See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help to better understand the N0

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by therefinery View Post
    The metric is hands played OR seen. They count towards n0.
    Whoa! Hold on here. My jaw just dropped! So the observed hands also go to N0??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29BoqCMRBFk
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
    Of course they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Of course they do.
    Okay. Is it the number of hands or rounds?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Rounds

Proofread please.
    Thank you. Fixed.

Don

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Don, is there anything wrong with the notion that, when playing a game at a disadvantage, the concept of N0 can still be applied as the number of rounds for which your negative expectation equals one standard deviation?
    No, nothing wrong at all. Just turn it around and look at your negative edge as a player as the house's positive edge, and calculate N0 from the house's point of view. Since the house is playing against you, that number has to be the same for either side, just with different meaning.

But, keep in mind that, if you know you're playing with no edge, there is no interest in betting at all, and so we have the concept of "maximum boldness," which says that, to make (negative) SCORE as large (least negative) as possible, you'd want the variance in the denominator to be as big as possible -- hence the "bet it all" approach. Because, if you make constant, "reasonable" flat bets, all with a disadvantage, you're going to lose with certainty.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29BoqCMRBFk
    Sigh. If we say it ten more times, will you ask ten more times if we really mean it?

It is inconceivable to me that anyone could believe it could be anything but what we are trying to explain. If you find an unbalanced roulette wheel that gives you a 20% edge, but it takes you a year of scouting and thousands upon thousands of hours to identify such an edge, do you just want to state that you have a 20% edge playing roulette and fail to inform us that you get to play once a year?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    No, nothing wrong at all. Just turn it around and look at your negative edge as a player as the house's positive edge, and calculate N0 from the house's point of view. Since the house is playing against you, that number has to be the same for either side, just with different meaning.

But, keep in mind that, if you know you're playing with no edge, there is no interest in betting at all, and so we have the concept of "maximum boldness," which says that, to make (negative) SCORE as large (least negative) as possible, you'd want the variance in the denominator to be as big as possible -- hence the "bet it all" approach. Because, if you make constant, "reasonable" flat bets, all with a disadvantage, you're going to lose with certainty.

Don
    Don,

I tried reading through it, but I was more shocked than anything else. I didn't ask anyone to re-explain it again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post

Don
    This would also be useful, or can be at least, in certain situations. Perhaps you're playing a game where once you play a certain amount of hours or put through a certain amount of action, you get a bonus at the end. In this type of a game, you're playing with an advantage overall, assuming you can complete the play-through requirement. You would still certainly want as little variance as possible. If this was on something like roulette, I'd just bet red and black and grind it out and not just put everything on black. I'd rather get as close to a guarantee to losing 5.26% on the play-through part then get the bonus at the end, instead of having a 47% chance to double up and a 53% chance to lose it all.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

I'm a little bit confused. Sorry gentlemen to interrupt but I got question as well about N0.
    Even though I'm a KO player I also have certain exit points for my game if either the first deck or the second deck dealt and not reaching a fix running count level being worthwhile to be continued playing.
    So my question is
    Will I get closer to my N0 by not playing those bad negative shoes because I wong out?

Thanks for any reply

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ferenc11 View Post
    I'm a little bit confused. Sorry gentlemen to interrupt but I got question as well about N0.
    Even though I'm a KO player I also have certain exit points for my game if either the first deck or the second deck dealt and not reaching a fix running count level being worthwhile to be continued playing.
    So my question is
    Will I get closer to my N0 by not playing those bad negative shoes because I wong out?

Thanks for any reply

If you stayed and watched with the intention of winning in then yes. If you left the table then no.

If you stayed and watched with the intention of winning in then yes. If you left the table then no.
    Thanks Three!!! Is it because the count might still rise again towards the end of the shoe?

Quote Originally Posted by ferenc11 View Post
    So my question is

Thanks for any reply

You have to compare apples to apples.

Your N0 is going to be calculated via simulation (most likely). Including exit points in your simulation is going to decrease the N0. You can't just sim something, say, a 1-16 spread play all approach....but then in real life wong out at whatever exit points you decide, and expect the N0 in the simulation to be useful for the way you're playing. Granted, if you can't simulate something but you know it's better than what you did sim, then it's going to be beneficial to actually play that way, then use the sim as a sort of a guideline and know you're playing better than the sim would dictate.

If you're going to wong out of a shoe, you're better off (EV wise) to go find another shoe, unless you're in some situation where you can constantly wong in and out of the same shoe (like what baccarat players do). As far as "getting closer to N0"....well, that just seems kind of a weird concept/question. Staying at the table after the count hits your "exit point index" and watching is kind of antithetical to exiting the shoe. Why continue to watch a table if it's reached the point at which you would no longer want to play? You came up with your exit point for a reason. Follow it.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123