Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought the Kindle Version of Professional Blackjack

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Just Bought the Kindle Version of Professional Blackjack

I've had Professional Blackjack since about 1986. It was one of the first books I bought. I have both the black hard cover book, and also the green paper book which I think is a 1994 version. However, I wanted the Kindle version to put on my PC to make it much faster and easier to look something up.

For those that don't know you don't need a Kindle to read a kindle book. Amazon has a free app to install on a PC so you can read any kindle book. And to my surprise I got a 30% credit for any other kindle book because I ordered it on Prime day.

Anyway, here is my beef. As far as I know there is no way to tell what page you are on. Since you can adjust the font, page width, and line spacing page numbers become meaningless. They have a location number instead which really tells me nothing. Now when Freightman says to check out the chart on page 91 and 92 I want to be able to go there. Does anybody know if there is some way to see what page number you are on with Kindle? Remember this is Kindle for PC I'm using. Except for this page number thing I think Kindle for PC is great.

Not a good book to buy on kindle. Trust me, that was my first kindle purchase. I bought a hard copy right after and it’s with me at all times...

Keep in mind that the Kindle version also contains most of the material in Basic Blackjack and Blackjack Secrets, and the paper version does not.

Al Rogers
    BJ21.com Administrator

Was not aware of this. The kindle version is tough to read from start to finish. The book is more of a reference for me. While possible through kindle, referencing is more of a neusance compared to hard copy.

first world problems, I know...
    Last edited by Sharpe; 07-20-2018 at 06:26 PM.

How often, if at all, do you go back and read books you have already read? Especially, if you have been playing as a pro, daily, for a decade?

I read a whole lot of books a long time ago, from Jerry Patterson before he sold out, Wongs books, Revere, Uston, Don S., and lighter ones, but have not looked at any in a couple of years. The only won I carried about till I left it in a motel was BJ3.

I am wondering why you guys return to it so often. I have the indexes and I-18 and such printed out that I refer to from time to time but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    I am wondering why you guys return to it so often. I have the indexes and I-18 and such printed out that I refer to from time to time but that's it.
    Don't you understand that for the rest of us the game does not come naturally to us like it does to you? Not everyone is in your comfort zone, beaming with confidence.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Don't you understand that for the rest of us the game does not come naturally to us like it does to you? Not everyone is in your comfort zone, beaming with confidence.
    Written as a full-time pro, the response being nasty and sarcastic as expected.

A decent response would have required honesty so ask yourself why you do it and share. Dr. Wongs book was written in the 90's. What is in there that you use today when BJ3 or other options are available?

Written as a full-time pro, the response being nasty and sarcastic as expected.

A decent response would have required honesty so ask yourself why you do it and share. Dr. Wongs book was written in the 90's. What is in there that you use today when BJ3 or other options are available?
    To refresh ònes self on odd index numbers, to double check something that came up that was unusual, to determine something for a different set of rules. To check an exact location on some point to help s friend in a query. To assist us in widening the gap between revenue and expense. The list is endless. .

Bosox was sarcastic because your question was more ridiculous than usual.

He probably hasn’t read Wong’s Professional Blackjack.

In the Preface section on page xxiii in second paragraph third edition of Don's book, Don states:

"Permit me to explain. It might be a good idea to begin by telling you what Blackjack Attack is not. It is not a ''how to learn book to count cards" book (although readers will learn much about card counting)."

Further down in the same paragraph Don says:

"Instead, this book assumes a more advanced reader _ one who is already familiar with the above concepts and seeks a higher level of sophistication."

Personally, I have found these two books work perfectly together, and both books are perfect reference tools that are at our ready need. Unless of course if you leave them in hotel rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    In the Preface section on page xxiii in second paragraph third edition of Don's book, Don states:

"Permit me to explain. It might be a good idea to begin by telling you what Blackjack Attack is not. It is not a ''how to learn book to count cards" book (although readers will learn much about card counting)."

Further down in the same paragraph Don says:

"Instead, this book assumes a more advanced reader _ one who is already familiar with the above concepts and seeks a higher level of sophistication."

Personally, I have found these two books work perfectly together, and both books are perfect reference tools that are at our ready need. Unless of course if you leave them in hotel rooms.
    Hey Bosox, this is one point you and I are in total agreement on. These are the two books I always travel with, even when I’m not on a blackjack trip. I always pick up something new, or have something reinforced when I read sections a third, forth or fifth, etc, time.

Good responses. I generally do not play a variety of games, with different rules. On my places, MS, MO and Las Vegas, I play standard rules of H17, no Surrender. Some places have slight changes in DD games like double 9-11 only.

Anyway, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast