Thread: Is it possible to calculate the optimal strategy for charlie using any software?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question Is it possible to calculate the optimal strategy for charlie using any software?

I'm only able to find the Charlie strategy based on an infinite deck, but the game I'm playing is single deck, so it should be quite different.
    https://wizardofodds.com/games/black...-charlie-rule/

My game's rules:
    One Deck, S17, BJ pays 1:1, no double, no split, no surrender, 6 card charlie, shuffle after each hand.

Is there any software that can be used to calculate the charlie rule?

San Jose Bella,

Yes, MGP's excellent (and free) blackjack combinatorial analysis software can generate the proper CD BS for the game you described including the 6CC rule. The software is available for free at this URL:

https://www.blackjackinfo.com/free-b...rial-analyzer/

However, even without performing the analysis I will state that the game is still -EV: the 6CC benefit doesn't even come close to overcoming the 1:1 BJ detriment.

Also, if your game includes the old "dealer stands on 6 cards regardless of total" rule (I've seen this on some old video BJ single-player games), the software will not account for that. To be frank, though, this rule has almost no effect on BS.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    Hope this helps!
    Thank you, it seems like a great tool, but I can't figure out how to use it properly.
    In the Bonus Rules > Other Bonus Rules tab, I select 6-card Charlie, what's the "n Cards" option?
    I clicked "Calculate Now!", then where can I see 3 card/ 4 card/ 5 card strategies for charlie rule?
    select.jpg

I'm amazed by the speed of this software. After I clicked "Calculate Now!", it takes 3 seconds to show the "Summary" page, how can it be that fast.

The nCards should be set to 6 or more - otherwise it would be a 4 card Charlie

This is a horrible game BTW. Perfect play (CD) is -4.15071118416431%.

There isn't a fast way to analyze the exceptions but the way I would do it is as follows:

1) Look at the exceptions tab. Put in 4 cards, all upcards. You'll see no exceptions. For 5 cards you'll see exceptions for upcards 4, 5, and 6, all for a total of 12. I just click on the top exception and push the down arrow and see how the values for total/upcard change.

2) On the Analysis tab you just look at every total vs upcard combo that you're interested in. For example 12 vs 4 you see that you should actually hit with 5 cards but stand with all others. Using the total with 5 cards is much easier than trying to remember every single 5 card combo and the EV diff is trivial.

3) If you really want to see the effect of the exceptions, go to the Forced Strategy/Other Forced Rules tab and add the 3 rules for Hit 5 card 12 vs 4, 5, 6 and activate them then recalculate the forced strategy. The 2 card dependent strategy increases from -4.20430286397285% to a still pathetic, barely changed -4.20328183181973%.

Oh, and if you had checked 3 cards you should hit AAT vs 4 but I didn't bother forcing that.

Hope that helps.
    MGP

Quote Originally Posted by MGP View Post
    Look at the exceptions tab. Put in 4 cards, all upcards. You'll see no exceptions.
    4 card.jpg
    There's an exception for 4 cards. S18 vs A, hit with 4 cards or more. Am I right?

EV increase from -4.2043% for the 2 Card Dependent to -4.1507% for the Composition Dependent.
    0.0536% is a sizable increase.
    Do I get most of the 0.0536% from total dependent multi card exceptions? or from memorizing individual hands?
    Does 2 card dependent Strategy Net EV include "16 vs 10 Multicard Stand"?

I don't quite understand this page(Exceptions > N Card Hands), but the Analysis page seems to be correct.
    Why isn't "4-card S18 vs 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8" showing on this page? I believe they are all exceptions, and the correct play for them should be hit.
    4 card s18 vs 234568.jpg
    Thanks