See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This a Heat Sink ???

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Is This a Heat Sink ???

I don’t wong in, but I do wong out at TC-3 (hi-lo). Recently I was at a table (6 deck) with a dealer that I liked (good penetration), but early in the shoe I wonged out (only 2 decks in discard tray). I walked around looking for shoes about to start but to no avail. So then it hit me: wait it out and come back to the same table at about the time for a new shoe to start (and hope the same dealer would still be there).

My question: in the future (with a good dealer) instead of officially leaving should I request him/her to reserve my spot by feigning a bathroom break (and leave some chips to secure my place)… then timing it to come back to a new shoe? Or, is this too long, and becomes a “heat sink”?

Note: the approximate time per shoe (4.5/6) is about 12 mins, so (in my case) with only 2 decks in discard tray leaving 2.5 decks yet to be played of the 4.5 decks = 55% of shoe yet to be played = 0.55 * 12 min = 6.7 mins of reserving my spot. This, in reality, is a long bathroom break (or perhaps it was severe intestinal distress??). Probably not a good move if “the house is a rockin”.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Yes, you could just leave a couple of chips, tell the dealer and any other ploppy next to you that you would be right back and they will keep the spot for you. The dealer often puts a plastic laminate on your spot. I wong out at TC-2. I first take a phone call, wave at the dealer to go on without me and just pretend to talk on the phone for a round while keeping count. If the count stays negative, I might spend a 2nd round on the phone while standing behind my chair. If the count still remains negative, I sometimes will stay out if the dealer busts on the round saying, the others are doing good and I dont want t screw them up. Other times, I take a bathroom break and return and if there is still a round or two to be played, I might play minimum or take another call while standing right behind my chair or simply say I will wait for the next shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    Note: the approximate time per shoe (4.5/6) is about 12 mins, so (in my case) with only 2 decks in discard tray leaving 2.5 decks yet to be played of the 4.5 decks = 55% of shoe yet to be played = 0.55 * 12 min = 6.7 mins of reserving my spot. This, in reality, is a long bathroom break
    I don't think 6-7 mins is really that long, especially if you're older and can pull off a slow walk to and from the bathroom. Give a big stretch as you get up, "ooh that arthritis!" If you're younger, maybe come back from the bathroom with an alcohol-looking drink, "since you were already up"

Lol, but in all seriousness, most people I know can take 20 mins in the bathroom, those dopes just sit there on their phones scrolling through social media and dumb shit
    Last edited by CountinCanadian; 07-30-2018 at 12:08 AM.

all those moves are really played out . if the store don't sweat too much you may get away for a while otherwise it is about the store. we all do it but when is too much ? more than once?

They don't have to go to the phone or talk to communicate. Think about what they would do .

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    you could just leave a couple of chips, tell the dealer and any other ploppy next to you
    Explaining your departure to other players at the table is just stupid. This isn't a team sport, unless the team is yours.

Always keep your spot. There might not be a spot available when you get back. But it all should be seamless with your act. Going to the bathroom is a classic, fake phone calls, or just keep it simple and say that you need to stretch your legs dismissively as you get up.

There is one situation that can happen with this approach however, and is when you get back to the table that there are no other players and 1/4 or 1/3 or whatever of the shoe is dealt and you'll have no idea what the count is. It's rather awkward when it happens. I usually just scoop my chips up and leave until they shuffle a new shoe ready to go.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Explaining your departure to other players at the table is just stupid. This isn't a team sport, unless the team is yours.
    Where I play, it's good to get along with others and when I do, I can ask to see their cards and that helps in making close decisions. Often, playing with regular locals, being able to ask them what cards they have and seeing the hands or 6-8 cards (3-4 ploppies) before they tuck in does help.

You can act as an impolite a$%&ole or you can be friendly. It reflects our personalities. Mine is friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    I don't think 6-7 mins is really that long, especially if you're older and can pull off a slow walk
    Oh yeah, I can pull that off very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushie View Post
    Always keep your spot. There might not be a spot available when you get back..
    And this is along the line of my original question. If the house is packed and my spot would be taken if not reserved, would my 6 minute departure (awaiting a new shoe) create angst w/ the PB (or surveillance) due to the house’s lost revenue during that time? Presumably if my reserved spot is in the cross hairs of the camera because of this long leave, then my return that just so happens to coincide w/ a new shoe would look suspicious and possibly put me on their watch list when I wasn’t there before.
    I realize it’s all a cat and mouse game that we play… and someone in a previous post said “you don’t have heat until you have it”, which seems very apropos.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    You can act Impolite… or you can be friendly. It reflects our personalities. Mine is friendly.
    My personality is more aligned w/ ZeeBabar.

Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    Oh yeah, I can pull that off very well.

And this is along the line of my original question. If the house is packed and my spot would be taken if not reserved, would my 6 minute departure (awaiting a new shoe) create angst w/ the PB (or surveillance) due to the house’s lost revenue during that time? Presumably if my reserved spot is in the cross hairs of the camera because of this long leave, then my return that just so happens to coincide w/ a new shoe would look suspicious and possibly put me on their watch list when I wasn’t there before.
    I realize it’s all a cat and mouse game that we play… and someone in a previous post said “you don’t have heat until you have it”, which seems very apropos.

My personality is more aligned w/ ZeeBabar.
    Look, if the place is quiet then you should be fine just collecting your chips and bailing for a bit. Don't leave your chips though because most places won't reshuffle if theres only a reserved spot on the table and no other players. If it's busy or steady leave your chips and take a break. Linger round, take a fake phone, pretend to text whatever but keep the game in the corner of your eye and jump in when its about to reach their cut card or close to it. A couple blind rounds will cost you next to nothing.

Heat varies from store to store. But I think generally it's fine as people jump in and out of games all the time when mid-shoe entry is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushie View Post
    A couple blind rounds will cost you next to nothing.
    A good point.

This fake phone call seems risky unless you're a really good actor (and even then). I mean, if surveillance has their eye on you already for one reason or another, they'll easily be able to see your phone wasn't even ringing. I'm fascinated it works for so many of you; I haven't even tried it (nor will I, I don't think). I usually just try and use what the environment gives me. Heck, if I get a (real) phone call and the count is negative, even if it isn't quite as negative as my wong-out point, I'll take advantage of it and use the real call. If I get text messages, I can use those. If I make it back from the bathroom early, I can use the fact that people are winning a lot or losing a lot as reason to wait out till the shuffle (either as a "you're welcome" or "uh oh... no no, leave me out of it"; standard gambler superstition stuff, though make sure to only use one or the other in a given session... using opposing superstitions is obviously ill-advised). Are ploppies sitting out hands due to luck and flow of cards a lot at the table? I'll take advantage of that at REALLY low counts and do what the ploppies are doing already (and come back in after it is back up, but only after a round that looks like a RC killer with a few tens in it.

Doing "fake" stuff just seems like it is asking for trouble and a giveaway. That said, you all seem to be saying it works, so maybe I'm just super risk-averse as far as cover goes. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonDetroit View Post
    This fake phone call seems risky unless you're a really good actor (and even then). I mean, if surveillance has their eye on you already for one reason or another, they'll easily be able to see your phone wasn't even ringing. I'm fascinated it works for so many of you; I haven't even tried it (nor will I, I don't think). I usually just try and use what the environment gives me. Heck, if I get a (real) phone call and the count is negative, even if it isn't quite as negative as my wong-out point, I'll take advantage of it and use the real call. If I get text messages, I can use those. If I make it back from the bathroom early, I can use the fact that people are winning a lot or losing a lot as reason to wait out till the shuffle (either as a "you're welcome" or "uh oh... no no, leave me out of it"; standard gambler superstition stuff, though make sure to only use one or the other in a given session... using opposing superstitions is obviously ill-advised). Are ploppies sitting out hands due to luck and flow of cards a lot at the table? I'll take advantage of that at REALLY low counts and do what the ploppies are doing already (and come back in after it is back up, but only after a round that looks like a RC killer with a few tens in it.

Doing "fake" stuff just seems like it is asking for trouble and a giveaway. That said, you all seem to be saying it works, so maybe I'm just super risk-averse as far as cover goes. ;-)
    I used to use an app called something like fake a call. I would program it to ring, it would have pictures as to was "calling" with their names etc. It was easy to differentiate from a real call, simp,y by using a different ring tone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast