See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone take out a loan for Blackjack?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Anyone take out a loan for Blackjack?

Just curious if anyone has taken a loan or borrowed money to advance their AP career. I think bankroll requirements is what stops most newbies from really sticking with the game. Most people have car payments or credit card debts. If you have any debt but have a blackjack bankroll you are borrowing against that thing in order to play. Most of us at a minimum are probably borrowing against our home (mortgage) to play blackjack.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You’re on dangerous ground, especially with that last sentence. I may well be wrong, but it looks to me that you’re trying to create justification. If that is in fact the case, I would hope that your spouse gives you the gears and makes you stop.

I could not have thought of a better idea to get ruined and commit suicide.
    Stay away from BJ and its variance if you're about to gamble money that is not even yours...
    Wayne Gretzky once said that you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Life’s too short for regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    You’re on dangerous ground, especially with that last sentence. I may well be wrong, but it looks to me that you’re trying to create justification. If that is in fact the case, I would hope that your spouse gives you the gears and makes you stop.

I'm guessing im not the only one here with a mortgage on their house...?

Read Arnold Synder's , " you wont win"

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/...t/wontwin.html
    "between the conception and the reality, falls the shadow "

Paraphrased: T.S. Eliot's
    The Hollow Men

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by shake View Post
    I'm guessing im not the only one here with a mortgage on their house...?
    I’m sure you’re not, but reread your OP. Your talking about using a line of credit to finance gambling. AP play, or gambling as such, should be done from disposable income. In other words, from cash on hand available after your monthly obligations are taken care of.

Using a line if credit to finance variance is dangerous stuff. Further, interest on money is enough to negate your edge, if you have one.

I have loaned money to friend for his bj trip,but he has business that makes good money and have real estate properties. Just short on cash. If you don't have back up plan, don't do it.

It is not wise to take a loan out at 6-7%+ for the chance at some sort of ROI. Especially at the amounts needed for a meaningful bankroll. Be patient, disciplined and save up a bankroll. Note - bankrolls should also not be confused with emergency savings.
    You don't score, until you SCORE!

Mathmatecially, if you include the cost of the loan (interest 5-7% or much more is credit cards) in the calculation for your EV you will find your path to success is almost non-existent.

Judmentally, this is a very bad idea without the negative math effect.

Your bankroll needs to be disposable funds, not funds required for living expenses.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I'll bite. I think it can be properly managed if you have the right mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by therefinery View Post
    I'll bite. I think it can be properly managed if you have the right mindset.
    If OP needs to ask the question, he doesn’t have the mindset. The only way this works for an established player, is if he sinks every penny of profit against the mortgage, using credit lines to finance poor variance. Needs to have qualified skills to pull this off. Anything less us asking for trouble.

The problem I see, and it's kinda circular, is that if you have no money to invest, it means you're starting out. If you don't have money and have experience, then that's probably worse because it means you went bust. If you already have lots of experience, then you should have the money and not need a loan. IOW: If you need a loan, you don't have experience. And you're going to need experience (IMO) before you take out a loan for this type of thing, otherwise how do you even know you can make money doing it?

I'd say it's a really risky thing to do, especially as a beginner. There are many things a beginner doesn't realize about how the meta-game, the only way to learn all that is by experience (which includes handling a chip inventory, what is or isn't heat, how to get in the hours, tribal bullshit, blending in, and a myriad of other stuff you can't anticipate).

The only way it might make sense is if you already have lots of experience, have proven you can do it successfully and have the profits to back it up -- but you got wiped out due to some unfortunate disaster (like your kid got cancer and had to pay cash for all the medical stuff, that kind of thing).
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blog Entries

Only makes sense to me if you have funds, but they are temporarily illiquid or unavailable for some other reason. If you can't quickly repay the loan after a loss, you shouldn't make it.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast