See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If a friend came to you and said "I want to learn how to count cards..."

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    Or don't, decimals make for extra fun
    I'll let Freightman/TThree/Don touch upon that one.

Though they’re a those who espouse Doubled Halves (Gramazeka as an example) and granted I learned fractional halves off the bat - I don’t like doubled halves because

1. Either double the index values and divide those by 2 as well to get to the proper value for decision making, which takes too much time, or
    2. Use the regular index values and use half deck resolution to calculate, which also takes more time.

Further, maybe the brains of others are wired like mine, which interpolates values within the top and bottom range of each true count, which for me is instantaneous, which essentially dies the same thing as both points above, and more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Though they’re a those who espouse Doubled Halves (Gramazeka as an example) and granted I learned fractional halves off the bat - I don’t like doubled halves because

1. Either double the index values and divide those by 2 as well to get to the proper value for decision making, which takes too much time, or
    2. Use the regular index values and use half deck resolution to calculate, which also takes more time.

Further, maybe the brains of others are wired like mine, which interpolates values within the top and bottom range of each true count, which for me is instantaneous, which essentially dies the same thing as both points above, and more quickly.
    Points 1/2 is the reason I decided not to double them, I figured it's not worth adding another step to slow down decision-making.

I dont ever really divide to get the TC, I just keep the decks remaining in back of my mind and know the bottom RC for each TC bracket (flooring)... So if 3.5 decks left and RC is 13.5 I just know my TC is 3, and as soon as it goes to 14, TC becomes 4. Is that what you meant in the last paragraph?

Points 1/2 is the reason I decided not to double them, I figured it's not worth adding another step to slow down decision-making.

I dont ever really divide to get the TC, I just keep the decks remaining in back of my mind and know the bottom RC for each TC bracket (flooring)... So if 3.5 decks left and RC is 13.5 I just know my TC is 3, and as soon as it goes to 14, TC becomes 4. Is that what you meant in the last paragraph?
    That’s a good approach, though not exactly what I meant. If you have acquired cvcx, notice the mild differences in betting when simulating the exact same info, firstly with whole true counts, and then comparing them against 1/2 true count option. Half true counts is essentially what I’m doing in my head - through interpolation.

I should add that this is for informational purposes, as my betting strategies are more than lkely different tHan most.

Black Belt in Blackjack - Arnold Snyder

The choice of a book depends on the count you are going to use. If you are going to play KO, then buy the Knock Out book. Buy the book that presents the count you are going to use.

How about fractions instead of decimals. Like Freightman I don't double the value, but think in terms of fractions not decimals.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Letangs View Post
    And you could recommend him only ONE book.
    Which would it be ?
    I would recommend Blackjack Life by Nathaniel Tilton.

It provides enough technical data for you to get a feel and understanding about what is required and provides an informative and entertaining introduction to the world of AP blackjack.
    With that information you are now ready to make a decision about learning to count.

Norm's book on this site would be my next recommendation and there are others that have been suggested that are good. One will not get the job done.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Hi,
    If this person were truly a friend and, for some weird reason, he limits me to just one book to teach him how to count cards, I would tell him not to bother asking me that question because it doesn't make any sense. It's hard to explain, but I've been doing this a helluva long time and there is no way I can see someone making enough meaningful progress from reading one book. It would be a big disservice to my friend to let him walk away thinking that my one book recommendation is going to make any difference.
    In trying to help a friend, I would need to know a lot of information about what he's trying to accomplish and what his situation is like.
    If the question is trying to ask, "What is the most comprehensive, useful book on card counting?" I'd say it's Norm's free online book. But, even that mega-excellent book cannot cover everything one needs to know to truly understand what's going on with card counting. Also, everyone is different and as they say, "Your mileage may vary."

Best,
    SiMi

I would keep it modern and recommend him "Modern Blackjack".

You guys confirm that Norm's free book is a must read ? I must confess that I didn't throw an eye onto it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Letangs View Post
    You guys confirm that Norm's free book is a must read ? I must confess that I didn't throw an eye onto it yet.
    It possesses much relevant information. Consider taking time after supper to read. Sim charts, data points, anecdotes, stories, and facts-of-live relevant to 21 AP playing.

Quote Originally Posted by dogman_1234 View Post
    It possesses much relevant information. Consider taking time after supper to read. Sim charts, data points, anecdotes, stories, and facts-of-live relevant to 21 AP playing.
    I must take some hours of my free time to have a look at it then !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast