See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for cover?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What do you do for cover?

I'm a bit paranoid about being caught (never have yet though), so I employ some acting cover - but not really any betting cover.

Some things I do:

Act like a gambler - I get mad/frustrated when I lose, especially when dealer pulls crazy 21 (the hardest part of this for me is getting as mad for a min bet as a max, but I'm working on it). I get excited about wins. I'm not necessarily acting for these - it does sting when I lose and feel good when I win, but I try and amplify it a bit.

Order an alcoholic drink -I'll occasionally order a drink and take a sip or two.

Tip - i know i'll get bashed for this, but when the count is high i'll occasionally put a small denomination chip on my big bet for the dealer. if I win, I give the winning chip to the dealer and keep the original chip in place (i actually read this tip on this board). Sometimes i'm afraid this makes me look cheap, but i figure it's better than nothing. if i have a huge win (over a few thousand), I'll tip a green or a few red as i color up when the pit is watching. i know tipping reduces my EV, but it can't hurt to have the dealer on your side. i only tip for dealers who help me with a better cut or are truly nice.

Sit out some hands - When the count is lower than -2, I'll sit out some hands after a loss and talk about changing the flow of the cards.

Ploppy talk - Play enough with gamblers and you'll pick up their body language and actual language. I've learned that there's absolutely NOTHING you can say that is too crazy. Ploppy logic is an oxymoron.

Anybody else willing to share some of their cover?

you left out the most important facts...the game you play, unit and ramp

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    In my opinion,

Cover values and priority

1. Betting structures (think Dynamic Betting + others) (70%)
    2. Playing persona and pit awareness (15%)
    3. Length of session (10%)
    4. Play departures (think Ultimate Gambit) (5%)

Percentages provided to show emphasis not absolutes.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Quote Originally Posted by cottage cheese View Post
    I'm a bit paranoid about being caught (never have yet though), so I employ some acting cover - but not really any betting cover.

Some things I do:

Act like a gambler - I get mad/frustrated when I lose, especially when dealer pulls crazy 21 (the hardest part of this for me is getting as mad for a min bet as a max, but I'm working on it). I get excited about wins. I'm not necessarily acting for these - it does sting when I lose and feel good when I win, but I try and amplify it a bit.

Order an alcoholic drink -I'll occasionally order a drink and take a sip or two.

Tip - i know i'll get bashed for this, but when the count is high i'll occasionally put a small denomination chip on my big bet for the dealer. if I win, I give the winning chip to the dealer and keep the original chip in place (i actually read this tip on this board). Sometimes i'm afraid this makes me look cheap, but i figure it's better than nothing. if i have a huge win (over a few thousand), I'll tip a green or a few red as i color up when the pit is watching. i know tipping reduces my EV, but it can't hurt to have the dealer on your side. i only tip for dealers who help me with a better cut or are truly nice.

Sit out some hands - When the count is lower than -2, I'll sit out some hands after a loss and talk about changing the flow of the cards.

Ploppy talk - Play enough with gamblers and you'll pick up their body language and actual language. I've learned that there's absolutely NOTHING you can say that is too crazy. Ploppy logic is an oxymoron.

Anybody else willing to share some of their cover?
    I find it much easier to get frustrated over losses than excited over wins. And I think ploppies also get more angry over bigger losses than small ones. I think its abnormal for anyone, AP or ploppy, to be as upset over a table minimum loss as a max bet.

Most of those things aren't cover.

limited your winning, i would leave if i am up 3-4 hundred in a green chip minimum table, and not return at least for a week.

Don't reduce my bet after a win even if the count goes negative. This only applies when the pit is watching me tho

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I wear a T shirt that says, "I'm just a part-time recreational counter."

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    you left out the most important facts...the game you play, unit and ramp
    Mostly 6/8 deck, all with surrender, some S17, some H17. spreading 15/25-1x400 or 2x275. my ramp is pretty standard; i don't use much betting cover since i don't want to give up the EV. if i were playing DD i might add some

Quote Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter View Post
    Don't reduce my bet after a win even if the count goes negative. This only applies when the pit is watching me tho
    This one is really tough for me to do, but it doesn't happen too often because i play multi-deck shoes. with DD i'd imagine it's more important

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    I wear a T shirt that says, "I'm just a part-time recreational counter."
    I have that on a cap, but without the redundant language.

Quote Originally Posted by ellenc View Post
    limited your winning, i would leave if i am up 3-4 hundred in a green chip minimum table, and not return at least for a week.

I leave after i put out my big bet if it's at the end of a shoe. i can return but try to make it during a different shift

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    In my opinion,

Cover values and priority

1. Betting structures (think Dynamic Betting + others) (70%)
    2. Playing persona and pit awareness (15%)
    3. Length of session (10%)
    4. Play departures (think Ultimate Gambit) (5%)

Percentages provided to show emphasis not absolutes.
    Is betting structure important for a 6/8 deck shoe, or it's needed mostly for DD? What are some deviations you make? Not lowering after a win?

I keep my DD sessions very short, and always leave after showing a big bet. For 6/8 deck, my sessions are usually longer because it takes longer for the count to rise. I don't use any play departures because i don't want it to affect my EV, though i'm not a red chipper anymore so maybe it's time...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast