See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: How bad is El Cortez?

  1. #1


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

    How bad is El Cortez?

    I've heard a lot of people say El Cortez is really sweaty, but from what I've seen they have some of the best BJ in Vegas it seems.

    I'll probably be visiting Vegas for the first time soon, (mainly for the non-gambling aspects, seeing shows/buffets/etc), but wanted to play a bit while I'm there. My counting skills are not super good yet, and I'd only be spreading like $5 to $30 at most.

    Do you guys think I'll run into any issues playing there? Or should I just flat-bet at El Cortez? Skip it entirely?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    3rd rock from Sol, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    13,242


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by nighterfighter View Post
    I've heard a lot of people say El Cortez is really sweaty, but from what I've seen they have some of the best BJ in Vegas it seems.
    The two tend to go hand in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by nighterfighter View Post
    Do you guys think I'll run into any issues playing there? Or should I just flat-bet at El Cortez? Skip it entirely?
    I would skip it but I hvalue not having my picture on every surveillance podium in Vegas.

  3. #3


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    VERY SWEATY.

    If you want to get it off your "bucket list" then go the lastday of your trip.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

  4. #4


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Thanks for the replies.

    I'm going with family, and they want to play BJ, and I insisted that if we do play, we don't play on the strip because of the terrible rules.

    I guess I'll probably just flat-minimum bet at the Cortez if I do play.

  5. #5


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I’ve heard stories of back offs happening there upon increasing to $10 from $5. Soooo yeah. Pretty sweaty.

    There’s a reason it’s nicknamed both “The Sweaty Spaniard” and “Escortez”.

  6. #6


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthat16 View Post
    I’ve heard stories of back offs happening there upon increasing to $10 from $5. Soooo yeah. Pretty sweaty.

    There’s a reason it’s nicknamed both “The Sweaty Spaniard” and “Escortez”.
    Wow, a backoff on a $5 to $10 jump? Even ploppies like myself will do that....

    (Yes, I'm a ploppy...trying to change that though.)

  7. #7


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by nighterfighter View Post
    Wow, a backoff on a $5 to $10 jump? Even ploppies like myself will do that....

    (Yes, I'm a ploppy...trying to change that though.)
    Hey, I’ve got backed off and barred going from $10 to $30 at one of my local casinos. I also spread to two hands which could have also been a tip off. It happened about ten years ago. And they told me they have put me in their national database so I can’t play at any of their casinos in USA...at least not rated.

  8. #8


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthat16 View Post
    I’ve heard stories of back offs happening there upon increasing to $10 from $5. Soooo yeah. Pretty sweaty.

    There’s a reason it’s nicknamed both “The Sweaty Spaniard” and “Escortez”.
    I went from $5 first round to $10 in the second round into a negative count, dealer screams cheques play. Floor runs over like her life depended on it. It felt like I was on the set of some comedy show.

    Edit: Actually I think it was$10 to $15 IIRC
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

  9. #9


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbs6582 View Post
    Hey, I’ve got backed off and barred going from $10 to $30 at one of my local casinos. I also spread to two hands which could have also been a tip off. It happened about ten years ago. And they told me they have put me in their national database so I can’t play at any of their casinos in USA...at least not rated.
    Wow. This actually brings up something different about playing rated... I'll make a new thread because it isn't related to this one.

  10. #10


    Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I had no problems with a spread of $10 to $90. I only play one short session there on every trip. I also played there $25 min SD game and I have played both rated and anonymously. I do have an act, start a shoe with a double the minimum bet and play no more than 30-40 minutes, end the session when I am up someplace over $100 up.

    It is sweaty with bigger bets but you can certainly get through with a max bet under $30.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. El Cortez
    By klove in forum General Blackjack Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-07-2016, 08:28 AM
  2. Counting advice - El Cortez
    By 88butter88 in forum General Blackjack Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
  3. Bettie: Car crashes into El Cortez
    By Bettie in forum Las Vegas Everything
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 11:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

About Blackjack: The Forum

BJTF is an advantage player site based on the principles of comity. That is, civil and considerate behavior for the mutual benefit of all involved. The goal of advantage play is the legal extraction of funds from gaming establishments by gaining a mathematic advantage and developing the skills required to use that advantage. To maximize our success, it is important to understand that we are all on the same side. Personal conflicts simply get in the way of our goals.