See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Recreational player needs some advices

  1. #1


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

    Recreational player needs some advices

    Hello All,

    I’m new to AP and started play in May this year. As now I have logged 172 hours and up $1150.

    There are only 2 local casinos and I have logged 110 hours. House edges are about .38% with good pen.

    Local casino #1 83 hours +$9979
    Local casino #2 20 hours +$2310

    There are about 5 casinos with two hours drive, but the rules are not too good. House edges are about .54% with bad pen. I logged most of my rest hours in 2 of the 5 casinos and lost most of my winning there. The reason I logged a lot hours in the two casino is because I go with my AP friend and he only can play at these two casinos. I tried to avoid it now since I lost almost every trip.

    My concerns/dilemma/plan.
    1, I feel back off can happen any time at my local casinos. I play rated at local casino#1(I usually go on weekend and most pitboss know me). Unrated at local casinos 2. Should I stay away from the local casinos or try to play as much as possible to build my bankroll?

    2, If back off happens at my local casinos. My only other option is to make weekend trip to other city that is about 5 hours away with my friend. Or I just have slow down and spend more time with family.

    I use HiLo and my bankroll is 30k. I spread 25 to 300 at my local casinos with cover play(Start new shoe with 3 or 4 units bet). 10/15 to 300 or 25 to 500 at other casinos (Usually play my friend at the same table, but not team)


    Thanks for your input!!

  2. #2


    1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    If playing in local casinos, ensure you book losses and resist temptation to make every session a winning one. That does not mean lose intentionally. When playing, sometimes we start winning straight from the start and sometimes we go down first. If down, quit, ask for comp and leave (for a few hours). In effect, try keeping close to 50% win sessions.

    Another thing I do is to cash in for $200 to start. This leads to cashing in several times. When dealer has gone on break, New one in, ask pit how much you are in for and dispute the amount, say you cashed in a few times to split or double. Since there is a new dealer, he won't know and they often add in more if you say so.

    At time of dealer change, rat holeing a bit works too.

    Always be aware of the won/loss record at your local casinos. Play short sessions even if several the same day. Take breaks for meals, bathroom, to go run up to work, etc.

    Starting with more than 2 units to begin a shoe is unnecessary. Maybe the first shoe but no more.

  3. #3


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalbj View Post
    There are about 5 casinos with two hours drive, but the rules are not too good. House edges are about .54% with bad pen. I logged most of my rest hours in 2 of the 5 casinos and lost most of my winning there. The reason I logged a lot hours in the two casino is because I go with my AP friend and he only can play at these two casinos. I tried to avoid it now since I lost almost every trip.

    My concerns/dilemma/plan.
    1, I feel back off can happen any time at my local casinos. I play rated at local casino#1(I usually go on weekend and most pitboss know me). Unrated at local casinos 2. Should I stay away from the local casinos or try to play as much as possible to build my bankroll?

    2, If back off happens at my local casinos. My only other option is to make weekend trip to other city that is about 5 hours away with my friend. Or I just have slow down and spend more time with family.

    I use HiLo and my bankroll is 30k. I spread 25 to 300 at my local casinos with cover play(Start new shoe with 3 or 4 units bet). 10/15 to 300 or 25 to 500 at other casinos (Usually play my friend at the same table, but not team)
    Your ROR looks to be high if you are spreading to 500 with only $30,000 bankroll. Maybe others can comment on that.

    Playing at the same table with another counter is not good. Why can't you go to the casino by yourself and choose the casino you want. I consider a casino within a 2 hour drive close enough to be considered local, but certainly not a 5 hour drive. I would rotate my casinos among the 5 that are within a 2 hour drive.

  4. #4


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Your ROR looks to be high if you are spreading to 500 with only $30,000 bankroll. Maybe others can comment on that.
    That's seems just about full Kelly so expect wild swings my friend especially with hi lo

  5. #5


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    That's seems just about full Kelly so expect wild swings my friend especially with hi lo
    To be fair he did say that the majority of the places/times his max bet is 300. But still agree that there would be some wild swings involved.

  6. #6


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    If his max bet of $500 is at hi lo tc 10 it would justify . To plan a betting ramp we need to know the pen and rules .

  7. #7


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I used to go with him to practice and follow his bet pattern with less max bet because he bets table max and split to two hands sometimes. Another reason is I don't go to the 5 casinos often is because they are 6D. Pen is about 1.25 to 2 with no surrender. My local offers 3d with 0.5 to 0.9 pen and surrender. I guess I just have to rotate among the 5 casinos for longevity. Thanks!!

  8. #8


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalbj View Post
    Hello All,

    I’m new to AP and started play in May this year. As now I have logged 172 hours and up $1150.

    There are only 2 local casinos and I have logged 110 hours. House edges are about .38% with good pen.

    Local casino #1 83 hours +$9979
    Local casino #2 20 hours +$2310

    There are about 5 casinos with two hours drive, but the rules are not too good. House edges are about .54% with bad pen. I logged most of my rest hours in 2 of the 5 casinos and lost most of my winning there. The reason I logged a lot hours in the two casino is because I go with my AP friend and he only can play at these two casinos. I tried to avoid it now since I lost almost every trip.

    My concerns/dilemma/plan.
    1, I feel back off can happen any time at my local casinos. I play rated at local casino#1(I usually go on weekend and most pitboss know me). Unrated at local casinos 2. Should I stay away from the local casinos or try to play as much as possible to build my bankroll?

    2, If back off happens at my local casinos. My only other option is to make weekend trip to other city that is about 5 hours away with my friend. Or I just have slow down and spend more time with family.

    I use HiLo and my bankroll is 30k. I spread 25 to 300 at my local casinos with cover play(Start new shoe with 3 or 4 units bet). 10/15 to 300 or 25 to 500 at other casinos (Usually play my friend at the same table, but not team)


    Thanks for your input!!
    If you keep doing what you are doing expect to be backed off soon. IF you want to preserve your longevity I would play not as often and use a shorter spread. 1-12 isnt necessary for that game. I would use a 1-6 spread at the the 3D with surrender and good pen. maybe 50-300, but throw out a quarter if the count is really terrible or sit out if it wont bring too much heat. I wouldnt play with your friend if you are both counting and closely raising and lowering your bets. Asking for trouble there.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Gramazeka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    814


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    especially with hi lo
    You is wrong ! Do you have BJRM or BJA ?
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

  10. #10


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Based off the game information, I’m pretty sure I know what your home store is. Just be careful at that game as it’s the most closely watched in the casino. You can try the shoes as they have good pen, or you can learn Spanish 21. The Spanish games allow redoubling and also with good pen so they are vulnerable and not nearly as watched as the green chip tables.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New recreational player question
    By billcarson in forum General Blackjack Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM
  2. Android app for Blackjack advices
    By el0023 in forum Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-2017, 07:08 AM
  3. KPlayer: EV of such game? Thanks for advices.
    By KPlayer in forum International Scene
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 05:55 AM
  4. newby: To any card counter...novice needs advices
    By newby in forum Blackjack Beginners
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 04:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

About Blackjack: The Forum

BJTF is an advantage player site based on the principles of comity. That is, civil and considerate behavior for the mutual benefit of all involved. The goal of advantage play is the legal extraction of funds from gaming establishments by gaining a mathematic advantage and developing the skills required to use that advantage. To maximize our success, it is important to understand that we are all on the same side. Personal conflicts simply get in the way of our goals.