the surrounding communities and every day folks get up and get out to work.

I'm assuming the place you are talking about is Wolf Creek CO and the only thing that is there is the ski resort. Try living in 22 feet of snow.
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...m-averages.php

Can't compete with the mountains. I know they have way more snow. I remember visiting Rocky Mountain National park years ago in June and even then snow banks were like 20 feet high. However, just about no one lives there. The area I'm from has over 25,000 folks if you include the surrounding communities and every day folks get up and get out to work.

I'm assuming the place you are talking about is Wolf Creek CO and the only thing that is there is the ski resort. Try living in 22 feet of snow.
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...m-averages.php
    Ha no but good guess...not too far off though. Anyway I was just giving you a hard time haha...good variance.

Two years ago in the Lake Tahoe area, they had over 50 feet of snow. There was still some unmelted snow on July 1st.

When this country was first settled we were in the end of the little ice age. Elizabethan clothes had so many layers because it was cold in England then. The roofs of period buildings are very steep and have boards nailed near the bottom of the roof to hold a few inches of snow as insulation. I believe deeper snow simply sloughed off when it got deep enough. These period dwelling also had doors that opened to empty space on the second and sometimes the third floor because the snow got that deep back then and that became their first floor when there was 10 to 20 feet of snow on the ground. Now we very rarely see more than 2 feet of snow and some winters don't get much snow to speak of at all.

Do you see construction with very steep roofs designed to slough off the snow on the UP? What about doors that open to thin are from the second floor or higher?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast