Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with odd rules

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Help with odd rules

So just playing online multi hand bj on mybookie and they have some weird rules I haven’t seen and not finding strategy online. Seem to change normal play a lot and looking to see if anyone has a way to figure perfect play against it.
    So rules are dealer does not peak at down card so don’t find out about BJs until after play is over and it takes any doubles or splits from player. Definitely bad for player and I have decided it seems never in favor to either split or double when dealer has a 10 or A.

However, the big change is on splits it will not automatically deal your split hands a second card to then determine if you would like to double. You now have the opportunity to double immediately on just 1 card. So now splitting 10s doesn’t seem so bad in certain instances. In case I’m not clear I’ll give example. I bet $1 and Dealer dealt a 6 up and I have JQ. If I split I now have a hand of just a J for $1 with option to double and same with Q. So I can double with just a single 10 value card and now make a quadruple bet against the 6.

Also rules are only split once and stand on soft 17.
    Bj pays 3/2. No surrender. I’m not sure on the number of decks and I’m assuming shuffle after every hand.

You're mostly right about never doubling or splitting vs 10 or A, however, only exception is you still want to split AA vs 10.

I'm not too sure how to go about the odd rule of doubling on 1 card after split. However, if you're able to double on A after splitting, that would be pretty lucrative. I'd probably do it on everything except dealer upcard of 10, where I'd just split and play it out normally. And of course AA v A don't split, just hit.

When you're splitting your 9's according to basic strategy, I'd probably double vs 3-6 right after the split and just hit on everything else. 10's, I'd probably take it aggressive and split then double everything 2-9. Maybe stand 2, 7 8 9, but definitely do it 3-6 I'd think.

If you don't double on 1 card after split, are you still able to double after taking a second card? If not this would change things even more. Again I'm not sure about this, just thought I'd give my guess as you've still got no replies.

Is it one deck or infinite?

And can you hit on split aces?

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    Is it one deck or infinite?
    I believe it’s 8 deck but can’t tell. It’s auto-shuffled. I know it’s more than 1 cause I’ll see identical cards in same deal occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    You're mostly right about never doubling or splitting vs 10 or A, however, only exception is you still want to split AA vs 10.

I'm not too sure how to go about the odd rule of doubling on 1 card after split. However, if you're able to double on A after splitting, that would be pretty lucrative. I'd probably do it on everything except dealer upcard of 10, where I'd just split and play it out normally. And of course AA v A don't split, just hit.

When you're splitting your 9's according to basic strategy, I'd probably double vs 3-6 right after the split and just hit on everything else. 10's, I'd probably take it aggressive and split then double everything 2-9. Maybe stand 2, 7 8 9, but definitely do it 3-6 I'd think.

If you don't double on 1 card after split, are you still able to double after taking a second card? If not this would change things even more. Again I'm not sure about this, just thought I'd give my guess as you've still got no replies.
    No you can’t take a card and then double. Only immediately without receiving second card. Definitely changes a lot. So if your dealt 88 against a 6 you can split the eights and left with 2 hands of 8. If you hit and are fortunate enough to get a 3, you can still hit, but option to double is gone. I’ve seen profitability splitting 10s against 3-6 because even though you may hurt your hand, quadrupling your bet is much better than your hands potentially suffering the same and only getting to double your bet.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    And can you hit on split aces?
    Yes you can split aces and immediately double down. It’s a no brainer except for when dealer shows a ten or ace because remember in my first post, the dealer doesnt peak at his other card so if he does turn blackjack you lose all money including what is split and doubled. But yes you can split AA into 2 hands of just A and A. Now you can chose to double both down and get only the second card on each. But now I’m consfused on some tough calls like do I split 9-9 against a 9. Book says do it but now you lose the ability to draw a 2 and option the double. I’m sure there are lots of variations. Tried to look up these rules on wizard of odds with no luck.

I came up with the same conclusion as you not knowing 100% if it’s correct. Pretty much 9-9 and 10-10 splitting and doubling (4x) against 3-6 and standing against everything else. Against 10 or ace I generally don’t do anything except play straight bj by the book and omitting any doubling and split options. Like if I’m dealt 8-3 against a 10 I just hit instead of doubling, since dealer ace takes all and now I have the option to rehit if I get 2-5. The only exception is A.A. against 10 I usually split and then just hit instead of double since dealer could still flip an A and take my 4 bet. Just hitting the single ace leads to a bunch of soft hands that have 2 chances to get a strong hand.
    Last edited by Ugaman007; 08-03-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Clarification

"But now I’m consfused on some tough calls like do I split 9-9 against a 9. Book says do it but now you lose the ability to draw a 2 and option the double. I’m sure there are lots of variations. Tried to look up these rules on wizard of odds with no luck."

How is this any different from splitting 9,9 vs. 9 with NDAS? I don't see your problem. You split.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    "But now I’m consfused on some tough calls like do I split 9-9 against a 9. Book says do it but now you lose the ability to draw a 2 and option the double. I’m sure there are lots of variations. Tried to look up these rules on wizard of odds with no luck."

How is this any different from splitting 9,9 vs. 9 with NDAS? I don't see your problem. You split.

Don
    Because your putting more money against a 9 but lose the option to double if you draw a 2 first card. So your return loses a few percentage points. So it may still be correct move, but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugaman007 View Post
    Because your putting more money against a 9 but lose the option to double if you draw a 2 first card. So your return loses a few percentage points. So it may still be correct move, but maybe not.
    I repeat: have you never heard of the rule, NDAS (no doubling after splitting)? It is common. And splitting 9,9 vs. 9 with NDAS is, by far, superior to standing. It isn't even close. The point is, this has nothing to do with the rule you're citing. It's a known rule since forever.

Don
    Last edited by DSchles; 08-05-2018 at 09:32 AM.

I repeat: have you never heard of the rule, NDAS (do doubling after splitting)?

Don
    Since when does NDAS stand for "do doubling after splitting"?

I repeat: have you never heard of the rule, NDAS (do doubling after splitting)? It is common. And splitting 9,9 vs. 9 with NDAS is, by far, superior to standing. It isn't even close. The point is, this has nothing to do with the rule you're citing. It's a known rule since forever.

Don
    Don
    Pardon my inexperience - would you be kind enough to explain the fundamentals of "do doubling after splitting".

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast