Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BJA Floating Advantage question.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I tried reading carefully for a long time earlier. I could't see why the exact same data for the exact same penetration, .00 to 4.50, gets a different column 7 in 6.17A than the same data gets in 6.21 and 6.21A. I guess reading comprehension is a weakness with me. Is column 7 something different in 6.17A than in 6.21 and 6.21A? I saw no explanation of a difference that would explain the same data getting a different answer in table 6.17A column 7 than in 6.21 and 6.21A columns 7.

In 6.17A, the per-hand contribution is that count's contribution to the entirety of the edge from playing all of 0 to 4.50. In 6.21A, the contribution is that segment's contribution to the total from playing all of 0 to 5.50, which clearly then dilutes the original numbers of 6.17A.

Again, I can't read FOR you, so you'll have to keep reading Gwynn till it clicks in.

One of the great problems over the years of people asking questions about the numerous charts is that they don't have the patience to read the explanations of how the charts were generated in the first place -- something I'm extremely careful to do all the time. People just want to go directly to the charts and trust that they'll understand them with no explanations necessary. That's a very ill-advised way to read any book, but this one in particular.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    Don,

Yes, the "reading carefully" part is the trick!

Dog Hand

P.S. When you issue BJA4, or Blackjack Attack: Playing the Pro's Way in the 21st Century™, 4th Edition - The Mother of All Weapons, you might consider reformatting these tables to clarify which ones go together, either by using different colors (or shadings), or by having a page break before each Summary table.
    Ha! You should have seen the original printouts, back in the day! New title suggestion duly noted! Food for thought!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    One of the great problems over the years of people asking questions about the numerous charts is that they don't have the patience to read the explanations of how the charts were generated in the first place -- something I'm extremely careful to do all the time. People just want to go directly to the charts and trust that they'll understand them with no explanations necessary. That's a very ill-advised way to read any book, but this one in particular.
    I spent hours today looking at it and couldn't find it. I don't see anywhere where it mentions 0 to 5.50. Obviously DH found it. Is it in the appendix? I am sure it is there somewhere. After reading the appendix at least 10 times before your last post. I am not going to read it again unless it is pointed out what paragraph to read on what page. Don, if you are satisfied that your book is clear on this so be it. You are a far better communicator in both writing and reading comprehension than I am. I would suggest; if things are too hard to find for mere mortals, then maybe they could be written better. My eyes aren't working too well today. The natural light is weak today and things are blurrier than normal. I am getting a headache from trying to read this over and over again.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    I spent hours today looking at it and couldn't find it. I don't see anywhere where it mentions 0 to 5.50. Obviously DH found it. Is it in the appendix? I am sure it is there somewhere. After reading the appendix at least 10 times before your last post. I am not going to read it again unless it is pointed out what paragraph to read on what page. Don, if you are satisfied that your book is clear on this so be it. You are a far better communicator in both writing and reading comprehension than I am. I would suggest; if things are too hard to find for mere mortals, then maybe they could be written better. My eyes aren't working too well today. The natural light is weak today and things are blurrier than normal. I am getting a headache from trying to read this over and over again.
    Man, you who writes 5 paragraphs when one is needed and confusing the heck out of us mortals and now you are the mortal, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Man, you who writes 5 paragraphs when one is needed and confusing the heck out of us mortals and now you are the mortal, lol.
    It s all relative. When Don is in the room I am a mere mortal. At least when it comes to blackjack and statistics.
    Last edited by Three; 09-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.

See the beginning of page 82, which I already wrote, above. The last set of charts, beginning with 6.21, on pp. 88-89, are for 0-5.50 decks. So, the per-hand contributions for 6.21 no longer represent the totality of the contributions for those counts (as in 6.17) but rather just the portion from 0-4.50, where 0-5.50 represents the full amounts.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    See the beginning of page 82, which I already wrote, above. The last set of charts, beginning with 6.21, on pp. 88-89, are for 0-5.50 decks. So, the per-hand contributions for 6.21 no longer represent the totality of the contributions for those counts (as in 6.17) but rather just the portion from 0-4.50, where 0-5.50 represents the full amounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by San Jose Bella View Post
    Thanks for trying to help me Don. I think I must have a copy that was too old or something. I have BJA3 last revised in 2005.

In the OP is a picture of the pages in question that match my copy. As you can see, the pen listed in the header of table 6.21A (and 6.21) is .00 to 4.50. I don't see any reference to 0 to 5.50 pen or to any tables in particular on pages 82 and 83. Page 82 starts with the second half of John Gwynn's writeup about reading the charts. Then there are your comments starting at the bottom of page 82 and finally a postscript as the last two paragraphs on page 93. None of which seem to refer to what you are saying. As you can see from the quote above (or the images in the OP if they don't copy) the pen listed in the header of chart 6.21A (and 6.21) is .00 to 4.50. I will make a note in the headers of the charts that they are for .00 to 5.50 pen.

Thanks for your patience.

You're looking at ONE chart in a series! 6.21 BEGINS the series of segments by lumping 0 to 4.50 all together. Then come the remaining segments that get you all the way to 5.50 decks. I can't believe you're having so much trouble with this. Go back and look at how the entire chapter is structured. 6.20 announces the summary of 0 to 5.50 decks, so everything that follows is for the 5.5/6 game. You really need to read this more carefully than you have been. 0 to 4.50 in 6.21 is NOT the pen; it is the first 4.5 decks of 5.50 dealt. CLEAR???

The reference to p. 82 is for you to READ THE METHODOLOGY of how the column 7s were generated!

Don
    Last edited by DSchles; 09-11-2018 at 08:14 AM.

I see what you are saying now. Table 6.16 is the summary for 0 to 5.00, table 6.17 to 6.19 are the segments with a betting unit of one. Tables 6.17A thru 6.19A uses a ramp for bets. Table 6.20 is the summary for 0 to 5.50 decks. Tables 6.21 to 6.24 are for the segments flat bet and tables 6.21A thru 6.24A are for segments with a bet ramp.

Thank you Don. You have the patience of a saint. It seems obvious now that I get it.

I see what you are saying now. Table 6.16 is the summary for 0 to 5.00, table 6.17 to 6.19 are the segments with a betting unit of one. Tables 6.17A thru 6.19A uses a ramp for bets. Table 6.20 is the summary for 0 to 5.50 decks. Tables 6.21 to 6.24 are for the segments flat bet and tables 6.21A thru 6.24A are for segments with a bet ramp.

Thank you Don. You have the patience of a saint. It seems obvious now that I get it.
    Three,

Now you see why I suggested to Don earlier in this thread that these tables be reformatted in BJA4 ;-)

Dog Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    Three,

Now you see why I suggested to Don earlier in this thread that these tables be reformatted in BJA4 ;-)

Dog Hand
    Yes. A little bit of change and it would be much easier to get.

The problem, as you think about it, is somewhat three dimensional, so it's hard to make clear on a flat book page. You want to show the edges before any wagers are made, because you're trying to demonstrate where the FA kicks in. Then, after you show the blank columns, you need to reconstitute the whole thing and put in wagers that correspond to the newly found edges at various depths. Just a messy process by its very nature.

Further complicating matters are space constraints for the number of pages and the way the layout falls. Since some penetrations create more sub-sections than others, there isn't a uniform amount of charts that correspond to each penetration. For example, 5.5/6 obviously creates more charts than 4.5/6. And so, the groupings on the pages become "uneven" and not uniform. We struggled with this and did the best we could. Obviously, not well enough! I understand the source of the confusion, but the more important point is that the information is correct; you just have to be able to wade through it.

Thanks for your patience.

Don

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast