See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick opinions please

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quick opinions please

Here I am, having lunch in a neighbourhood Irish pub. Good lunch specials, and food is good anD reasonably priced.

A new waitress served me. She brought the dish over and was talking on her cell phone at the same time. I’m wondering about how muc( to tip. I’m usually pretty generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Here I am, having lunch in a neighbourhood Irish pub. Good lunch specials, and food is good anD reasonably priced.

A new waitress served me. She brought the dish over and was talking on her cell phone at the same time. I’m wondering about how muc( to tip. I’m usually pretty generous.
    If you are a cheap SOB like me, then 10% is plenty. I might tip more if the meal is comped.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    If you are a cheap SOB like me, then 10% is plenty. I might tip more if the meal is comped.
    Problem is - I’m not a cheap S.O.B. I just thought it was rude. My I’m not really happy tip is 15%. My favourite waitress in this place is an older woman, who works hard for her tips, and is appreciative at getting them. Depending on the excess change in my pocket, I give her 25% to 35%. I’ve had 2 occasions, elsewhere, in the last 6 months or so where my tip was zero. I was pretty pissed.

I’ve decided to give this one 15%, and I’ll mention the transgression to my favourite waitress.

I base my tip on 20% for food and NA drinks only. For poor service they can earn a lower tip all the way down to nothing. For good or great service the tip goes up. If I thought the waitress was rude I would tip 15% if everything else was fine.

In the US I would say 8% exactly. That's what the government says you got, regardless of what you claim. A smart server knows that is a stiff, and a stiff from someone who knows how to tip, so they really effed up somewhere.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I agree with the 15% in this case. I also like to tip generously if everything is copasetic (25% - 30%, and sometimes more if it's a small bill). In my view, the best way to spend your money is on people (vs. things) especially when you know it will be appreciated. But when the service is careless or neglectful I cut it back.

I would ask her for her cell phone number. When she asks why, I would say, "in case there's a problem with my meal, or I need anything, I can call or text you."

On an unrelated note, here's a mind boggling transaction that occurred today:
    I went to pick up some sports equipment being adjusted. Guy said, "that will be $52.50."
    I opened my wallet, didn't have any tens, so I pulled out three 20s and three 1s.
    He looked at me and said, "What's this?"
    I said, "$63. I don't have a ten."
    He then said, "So is this a tip?"
    I said, "No, this is so you can give me a ten dollar bill and two quarters in change."
    "Ohhhh..."

Yes, you could talk to your favorite waitress, or the manager or owner, but why not go straight to the actual waitress? She probably has no clue that it's rude, and without feedback she will remain ' in the dark.' There is a small chance she will appreciate your candor or take your feedback to heart, but a bigger reason is that you may feel better going straight to her. You could say something like, "It surprised me when you were on the phone while serving me. Overall, I think people appreciate a server's undivided attention."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    I agree with the 15% in this case. I also like to tip generously if everything is copasetic (25% - 30%, and sometimes more if it's a small bill). In my view, the best way to spend your money is on people (vs. things) especially when you know it will be appreciated. But when the service is careless or neglectful I cut it back.
    This past Sunday, I took my son, his wife and 3 kids out for a Sunday brunch. My other boy and his wife couldn’t make it. This is a first class buffet, and I really like going there with the grandkids. They open up a ballroom, which gives the kids plenty of room, we have a nice big table. We’ve gone there for years, and we’re known there. The waitresses are always around refilling coffee, orange juice anD water.

So, for 4 adults at 27 per, the 2 and 3 year olds at no charge, and the 6 year old at half price, the tab is 121.50 plus tax for about 127.50. Expectations at buffets are less, though I popped 150 on the table, and was thanked after being asked if I wanted change, which I refused.

Just a slice over 20%, on a self serve buffet is pretty good, especially when people tend to tip less if a percentage in a larger dollar amount, even if all parameters have been satisfied. Oh, and the waitresses didn’t have a phone at their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    I would ask her for her cell phone number. When she asks why, I would say, "in case there's a problem with my meal, or I need anything, I can call or text you."

On an unrelated note, here's a mind boggling transaction that occurred today:
    I went to pick up some sports equipment being adjusted. Guy said, "that will be $52.50."
    I opened my wallet, didn't have any tens, so I pulled out three 20s and three 1s.
    He looked at me and said, "What's this?"
    I said, "$63. I don't have a ten."
    He then said, "So is this a tip?"
    I said, "No, this is so you can give me a ten dollar bill and two quarters in change."
    "Ohhhh..."
    10-1 the clerk was young - for 2 reasons. First, younger people have this sense iof entitlement. Second, simple arithmetic skills are beyond the grasp of the young - they have been spoiled by calculators and computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    waitresses didn’t have a phone at their ears.
    They were more up to date and using a Bluetooth headset?

Quote Originally Posted by RCJH View Post
    In the US I would say 8% exactly. That's what the government says you got, regardless of what you claim. A smart server knows that is a stiff, and a stiff from someone who knows how to tip, so they really effed up somewhere.
    Think I’ll check the relevant Canadian tax law. Your comments are very worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    They were more up to date and using a Bluetooth headset?
    No, their manner was pleasant, with the extra bonus of listening to their customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast