See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: [2D] Hi-lo or Hi opt 1 w/ A-2 SC?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

[2D] Hi-lo or Hi opt 1 w/ A-2 SC?

Hello all. First time poster here.

I'm a recreational player who has been using hi-lo with sweet 16 and a handful of negative indices at my local 2d games(h17 55-60% pen DAS NS). I've been considering switching to hi opt 1 for the better playing and insurance accuracy, while sidecounting As/2s to keep betting with hi lo. Is it worth it to switch?

Also, I've been max betting 6 units at TC 4. Is this too early? I'm also considering a 2x6 units bet at TC 5+. From what I've read this is equivalent to a single 8 unit bet risk wise. Is it a good idea?

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Also, I've been max betting 6 units at TC 4. Is this too early?
    That depends on your advantage at TC 4 under those rules and what your bankroll is. A good rule of thumb is to bet advantage * bankroll * .35. To determine your advantage at a given true count under a given rule set, please use a high powered blackjack simulator such as CVCX available from QFIT.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    That depends on your advantage at TC 4 under those rules and what your bankroll is. A good rule of thumb is to bet advantage * bankroll * .35. To determine your advantage at a given true count under a given rule set, please use a high powered blackjack simulator such as CVCX available from QFIT.com
    Where does the 0.35 come from? Is it intended to be about half Kelly? If not, why isn't the decimal 0.75?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Hiyo View Post
    I've been considering switching to hi opt 1 for the better playing and insurance accuracy, while sidecounting As/2s to keep betting with hi lo.
    You're saying you wanna use the better playing efficiency Hi-Opt I count while simultaneously side counting Aces and 2s in order to convert *exactly* into Hi-Lo. I see what you did there. That's hilarious.

Translation: I've started counting cards and have had success with the recommended Hi-Lo. However, I've noticed I can make even *more* money if I switch to a count with a better playing efficiency.

If you wanna switch to an ace neutral count with an Ace side count at a double deck game, knock yourself out. That's what I started out with and didn't find it too difficult to use. This is of course more appropriate for a 2d game, but if you wanna stick with hi-lo, fine. Just, please choose one or the other. Is it worth it to switch? Yeah it's about 10% better. In reality, all these which count debates can be answered with: use whatever you're comfortable and accurate with.
    You're on the right track realizing playing deviations are prioritized in 2d games.
    Like The Maestro said use software to figure out bet spreads. You have to be more careful with bet ramp in 2d vs. shoe.
    Last edited by Reign Man; 11-15-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Where does the 0.35 come from? Is it intended to be about half Kelly?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiyo View Post
    Hello all. First time poster here.

I'm a recreational player who has been using hi-lo with sweet 16 and a handful of negative indices at my local 2d games(h17 55-60% pen DAS NS). I've been considering switching to hi opt 1 for the better playing and insurance accuracy, while sidecounting As/2s to keep betting with hi lo. Is it worth it to switch?

Also, I've been max betting 6 units at TC 4. Is this too early? I'm also considering a 2x6 units bet at TC 5+. From what I've read this is equivalent to a single 8 unit bet risk wise. Is it a good idea?

Thank you
    Welcome aboard. First, I'm trying to learn HIOPT II ASC. Let's just say you better be focused. SC of 2s? SCing Aces is enough for you know. Just take my word for it. I realize I'm talking about HIOPT II ASC and you want to learn HIOPT I. Anyways, the most important thing with HIOPT is the ASC. In this case - me of course - what gives HIOPT the power is the ASC. As a matter of fact with the ASC is better than an L3 count. Maybe this is just me but if the increase in EV is so much that is the count worth it to learn?

How long have you been playing HiLo? Also, as the number of decks goes down your P.E. becomes more important. Don't forget the pen, since the depth with even one, or most likely two cards, the greater the PE. I'm not kidding you about even a couple of cards in DD.

Anyway, good EV to you.
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
    SC of 2s? SCing Aces is enough for you know.
    He is talking about using a balanced ace side count that balances 2's against A's. I have heard it referred to as Hilolo because the main count is Hiopt1, the combined count for betting is Hilo and the side count is the ace and the two which could be viewed as the two lowest ranks. Hence Hilolo. It is really powerful for sticking to level 1 counting.

Hi Opt 1 + SC (2+7 - double Ace) also good.
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

Quote Originally Posted by Gramazeka View Post
    Hi Opt 1 + SC (2+7 - double Ace) also good.
    Do you add half the balanced ace side count to get a combined count of half of Revere Point Count or equivalently double Hiopt1 to add to the side count to get RPC?

I remember this combination system suggested Brett Harris. https://www.blackjackreview.com/wp/a...s/brh-systems/
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 11-16-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)