See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone explain this to me?

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Can anyone explain this to me?

Blackjack Apprentice offers quarterly "Boot-camps" where prospective AP's learn the art of the trade, allegedly from other competent and skilled AP's.

Not too bad. However, there is a catch:

https://www.blackjackapprenticeship.com/bootcamp/

Keep scrolling until you hit the body of the page that list "What's My Investment."

Holy shit! Really? 3 grand to learn High Low?! In two days?

Maybe I'm spoiled because I have access to affordable literature that I bough from my local book store plus access to other AP's who are willing to point me in the right direction.

But, seriously? 3K? I imagine Tarzan's book is cheaper than this and offers a little more in terms of EV (going off Eric Farmers Perfect Play sim data https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...r-optimal-play and Gronbog's sim data of T count https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...l=1#post236595 )

Why not just get Wong's Professional Blackjack and learn either High Low or Halves? Most likely 100x cheaper.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I think it was Moo who recruited for Bootcamps, and charged some outrageous fees.

Look at it this way - pay a lot of money to watch women strip naked, or just look at yourself in the mirror. Starting with Wong’s Professional Blackjack is a good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I think it was Moo who recruited for Bootcamps, and charged some outrageous fees.

Look at it this way - pay a lot of money to watch women strip naked, or just look at yourself in the mirror. Starting with Wong’s Professional Blackjack is a good way to go.
    -Wong's Professional Blackjack
    -Blackjack Attack: Playing the Pro's Way 3rd Ed.
    -Theory of Blackjack
    -Supplementary counting information like CBJN, another count system
    -21 simulator or CA

That's pretty much it if one wants to make some dough above minimum wage. Oh, and a 10K bank.

Looks like the above site is -EV in the short-run.

Doesn't Blackjack Apprentice claim to be a Christian site or at least have Christian members (holy rollers). Don't they know it is a sin to rip off folks.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Doesn't Blackjack Apprentice claim to be a Christian site or at least have Christian members (holy rollers). Don't they know it is a sin to rip off folks.
    The issue is not that they claim to be Christian. The issue is that the price tag for the information can be had by spending less than 100 USD on Amazon with the added bonus of learning at your pace.

Quote Originally Posted by dogman_1234 View Post
    Blackjack Apprentice offers quarterly "Boot-camps" where prospective AP's learn the art of the trade, allegedly from other competent and skilled AP's.

Not too bad. However, there is a catch:

https://www.blackjackapprenticeship.com/bootcamp/

Keep scrolling until you hit the body of the page that list "What's My Investment."

Holy shit! Really? 3 grand to learn High Low?! In two days?

Maybe I'm spoiled because I have access to affordable literature that I bough from my local book store plus access to other AP's who are willing to point me in the right direction.

But, seriously? 3K? I imagine Tarzan's book is cheaper than this and offers a little more in terms of EV (going off Eric Farmers Perfect Play sim data https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...r-optimal-play and Gronbog's sim data of T count https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...l=1#post236595 )

Why not just get Wong's Professional Blackjack and learn either High Low or Halves? Most likely 100x cheaper.
    I agree 3K is too much even for private one on one lesson. Some people might not have the discipline to learn the information themselves and just need a private mentor to push them. I would probably consider if they cut the price in half or more.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 01-04-2019 at 08:40 PM.

FWIW, I've never been to a bootcamp and don't really have any "inside" info on how they work or what have you.

Sure you can buy a few books for $100 or whatever, but there is absolutely no way you can tell me reading a few books is worth anywhere near the same as talking to and learning from a group of experienced APs. That's just silly.

I have no idea what the cost is to run it, but it sure as hell ain't free. The people running it gotta make it worth it for themselves, too. Do you also go to a restaurant, order a $50 steak and say "OMG! I could have bought a steak at the grocery store and cooked it in my kitchen for $11! The owner of the restaurant just made $39 off of me!" ?

Do I think $3,000 for a weekend bootcamp is a fair price? I really don't know, but I certainly don't think it's a mega rip off.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Do you also go to a restaurant, order a $50 steak and say "OMG! I could have bought a steak at the grocery store and cooked it in my kitchen for $11! The owner of the restaurant just made $39 off of me!" ?
    Sort of. I say this $50 steak isn't that good. If I had bought the ingredients they started with and cooked it myself, the steak would have been perfect. But I am a bit of a home gourmet chef that loves to cook and eat, and makes everything exactly the way I love them to be. But I never worry about the profit for the restaurant owner just the quality of the food. When I go out to eat I want to think, "This is outstanding. Let me figure out how they did that". Then it usually takes making it myself a couple times to replicate it. After another time or two my version suits my pallet better. Unfortunately that is a pretty rare thing to have happen.

But that doesn't apply to your analogy about worrying about the profit for those providing you with a product. I do think that about ordering alcohol out most of the time. I think for the price of these two beers I could have bought a 12 pack or case of beer. Then I could have drank them with my friends in the comfort of my own home instead of elsewhere sharing the space with a bunch of strangers. The AP play is to only get alcohol out at happy hour prices, if at all.

It's a complete rip off!! Don't buy into their bullshit.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    I say this $50 steak isn't that good. If I had bought the ingredients they started with and cooked it myself, the steak would have been perfect. But I am a bit of a home gourmet chef that loves to cook and eat, and makes everything exactly the way I love them to be.
    Already understood, no need to say it. Of course, you are a home gourmet chef.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    I think for the price of these two beers I could have bought a 12 pack or case of beer. Then I could have drank them with my friends in the comfort of my own home instead of elsewhere sharing the space with a bunch of strangers.
    Not having to prove using a unique counting system is one thing, but you DO need to prove that you have friends as this is getting to extremes. Take it easy Norm it is only an innocent joke.
    Last edited by BoSox; 01-05-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    It's a complete rip off!! Don't buy into their bullshit.
    I know the guys at BJA and while I would agree their pricing is very aggressive it is not a "total ripoff". It is not just learning HiLo, it is learning how to be an AP that is important. I have never been to any of their sessions but I am pretty sure Tommy Hyland (who has participated on multiple occasions) is not there supporting a rip off.

They are many collateral benefits to their offerings that serve a fledgling AP well.

Bitch about the price, but unless you have first hand experience about their offerings suggest you reconsider the rhetoric.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    FWIW, I've never been to a bootcamp and don't really have any "inside" info on how they work or what have you.

Sure you can buy a few books for $100 or whatever, but there is absolutely no way you can tell me reading a few books is worth anywhere near the same as talking to and learning from a group of experienced APs. That's just silly.

I have no idea what the cost is to run it, but it sure as hell ain't free. The people running it gotta make it worth it for themselves, too. Do you also go to a restaurant, order a $50 steak and say "OMG! I could have bought a steak at the grocery store and cooked it in my kitchen for $11! The owner of the restaurant just made $39 off of me!" ?

Do I think $3,000 for a weekend bootcamp is a fair price? I really don't know, but I certainly don't think it's a mega rip off.
    +1 RS. A lot of spoiled brats in here. I have no association with BJA:

In my professional career, I taught classes that cost well in excess of $3,000 per attendee. The class was for software that was built by a company I was an early employee of and I had years of practical knowledge by implementing said software at major companies and the intelligence community.

Sure, they could read the manual and dick around with the software and perhaps learn what they needed. Or, they could jump start the whole thing and get real lessons straight from the horses mouth (me, I'm the horse). During the class they might say things like "the manual says you can do X", and I would say "yes, it says that, but don't do that and here's why."

That's how it works in real life outside of the AP community. Whether it's through a bootcamp or not, we all pay for our AP education one way or another.

OP, you're MUCH BETTER off spending $3000 on Grosjeans book and learning those games and strategies.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast