See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Upgrade from KO Preferred

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Upgrade from KO Preferred

I've been using KO for two years and about 175 hours.

I would like some recommendations on upgrading my strategy from KO Preferred to a strategy that can provide a little better performance.

I'm not a statistician and have only read 2 books so far (Beat the Dealer and Knock Out Blackjack) really don't have that much time.

In Atlantic City and Eastern PA, the game is exclusively 8 decks and that is where I play most of the time.
    Penetration is typically 75 to 88% (Less in AC, greater in PA).

In PA, surrender is allowed, in AC, surrender is not allowed. In PA, there is S17 in AC, I play at H17 ($10 minimum) tables.

With KO Preferred, I have to wait for a delta of 22 low cards until I can raise my bet.

From what I have been reading in this forum, if I can do something just a little different,
    I would be able to modify my betting from KO and possibly get better results.

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I am not an unbalanced count expert but you can TC an unbalanced count if you want tons stay with KO. If you want to upgrade to another count. Hilo is very similar to KO and will let you get used to true count conversions without much of a change to anything else. Once you master that you can decide whether or not you want to stay with that or look for more improvement. For shoe games Hilo works well, especially if you avoid negative counts.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Getting in the hours and better conditions is much more important especially with shoe games . You may want to slightly modify your KO , such as adjusting your betting ramp and playing decision by the depth of the shoe. You don't need to be too fancy with your count. I am playing a few different types of games which makes switching to an unbalanced count not viable .

I’d stick to something simple, especially since it sounds like you live in the land of shoe games. I’d stick to Hi Lo or maybe Zen if you’re absolutely set on learning a level 2 count.

Unless you change the size of your stakes or the quality of your game, don’t expect a more advanced count to deliver drastic changing results. If you want to see a big change in results, you need to attack games that offer a much lower N-Zero and/or higher EV. Or you need to increase your current stakes and current spreads to achieve those type of results on the current games you’re playing.

FWIW, majority of the most successful counters I know use a simple Hi Lo.
    Last edited by Ryemo; 09-11-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Read and use Color of Blackjack by Dravot to improve KO
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Quote Originally Posted by Mets View Post
    I've been using KO for two years and about 175 hours.

I would like some recommendations on upgrading my strategy from KO Preferred to a strategy that can provide a little better performance.

I'm not a statistician and have only read 2 books so far (Beat the Dealer and Knock Out Blackjack) really don't have that much time.

In Atlantic City and Eastern PA, the game is exclusively 8 decks and that is where I play most of the time.
    Penetration is typically 75 to 88% (Less in AC, greater in PA).

In PA, surrender is allowed, in AC, surrender is not allowed. In PA, there is S17 in AC, I play at H17 ($10 minimum) tables.

With KO Preferred, I have to wait for a delta of 22 low cards until I can raise my bet.

From what I have been reading in this forum, if I can do something just a little different,
    I would be able to modify my betting from KO and possibly get better results.

Thanks
    Try Modern Blackjack which is free. Upgrade to KO-Full for more accurate playing indices.

Author of Color of Blackjack is a nice guy. Haven’t read it and don’t use KO.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    Try Modern Blackjack which is free. Upgrade to KO-Full for more accurate playing indices.
    Thanks everyone!

Seriousplayer, when you suggested "KO-Full", is that the same as "KO Preferred?" KO Preferred is advanced version of KO Blackjack (by Fuchs)
    which introduces 3 to 4 new indices.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    "If you post things that people disagree with they will make a dissenting post. That is what a forum is. If you don't want dissenting posts stop posting stupid posts. Most of the people that regularly corrected you have you on ignore so the ones that still view your posts must work overtime to limit their damage."

T3, dissent is fine, making it about the poster is not. If people take it as advice does not mean it's the posters fault. Now, let's drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    "If you post things that people disagree with they will make a dissenting post. That is what a forum is. If you don't want dissenting posts stop posting stupid posts. Most of the people that regularly corrected you have you on ignore so the ones that still view your posts must work overtime to limit their damage."

T3, dissent is fine, making it about the poster is not. If people take it as advice does not mean it's the posters fault. Now, let's drop it.
    Zee
    The problem is that you just dont listen and posters will be far more vociferous and pound you that much harder.

Here’s an example
    Zee says
    I am in the OSN database, and I still play with comped rooms and meals. The pros are simply overreacting. I recommend (and you have used that word) that you play rated to reduce your expense.

Voiciferous dissenter
    Zee, you’re a fucking idiot, blah blah, blah.

Zee
    Please move on and put me on ignore if you can’t respond in a polite manner. Why can’t you be like Don S, Norm and others - who act like gentlemen.

Voiciferous dissenter
    Tried being a gentleman, but you never got the message - further, you’re advice us detrimental to newbies. God help them if they follow your advice.

Zee
    I never post advice (bullshit) - I simply outline my experiences as it relates to playing rated and being in OSN. I’m simply a low level recreational counter with a desire to add 10k per year to my shoebox. I’m sure glad I’m not a pro - you guys just get so nasty. I prefer double deck 25 min spreading up to 2x150, somet8mes 175. I sometimes double for less (and split for more?) I play nsr, ndas, double 9-11 only 60% pen with no more than 3 guys at the table. I frequently don’t put out my max bet because it might get to costly.

Zee, watch what you say - consider what you say.