Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

bj tourney strategy

I am wondering if anyone has any smart advice for this tourney situation:

7 players at a final table

1st place gets 15k
    2nd place gets 7.5k
    3rd place gets 2.5k
    4th – 7th get 0

Everyone starts with 1000 chips, and we play 14 hands. Table min = 50, table max = 1000. Blackjacks pay 2 to 1 so each hand has +2% ev assuming you have enough chips to double/split. All 6 opponents are recreational/bad players, and they are all very likely to bet small on the first hand.

What are the keys to getting a big edge here?

Don't finish 4th.

i've wondered this myself. I've always wanted to try a tournament.

Ask Gronbog.

I have given advice on specific tournament formats a few times on this site. Search for posts made by me in threads containing the words "tournament" or "tourney", and see if you can find one that's similar.

The main characteristic you're looking for is situations where the max bet is a large fraction of the starting bankroll (1:1 in this case). This means that you can afford to be a fairly patient should you fall behind early.

The positive player edge is irrelevant since you're only playing 14 hands. You may want to factor in the ~4% chance that an opponent could win double his bet without having enough chips to double or split when sizing your bets near the end of the session. However, don't bother to cover this possibility If it means betting so much that you would give up a lead over another player should you lose your hand.

If you can't find another post that seems relevant to your situation, ask again and I will post some more specific advice.
    Last edited by Gronbog; 01-17-2019 at 08:36 PM.

OK, thanks for this advice Gronbog. I'll plan to look through your posts too.

Read-

Friedman, Joel, M.J. Garvey and Mark Goodfriend. A Sequential Decision Model for the Tournament Blackjack Endgame. Paper presented to the 5th National Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking; October 1981 (27 pages)
    – Interesting tournament strategy advice. Analyzes playing strategies that maximize the probability of winning the hand versus maximizing the probability of getting at least a push.
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)