See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVCX Question

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

CVCX Question

Hello everybody. This may be a stupid question... But I have a question about a small part regarding strategy in CVCX. Anyone know what the difference is between:

94 Basic High-Low
    vs.
    Old Basic High-Low
    vs.
    Old Complete High-Low

It may be since I have not yet read Professional Blackjack by Wong yet (just ordered it).

Thank you!

Use 94 basic hi lo

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Use 94 basic hi lo
    Thanks, Freightman

Another question! Perhaps Norm can help me out with this. With my simulations, when I check the Sim Parms, "Blackjack Wins all" is checked, when I never checked it. I can't seem to remove it from being unchecked, as my game is OBO no hole card. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by jamison258 View Post
    Another question! Perhaps Norm can help me out with this. With my simulations, when I check the Sim Parms, "Blackjack Wins all" is checked, when I never checked it. I can't seem to remove it from being unchecked, as my game is OBO no hole card. Thanks in advance!
    If it's a sim, you could run it as a normal peek game, as an OBO game is functionally the same, and get the same results.

However, the same issue arises, and is more problematic for me, with the Verite Games app. I can't practise the game I want, of no hole card OBO with ES10. If I check the no hole card, in playing strategy it will only display strategy for ENHC where BJ wins all, even if I have in the game rules OBO selected. And I could not get ES10 to work whatsoever. This is just for the mobile app though. If Norm could look into this I'd appreciate it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by jamison258 View Post
    I simmed a game recently with that same rule set and had the same problem.
    I wasnt sure if there is any other options, so i just ran a sim with dealer peeks, and as CountinCanadian mentioned they are basically the same other than a NHC game eating more cards at certain times.

Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    If it's a sim, you could run it as a normal peek game, as an OBO game is functionally the same, and get the same results.
    It's not the same. OBO eats cards every time the dealer has BJ that are reserved for the next round in peek. That gets you more rounds per shoe with peek.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    It's not the same. OBO eats cards every time the dealer has BJ that are reserved for the next round in peek. That gets you more rounds per shoe with peek.
    Well, that statement is true some of the time, and maybe most of the time, but definitely not all of the time! It depends entirely on how many players are at the table. So, if you are alone, it definitely isn't true. On average, you break one hand in about six, which means that, when you do, the dealer never takes his hole card. So, alone, you're saving that one card in six with OBO. When you waste your (fraction of a) hit when he goes on to have a natural, that's once every 21 hands. So, clearly, alone, you save cards because of the OBO feature.

The case becomes more interesting for two players, and I suspect we'd have to simulate here, because I don't know how frequently both players break. It's obviously not as infrequently as 1/6 x 1/6, because of the correlation between the two hands.

Beyond two players at the table, I'm quite sure your statement would be true, because a) the waste of cards is multiplied, and b) the saving of cards when all players break starts to become negligible.

Sims would gives us the clearest picture.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Right, yes. So betting ramp, ROR etc will all be the same, EV will just be a bit lower.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    So, if you are alone, it definitely isn't true. On average, you break one hand in about six, which means that, when you do, the dealer never takes his hole card. So, alone, you're saving that one card in six with OBO. When you waste your (fraction of a) hit when he goes on to have a natural, that's once every 21 hands. So, clearly, alone, you save cards because of the OBO feature.
    If you break you take a card that never would have been dealt if the dealer peeks, so there is no card savings. You take a card and bust but the dealer never takes his hole card. That uses the same number of cards. Please correct me if I am missing something. I bet I didn't quite understand what you were saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Beyond two players at the table, I'm quite sure your statement would be true, because a) the waste of cards is multiplied, and b) the saving of cards when all players break starts to become negligible.
    You don't save cards when all players take enough cards for each to break. None of those cards would have been taken in a peek game. The dealer just doesn't take his hole-card in OBO when everyone breaks but every player at the table has to take at least one card to bust. That is never a savings in cards dealt even if there is only one hand against the dealer. For the latter if you bust with only one card drawn the cards used are exactly the same as peek when the dealer has a BJ and halts the play in the round.

Why do you assume that the dealer has to have a ten or ace for the player to bust?? Assume a "normal" game. Dealer has a 9 up AND has taken a hole card. I break my 16 with a one-card hit. Total cards used? 5. Same scenario but with OBO (no hole card). I bust my 16, and the dealer sweeps away his 9 without ever taking a hole card. Total number of cards used? 4. :-)

Don

Thanks Don. That was what I was missing.

Hey guys, just an update. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the "Blackjack wins all" option on the Sim Parms after I have simulated a game. I doubt it makes a significant difference. Anyone have a solution? THanks guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast