See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Anybody Agree This is Bullshit Talk

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Anybody Agree This is Bullshit Talk

An ex-member of this forum who plays single deck has started a thread over on Vegas Talk basically saying that some splits are so close it is better not to split even though basic strategy says the proper play is to split. His reasoning is something like since I can't get a blackjack or double down, it is better to save the money for another hand where you will have a chance for a blackjack or double down. I say this is bullshit thinking.

He mentions 22, 33, 66 as not being very worthy splits. My thinking is when you have two choices and one is clearly better than the other, why would you ever choose the one that is not the best. Any thoughts on this?

I do believe in risk adverse indexes, but his thinking is not even close. Some of these splits have pretty low index numbers.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Possibly looking at reduction of variance versus EV maximizing. It’s proper in some cases, but the ind3xes are there for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Possibly looking at reduction of variance versus EV maximizing. It’s proper in some cases, but the ind3xes are there for a reason.
    B/

I found what you were talking about. He identified ndas which certainly negates some splits. He was also right about 99v7 split when rich in aces and 10’s. I don’t know the tc index for that on single deck.

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    There was a guy many, many years ago that had a strategy that he thought could beat 6:5 BJ. It required four counts, three of them balanced, that had to be added or subtracted from each other depending on the hand. But, with all that extra work, he had no 22, 33, or 66 splits because he thought they were worthless. The strategy had a lower SCORE than HiLo with no side counts.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

He may have other issues but he does know how to play BJ, especially SD. That game has its quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    His reasoning is something like since I can't get a blackjack or double down, it is better to save the money for another hand where you will have a chance for a blackjack or double down. I say this is bullshit thinking.
    He is obviously talking about NDAS. I don't know about BS. The strategies for these plays really only consider EV. There are other concerns to be factored in like volatility, card eating or card conservation depending on the situation, heat. If there is very little difference in EV volatility the EV produces is a "tie-breaker". If there are few cards left or few cards to start with, like in pitch games, splitting can make the difference of an early shuffle or an extra round. Some splits are heat magnets. They have the most EV but are only worth doing in the right situations. Quite often you are better off deferring the split.

I think you need to consider he was clearly talking about NDAS BJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    He may have other issues but he does know how to play BJ, especially SD. That game has its quirks.
    Unlike you, Flash, KJ, Ryemo, and a few others this person has never disclosed how much money he has won in a year. What is your basis for saying he knows how to play blackjack?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    There was a guy many, many years ago that had a strategy that he thought could beat 6:5 BJ. It required four counts, three of them balanced, that had to be added or subtracted from each other depending on the hand. But, with all that extra work, he had no 22, 33, or 66 splits because he thought they were worthless. The strategy had a lower SCORE than HiLo with no side counts.
    Conrad Membrino?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Unlike you, Flash, KJ, Ryemo, and a few others this person has never disclosed how much money he has won in a year. What is your basis for saying he knows how to play blackjack?
    Whole lot of others don't disclose their earnings, T3, 21foryou, Stealth, etc., Etc. It's got nothing to do with it.