See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st to 3rd

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

1st to 3rd

Is there an advantage sitting 1st-3rd base at a table? Where is better? Any literature on the subject? Does the numbers of players matter?

Brick

See the thread, "seating position".
    The number of players matters.

I always play heads up. My choice of seat is to spreadt out just 1 off from 3rd base. That way i have a good view of the discard tray and if anyone wants to sit down i will still be last to act

Quote Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter View Post
    I always play heads up. My choice of seat is to spreadt out just 1 off from 3rd base. That way i have a good view of the discard tray and if anyone wants to sit down i will still be last to act
    The problem that I have with 3rd base - a lot of dealers have this annoying hand motion that often blocks a clear line of sight to first base, especially when player busts - cards are swept up in a motion that precludes you from catching the value of the card.

The net effect Of the hand motion is reduced penetration, especially if first base busts a lot.

As far as being last to act at 3rd base, that particular bonus is far more pronounced at dd vs shoe.

Yeah i only play double deck or occasionally single deck. I figure ill ride that train as long as i can cos the whole world has 6 and 8 deck games. Im specifically going to places that offer better double deck games.

But its a double edge sword because of cause the better games are watched more carefully and u can spread less and have to play shorter sessions. Fuck i wish i was playing in the 70s or 80s

Quote Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter View Post
    Yeah i only play double deck or occasionally single deck. I figure ill ride that train as long as i can cos the whole world has 6 and 8 deck games. Im specifically going to places that offer better double deck games.

But its a double edge sword because of cause the better games are watched more carefully and u can spread less and have to play shorter sessions. Fuck i wish i was playing in the 70s or 80s
    With bad DD rules, the spread tolerance escalates. Whereas, good rules depresses it.

Just make sure your view of the cards in the discard tray is unobstructed.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The problem that I have with 3rd base - a lot of dealers have this annoying hand motion that often blocks a clear line of sight to first base, especially when player busts - cards are swept up in a motion that precludes you from catching the value of the card.
    first base for me without a doubt with its many more "goodies " that sometimes accompany it. p.s. When playing heads up ,does it matter where i sit?
    Last edited by stopgambling; 11-08-2018 at 04:44 AM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I sit second from last spot, ensure no one is sitting at 3rd base spot when playing DD. This often allows me to go to 2 spots on last round if count is even or slight positive and up.

I also sit at same spot, second from last, in 6 deck games, play last two spots. I like to make decisions after seeing all cards on table except for the hole card.

Often, I can see the bottom card when dealer pulls out decks from ASM and can cut a card in or out of play or see where that card goes when others cut. I can do this best from second to 3rd base.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Is there an advantage sitting 1st-3rd base at a table? Where is better? Any literature on the subject? Does the numbers of players matter?

Brick
    The seat I don't like and has much lower EV than other seats is No. 2 seat. It is because the cards hole-carders don't want are usually also bad for you but you play according to index play. You don't have the information that hole-carders have.

So if you aren’t counting. There would be no difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    So if you aren’t counting. There would be no difference?
    Correct
    Just to clarify, the salient point is that you get to see more cards prior to making a decision.

Ok thanks!

Brick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast