See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: There No Doubling Index Option for 5,5 in CVCX (CVData,CVBJ)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

There No Doubling Index Option for 5,5 in CVCX (CVData,CVBJ)

From another thread, Three provided this insight:

Yes there is a decision hierarchy procedure.
    1) Insurance
    2) Surrender
    3) Split
    4) Double
    5) Hit/stand (effectively, the combined score of the cards -my addition here)

But in Norm's software the above hierarchy does not apply to 5,5 v Ace because there is no option in the Hard Doubles section of the Playing Strategy setup for a pair of 5's.

Within the software, the only rule that takes over (5,5 v Ace) is the Hard Double Down rule of 10vA (which my index is double down on TC>=3). Therefore, am I correct in assuming that this means BOTH the 5,5vAce and 10vAce have the same index rule? I.e. 5,5vA TC=7 is DOUBLE DOWN because 10vA TC=7 is DOUBLE DOWN ???

That is because you are always better playing it as a total of 10 than a pair of fives. You never split fives for this reason.

Thanks Three.

I guess then the decision hierarchy procedure is:

1) Insurance
    2) Surrender
    3) Split
    4) Double (except for 5's)
    5) Hit/stand

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    No the hierarchy is the same. You just never ever split fives. So you consider splitting but the index play is never ever split.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    5,5 = 10. Use 10.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    No the hierarchy is the same. You just never ever split fives. So you consider splitting but the index play is never ever split.
    I know you don't ever split fives, the question from the beginning was doubling on fives and why there was no index for it in norms software

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    I know you don't ever split fives, the question from the beginning was doubling on fives and why there was no index for it in norms software
    Knowing that your 10 total consists of 2 fives can alter the index a hair for certain matchups but it is not worth the trouble to remember. A pair of 4's is an 8. But the index for splitting is lower than the index for doubling. The gain after the index for doubling is exceeded is steeper than the gain for splitting after the index I can be exceeded. There are two camps for other to double or split when both are exceeded and there are two camps when it comes to that. Most vocal people on this issue say to always split but there are those that say there are times when it is better to double either to reduce variance or when the EV for doubling is higher than that of splitting. This debate will go on forever but the plurality say to split rather than play it a total of 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Knowing that your 10 total consists of 2 fives can alter the index a hair for certain matchups but it is not worth the trouble to remember. A pair of 4's is an 8. But the index for splitting is lower than the index for doubling. The gain after the index for doubling is exceeded is steeper than the gain for splitting after the index I can be exceeded. There are two camps for other to double or split when both are exceeded and there are two camps when it comes to that. Most vocal people on this issue say to always split but there are those that say there are times when it is better to double either to reduce variance or when the EV for doubling is higher than that of splitting. This debate will go on forever but the plurality say to split rather than play it a total of 8.
    Once again, good detailed information Three. Thank you.

Blog Entries

You can use the Comp. Dependent function to generate or add a specific index like 55vA. But, any gain would be so minor as to be useless.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse