Thread: Is getting "one-handed" a thing?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Is getting "one-handed" a thing?

I think just experienced what might be the mildest counter-measure ever. I was sitting one spot left of FB and alternating between playing that spot and playing both that spot and FB. I saw a pit critter in a position to be watching me, but dismissed it as paranoia, since I don't play high stakes and have never gotten any heat at this store.

As a very positive shoe came to an end, I had big bets on two spots (lost both bets, incidentally). Just as the cut card was about to come out, a pit critter (not sure his role - thought he was a regular floor guy, but could have been higher up) pops over, looks at how many cards are left in the shoe, and says something as quietly has he can to the dealer. Since he was standing by the shoe and I was near FB, I could hear more than he wanted me to. I'm pretty sure he said something like "I need you to one-hand this guy." The dealer seemed surprised and a little taken aback and I heard her response clearly: "Spot 1?" Pit critter says "yeah".

Is "one spotting" someone a thing? I've never heard of this before. If it is, it's a pretty mild counter-measure and I assume it's designed to give you the hint that you've played long enough, rather than actually making it so you can't make money.

I'd been about to leave anyway, so colored up and headed for the nearest exit; probably I should have stayed for another shoe (and seen whether penetration changed) and flat-bet to give the pit critter a reason to doubt himself. What would you have done?

Without personally being in that position, it's hard for me to say. But I'd think it's almost certainly wrong to immediately color up and leave. If it played out how I'm imagining it in my head, then I think I would've played another shoe -- and if possible, keep an eye on that floorman or anyone else taking any interest in my play. Then regardless, (color up if necessary) and leave. You could even go to a non-BJ table in the same pit and play for a little bit (pick one with lots of people, playing slowly etc.).
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Without personally being in that position, it's hard for me to say. But I'd think it's almost certainly wrong to immediately color up and leave. If it played out how I'm imagining it in my head, then I think I would've played another shoe -- and if possible, keep an eye on that floorman or anyone else taking any interest in my play. Then regardless, (color up if necessary) and leave. You could even go to a non-BJ table in the same pit and play for a little bit (pick one with lots of people, playing slowly etc.).
    Yes - that's what I was thinking as I was walking to my car...

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Yes - that's what I was thinking as I was walking to my car...
    Depends if others were wanting to play and you were taking up two spots only part of the time. Every time I was limited to one spot was because others wanted to play and there was no room for them at the table.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 01-17-2019 at 02:30 AM.

Some places only let you play two spots if you are playing rated. Obviously this wasn't the case.

I have been asked to play two spots all the time or give a spot up. I am happy to help them by giving up both when things get crowded. If they need one spot so bad two is even more helpful.

I was playing rated. I don't think it was an issue of "wasting" a spot - table wasn't especially crowded, nor were any ploppies complaining about me screwing up the flow or whatever. This store makes you play 2X the minimum if playing 2 hands or 3X the minimum with 3+ hands. I've seen guys playing 3 or 4 spots while people waited behind the table to play, so I don't think they normally worry too much about you taking the spots other people want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    This store makes you play 2X the minimum if playing 2 hands or 3X the minimum with 3+ hands.
    I love places like this. If you feel like you are going to win. You add a spot then they force you up the bet on each spot. Things seem better and you add another spot. Then the force you bet even more on each spot. Gotta love it.

Definitely sounds like things were heating up. It was time to look stupid. Probably not a good idea to make it look like the chased you away. They may be sending you a message you have stayed too long if they have been tolerating your play, in which case you should leave soon. They may be testing you for a reaction to see if you confirm their suspicion with your reaction. You want to fall somewhere in the middle. Don't get right up, but don't stay much longer. Start looking at your watch or asking the dealer what time it is. Then after a while but not too long get up and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Definitely sounds like things were heating up. It was time to look stupid. Probably not a good idea to make it look like the chased you away. They may be sending you a message you have stayed too long if they have been tolerating your play, in which case you should leave soon. They may be testing you for a reaction to see if you confirm their suspicion with your reaction. You want to fall somewhere in the middle. Don't get right up, but don't stay much longer. Start looking at your watch or asking the dealer what time it is. Then after a while but not too long get up and leave.
    Agree that would have been the right approach. I'll do that next time, assuming there is one at this store...