See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14

Thread: Digit Counting in Lieu of Mental Counting in Extreme Circumstances

  1. #1
    Senior Member SteinMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    133


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

    Digit Counting in Lieu of Mental Counting in Extreme Circumstances

    As a relative newbie without tons of hours at the tables, I still get a little amnesic in my count when I split, and split again, and especially when at (or near) max bet levels. Therefore I’ve developed (what I call) a “digit count” method, which in extreme circumstances I switch from cerebral (mental) counting to digit counting (which involves finger and feet positioning) and is much akin to abacus counting. This frees me up to concentrate on playing strategy.

    Without boring everyone with excruciating details, just wondering if anyone else does (or did, for your long time pros) something similar?

  2. #2


    1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    As a relative newbie without tons of hours at the tables, I still get a little amnesic in my count when I split, and split again, and especially when at (or near) max bet levels. Therefore I’ve developed (what I call) a “digit count” method, which in extreme circumstances I switch from cerebral (mental) counting to digit counting (which involves finger and feet positioning) and is much akin to abacus counting. This frees me up to concentrate on playing strategy.

    Without boring everyone with excruciating details, just wondering if anyone else does (or did, for your long time pros) something similar?
    Clearly, an offshoot of the regaled underground FBM ASC.

  3. #3
    Senior Member SteinMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    133


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Clearly, an offshoot of the regaled underground FBM ASC.
    I have seen that acronym referenced several times. I guess it's time that I research it in earnest.

  4. #4


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    I have seen that acronym referenced several times. I guess it's time that I research it in earnest.
    Lends new meaning to the phrase - get a grip on it, or - get a hold of yourself.

  5. #5
    Senior Member SteinMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    133


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Lends new meaning to the phrase - get a grip on it, or - get a hold of yourself.

    Here's one reference that I found:

    "The greatest advancement in BJ protocol over the last 20 years - Freightman Ball Method Ace Side Count - for feel good play. There is an entire thread in this exciting new way to track aces. "

    I can only conjure up the images.

  6. #6


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It peaked my interest as well, so I went digging and found some info on it. It's suprisingly simple.

    Cut holes in your pockets and you're good to go.

    I imagine everyone develops their own method, but I do 1 thru 5 fingers on the front of the left nut for the first 5 aces, then onto the front of the right, then back of the left, back of the right.

    If I get into the last 4 aces of a 6 deck shoe, I move slightly higher, making it the FDM ASC

  7. #7


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    Here's one reference that I found:

    "The greatest advancement in BJ protocol over the last 20 years - Freightman Ball Method Ace Side Count - for feel good play. There is an entire thread in this exciting new way to track aces. "

    I can only conjure up the images.
    Welcome to Blackjack The Forum!

  8. #8


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Useful when playing super long sessions and my mind can no longer keep up. Also to free up my brain to engage the table building relationships and scavenge. Only works with slow dealers or at least slow tables where ploppies take a long time to make decisions and place side bets.

    I guess that’s a worst alternative than playing short periods of heads up game.... if you have access to those games instead.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Member SteinMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    133


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_phantom View Post
    Useful when playing super long sessions and my mind can no longer keep up. Also to free up my brain to engage the table building relationships and scavenge. Only works with slow dealers or at least slow tables where ploppies take a long time to make decisions and place side bets.

    I guess that’s a worst alternative than playing short periods of heads up game.... if you have access to those games instead.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Blue Phantom; that's the affirmation I was looking for.

  10. #10


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    It peaked my interest as well
    Since Don's on vacation... the correct spelling is piqued.

    Also, Oscar Wilde discussed the importance of being earnest.

  11. #11
    Senior Member SteinMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    133


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    ..
    Oscar Wilde discussed the importance of being earnest.

    "The Importance of Being Earnest, A Trivial Comedy for Serious People is a play by Oscar Wilde....is a farcical comedy in which the protagonists maintain fictitious personæ to escape burdensome social obligations." -Wikipedia


    Not sure of your context... But I assume it is applying to FBM ASC?

    BTW, I need to start using "farcical" more in my vocabulary.

  12. #12


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    Not sure of your context.
    Guess I should have quoted that part, but it refers to the statement in post #3. Nothing to do with Freightman's overused joke. Just a farcical comment

  13. #13
    Senior Member SteinMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    133


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Guess I should have quoted that part, but it refers to the statement in post #3. Nothing to do with Freightman's overused joke. Just a farcical comment
    You're one up on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Counting system change or add side counting?
    By angle_sh00ter in forum General Blackjack Forum
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 08-07-2018, 03:57 PM
  2. Counting 9 as minus 1 vs counting it as 0
    By Ronster in forum General Blackjack Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2016, 05:32 PM
  3. Accused of card counting without actually counting?
    By lilbucky in forum General Blackjack Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

About Blackjack: The Forum

BJTF is an advantage player site based on the principles of comity. That is, civil and considerate behavior for the mutual benefit of all involved. The goal of advantage play is the legal extraction of funds from gaming establishments by gaining a mathematic advantage and developing the skills required to use that advantage. To maximize our success, it is important to understand that we are all on the same side. Personal conflicts simply get in the way of our goals.