See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Basic Strategy question regarding "soft" and "hard" hands

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    It seems like you still have to bring Zee into every one of your posts. I guess I was wrong in thinking you were improving.
    I was until he tried to bait me a few days ago. And why not? He's the poster child for stupid and he thrives on all the attention he gets. That's what trolls do, so he can wallow in his success for a few days. And I'm done with him, again.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I don't see what the big deal is. I have no problem knowing the right play thinking about every ace that can be counted as one or 11 as a soft hand total like soft20. We there are index plays BS is irrelevant and needless clutter in your mind. I convert all indices to decision barrier indices not when to deviate from BS. I have H/S, D/S, D/H, etc indices. BS is irrelevant. At or above a H/S index you stand and below it you hit. Who cares what BS says unless there is no index. I find that a lot less confusing. But that is me. Do what makes it jam in your head. Don't worry about how anyone else does it. Figure out what is the clearest way for you to think about it. Anyone that thinks the way they were taught is the only way probably isn't doing what would work best for them. Everyone is unique in the way they think and process things. I am sure there are a lot that would find what works best for me very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Letangs View Post
    Well in my head it was very clear tho I would never stand A7 vs 9/10/A.
    I only have troubles remembering what to do A2/A3/A4/A5/A6/A7 vs 2 to 8.
    It's automatic that I have to hit every A2-A6 if dealer is 7 or more, but I still have trouble for doubling down, same for A7.
    You will get it with enough memory drills and repetitive practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    You will get it with enough memory drills and repetitive practice.
    I'm sure I will. I'll basically just train pretty much everyday with the website I have found. In the end it shouldn't even be a problem

As long as people do decisions that are ok with the BS, I think the method doesn't matter much wether you call it "soft 13" or "A2"..
    I don't ever call this hand "soft anything" or "A anything" in my mind. It is a term I just don't ever use. For example if I have A4, in less than a second I will determine if the hand is a double. If it is a double, I double and the play is over no need to do anything more. If it isn't a double, I still don't bother to count the hand as it is recognized immediately as a hand that has to be hit if not doubled. The next card coming out for the hand is the starting point for counting the hand as a number and I will most likely do it the way Meistro123 mentions in post 5.

As long as people do decisions that are ok with the BS, I think the method doesn't matter much wether you call it "soft 13" or "A2"..
    That would be fine for people who only play by basic strategy alone with no other information. I hope you do realize that the above quote is directed at a specific group of players.

Letangs, for example using your soft 13:

Basic strategy says to double against a 5 or a 6 up card, but when the dealer is showing a five up the decision to double or hit is extremely close to going either way. Someone who knows a little more information on deck composition "a counter" will be able to make a more informed decision.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about here, save for 21forme. I don't even see the hand totals anymore, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Letangs, for example using your soft 13:

Basic strategy says to double against a 5 or a 6 up card, but when the dealer is showing a five up the decision to double or hit is extremely close to going either way. Someone who knows a little more information on deck composition "a counter" will be able to make a more informed decision.
    Yes definitely, but you must master the BS first before going into deviations, at least it sounds logical to me

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456