See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I18 Index Clarification

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I18 Index Clarification

I apologize in advance if this topic is overkill and/or easy to find out with a quick search. I did google and search through the forum and archives as best as I could before posting...

I need some clarification on index plays using the illustrious 18. At this point, I am perfect on basic strategy, and excellent keeping the count and converting to a true count. I want to make sure I memorize the appropriate index plays while practicing. I have the Fab 4 memorized and will use when surrender is available...

My question is regarding the illustrious 18... Are there different index numbers based on S17, and H17? DAS? etc... If so, where can I find them?

I assume (?) there are valuable differences in the index plays based on the number of decks (SD/DD games indexes differ from 4-8 deck games).

I don't want to memorize a certain index for one game and implement the plays on another.

I've read Professional BJ but only have the Kindle version which makes it tough to use as a reference. I have a hard copy on order and have been meaning to purchase BJA as well.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Yes, there are slight variations for S17 vs H17 and for 1, 2 and more than 2 decks. They are in chapter 10 of BJA3. Just use what you have until you get the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Are there different index numbers based on S17, and H17? DAS? etc... If so, where can I find them?
    Yes. Wong's Professional Blackjack is my go to source with easy to find.read charts.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Yes. Wong's Professional Blackjack is my go to source with easy to find.read charts.
    Assuming hi lo, the main tables you are interested in start at about page 252.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post

I assume (?) there are valuable differences in the index plays based on the number of decks (SD/DD games indexes differ from 4-8 deck games).
    2D/4D/6D/8D have the same indexes for index play. SD has its own indexes. Since SD game is almost obsolete, you need only to remember one set of indexes universally for DD/6D/8D. If you play H17 games as well, you need to memorize one more set of indexes for H17.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Thank you! The Kindle version isn't a very convenient source when referring back to previous pages so I'm looking forward to getting the hard copy!

I would have purchased CVBJ and CVCX by now but I have a big golf match this weekend which could take up a decent portion of my current discretionary resources so I'm waiting it out a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I have a bookmark in at page 46. I make most use the charts on pp. 46-49 (in the green-covered 2005 printing)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Yes. For example, 12 v 6 is a hit at -1 in a S17 game and a hit at -3 in a H17 game. 11 v A is a double at 0 in a H17 game and a double at +1 in a S17 game.

Banned or Suspended

I love the way the completely perfect Basic Strategy (for all variations)
    in the 5th or 6th edition of "The Theory of Blackjack" by Peter Griffin is
    presented. It is so comprehensive that includes Basic Strategy changes
    for games that you will never play due to the game has too many decks,
    etc. Great Reading I assure you.

VERY inexpensive and must-reading for all neophyte Card Counters.

Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 06-15-2018 at 05:22 PM.

My indices differ from Hi-Lo indices, but some I-18 indices remain the same (or very nearly) at any level of pen. The I-18 indices impacted by pen (as in the index is different at one deck remaining than it is for four decks remaining) are: Insurance, 15vsT, 10vsT, 10vsA, 9vs7, 13vs2, and 13vs3. The four I-18 hands impacted by a difference between S17 and H17 are T,Tvs6, 11vsA, 9vs2, and 12vs6. Be advised that many of these differences are not that far off from one another, for instance 13vs2 being -1 hit at four decks remaining, but more like -2 at less than two decks remaining, 9vs7 is +3 at four decks remaining, but more like +2 with less than two decks remaining.
    Last edited by Tarzan; 06-13-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    9vs7 is +3 at four decks remaining, but more like +2 with less than two decks remaining.
    That’s good to know. I like doubling the 9 vs 7. I’m a doubler..if it’s close to the index, I usually go for it. Now I can get more aggressive with this one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    My indices differ from Hi-Lo indices, but some I-18 indices remain the same (or very nearly) at any level of pen. The I-18 indices impacted by pen (as in the index is different at one deck remaining than it is for four decks remaining) are: Insurance, 15vsT, 10vsT, 10vsA, 9vs7, 13vs2, and 13vs3. The four I-18 hands impacted by a difference between S17 and H17 are T,Tvs6, 11vsA, 9vs2, and 12vs6. Be advised that many of these differences are not that far off from one another, for instance 13vs2 being -1 hit at four decks remaining, but more like -2 at less than two decks remaining, 9vs7 is +3 at four decks remaining, but more like +2 with less than two decks remaining.
    Good information.

Just curious, does that mean you have multiple sets of indices memorized based on different penetrations?

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

I love the way the completely perfect Basic Strategy (for all variations)
    in the 5th or 6th edition of "The Theory of Blackjack" by Peter Griffin.

VERY inexpensive and must-reading for all neophyte Card Counters.

I’ll be there... I can’t PM.. [email protected]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast