Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with odd rules

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Don
    Pardon my inexperience - would you be kind enough to explain the fundamentals of "do doubling after splitting".

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration
    He's having a senior moment. Don't molest the master.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    He's having a senior moment. Don't molest the master.
    Just for the record - I have the utmost regard and respect for Don. His works are masterful and required for any serious player. I admire his absolute brilliance, noting that it exceeds my own. Catching him in a typo is cause for jocularity and celebration. Beating him in a math argument would be a crowning glory.

Just for the record - I have the utmost regard and respect for Don. His works are masterful and required for any serious player. I admire his absolute brilliance, noting that it exceeds my own. Catching him in a typo is cause for jocularity and celebration. Beating him in a math argument would be a crowning glory.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    Since when does NDAS stand for "do doubling after splitting"?
    Damn! And the n isn't even close to the d, so I can't claim "fat fingers." Sigh. Corrected.

Don

Don
    Pardon my inexperience - would you be kind enough to explain the fundamentals of "do doubling after splitting".

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration
    Sophisticated concept, perhaps too (note spelling) complicated for you.

Don

Hang in there; that day, too, will come. Just not today!

Don

One way to calculate this is to do it manually with a CA, but it'd be a pain in the ass.

Remove the split card and look at the EV for each 2 card hand with the split card as one of them against a given upcard. So for example if the split card is 4, remove a 4 from the deck and look at the EV for a4, 24, 34, 44, ..., T4 and take the weighted EVs of the standing on each hand (with my CA you would just need to click the cell for the hand vs upcard to get the prob and ev). If 2*EV of standing is > the original strategy EV for the pair then double for that split card/upcard combo.

To calculate the final EV then you would simply add the difference in the EV for each hand that you double after split from the original strategy on weighted by the probs of the relevant pair/upcard combos.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    "But now I’m consfused on some tough calls like do I split 9-9 against a 9. Book says do it but now you lose the ability to draw a 2 and option the double. I’m sure there are lots of variations. Tried to look up these rules on wizard of odds with no luck."

How is this any different from splitting 9,9 vs. 9 with NDAS? I don't see your problem. You split.

Don
    8 deck, S17, DAS, DOA, ENHC, NoSurr, RS2, RSA2 and for a specific hand (9,9) vs 9 :-

1) STAND, EV= -18.470%
    2) SPLIT and draw a 2nd card, DOUBLE if you draw a 2(standard rule), EV = -9.471%
    3) SPLIT and draw a 2nd card, HIT until 17 or more(not allow to DOUBLE after you draw a 2nd card, ugaman007's odd rule), EV = -10.530%
    4) SPLIT and BEFORE draw a 2nd card, DOUBLE on single card 9(ugaman007's odd rule), EV = -60.316%

These can be repeated for any other hands and hence complete BS can be determined for that odd rule.

Double on a single card(after split) = NDAS + STAND + 1 additional unit bet.

Results obtained by simulations
    Last edited by James989; 09-18-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugaman007 View Post
    So just playing online multi hand bj on mybookie and they have some weird rules I haven’t seen and not finding strategy online. Seem to change normal play a lot and looking to see if anyone has a way to figure perfect play against it.
    So rules are dealer does not peak at down card so don’t find out about BJs until after play is over and it takes any doubles or splits from player. Definitely bad for player and I have decided it seems never in favor to either split or double when dealer has a 10 or A.

However, the big change is on splits it will not automatically deal your split hands a second card to then determine if you would like to double. You now have the opportunity to double immediately on just 1 card. So now splitting 10s doesn’t seem so bad in certain instances. In case I’m not clear I’ll give example. I bet $1 and Dealer dealt a 6 up and I have JQ. If I split I now have a hand of just a J for $1 with option to double and same with Q. So I can double with just a single 10 value card and now make a quadruple bet against the 6.

Also rules are only split once and stand on soft 17.
    Bj pays 3/2. No surrender. I’m not sure on the number of decks and I’m assuming shuffle after every hand.
    Your game base rule : CSM, 8 deck, S17, DOA, ENHC, NoSurr, RS2, RSA2 :-

1) If DAS(standard rule, allow Double for split 2 card hand), the house edge = -0.599%
    For example, 9,9 vs 5, split and receive 1 new card for each hand to form 9,2 vs 5 and 9,T vs 5, then Double for 1st hand and STAND for 2nd hand .

2) If NDAS(standard rule, not allow Double for split 2 card hand), the house edge = -0.724%
    For example, 9,9 vs 5, split and receive 1 new card for each hand to form 9,2 vs 5 and 9,T vs 5, then NO Double but HIT for 1st hand and STAND for 2nd hand.

3) If NDAS(not allow Double for split 2 card hand) but allow Double on split single card hand(with proper strategy), the house edge = will surprise you !
    For example, 9,9 vs 5, split and BEFORE receive a new card for each hand, Double on a single 9 vs 5 for both hand.

All results obtained by simulations.

Contact me to discuss further : [email protected]

DAS.jpgNDAS.jpg
    Last edited by James989; 09-19-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12