See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic Strategy question regarding "soft" and "hard" hands

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I’m sorry Don I typed it in the meantime.
    should have edited it before.

edit :

« It's multi-card A,8, and the rule for multi-card soft hands is: hit anyting A,6 or below, stand on anything A,8 or above, and (for multi-deck) for A,7, stand vs. dealer's 2-8 and hit vs. 9, 10, and Ace. »

Roger that.
    I was just confused because the BS as in the « table version » doesn’t treat this case.
    Last edited by Letangs; 08-19-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Letangs View Post
    Should we just Hit then ?
    or Stand, as the BS says for 16 vs 5 ?
    You still have soft 16, not 16. When the ace must be counted as one you have 16.

I got A2 in my starting hand. Dealer shows a 4.

as the BS says, in A2 vs 4, I HIT.
    I receive a 3.
    now comes the troubles..

Should we consider this hand as A5 and therefore try to apply the BS regarding this hand ? if yes, BS says to DD A5 vs 4. But we can’t because ît’s a 3cards hand.
    so should we HIT ?
    If the A is able to be counted as 1 or 11 it is a soft hand so it is soft 16. You would hit soft16 versus a 4 if you can't double it.
    or should we refer to the BS as a hand 16 vs 4, which says STAND ?
    It is not 16 until you have an A and 15 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbs6582 View Post
    Come on Bosox, you’re smarter that. You guys say I troll. What about this guy? I saw this as a troll post from the beginning. It was actually kind of funny the way he kept you guys going. These questions were too basic. Nobody who has played bj would have asked them. Not even a ploppy, if they have played for more than a week. I could see immediately what he was doing.

I only counter conventional AP wisdom and some call me a troll. What I have noticed is there are just some beliefs within the AP community that you don’t challenge. Kind of like ploppy logic. There are just some things you don’t try to explain to them. They aren’t going to get it.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dipshit

Might have been a bad exemple.

let’s say

I got A2 in my starting hand. Dealer shows a 4.

as the BS says, in A2 vs 4, I HIT.
    I receive a 3.
    now comes the troubles..

Should we consider this hand as A5 and therefore try to apply the BS regarding this hand ?
    if yes, BS says to DD A5 vs 4. But we can’t because ît’s a 3cards hand.
    so should we HIT ?

or should we refer to the BS as a hand 16 vs 4, which says STAND ?
    Letangs, if you read my very first response on the first page, I already answered this, though looking back I didnt word it well, must've been in a rush. For soft hands:

When you are no longer allowed to double on hands you normally would, YOU ALWAYS HIT.... UNTIL A7. Then, wirh A7 or A8, when you can't double on hands you normally would, you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    I STILL wouldn't call it 19!! EVER! It's multi-card A,8, and the rule for multi-card soft hands is: hit anyting A,6 or below, stand on anything A,8 or above, and (for multi-deck) for A,7, stand vs. dealer's 2-8 and hit vs. 9, 10, and Ace.

I've never considered a soft hand 17, or 18, or 19, or 20, or 21 in my life. It's a very poor way to learn how to play.
    Don
    Okay, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I never think of a big long rule like that when playing blackjack. I never like to think A,anything. I like to get that soft hand converted to a number right away. In fact, for just about all of basic strategy I don't think of some long worded rule to make my play. If it isn't automatic for me I picture the basic strategy chart in my mind. Okay, so maybe your way is better. It is just I have never done it that way.

So my question to everyone here is what goes through your mind when you have a multi-card soft hand. Do you think of a rule like Don suggested, or think of something like 9 or 19 or some other way. I don't care what is the best way, just how do you do it?
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 08-19-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Okay, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I never think of a big long rule like that when playing blackjack. I never like to think A,anything. I like to get that soft hand converted to a number right away. In fact, for just about all of basic strategy I don't think of some long worded rule to make my play. If it isn't automatic for me I picture the basic strategy chart in my mind. Okay, so maybe your way is better. It is just I have never done it that way.

So my question to everyone here is what goes through your mind when you have a multi-card soft hand. Do you think of a rule like Don suggested, or think of something like 9 or 19 or some other way. I don't care what is the best way, just how do you do it.
    I naturally did it Don's way, only calling the hand just a number once the Ace has to be a one.

Well, I get what Don said.

What I'm just trying to figure out is how to visualize that in the BS chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    So my question to everyone here is what goes through your mind when you have a multi-card soft hand. Do you think of a rule like Don suggested, or think of something like 9 or 19 or some other way. I don't care what is the best way, just how do you do it.
    If you can't or don't want to double, you want at least soft 18 against an 8 or less and at least a soft 19 against 9 or more.

As Don stated, it's "Ace + the sum of the other cards." Anyone calling A,2,2,A "6 or 16" or "soft 16" is an amateur.

Not everyone can understand at the same speed. No need to be rude.

When you look at the BS sheet, it's not "that natural" to think that a A 2 2 A is a A5.
    Especially because you can't double down on a such hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    As Don stated, it's "Ace + the sum of the other cards." Anyone calling A,2,2,A "6 or 16" or "soft 16" is an amateur.
    It's two pair. Relax Francis, it is just a matter of what makes things jam in your head.

When I was learning I put either Dh or Ds on my BS chart, so if I can't double I know the alternative is to hit for Dh and stand for Ds. By drilling enough using software and apps I found it became automatic after a while.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast