Thread: Halves vs Double Halves

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Halves vs Double Halves

What is the difference in the power of these systems? Don ? Maybe i must see posts by Cacarullo ?
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

Is there more to double Halves than multiplying all the tag values and indexes to ease counting?

Halves reckons TC by full decks. Doubled Halves should reckon TC by half decks, very similar to the RPC. If you do it that way, there shouldn't be any difference at all between the two, provided that the accuracy you use in dividing by full decks is to the nearest half deck (NOT to be confused with dividing by the number of half decks remaining).

Don

Can Gronbog conduct simulations squeezing out a maximum power of more accurate indeces ?

https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...render-Indexes

I'm interested in the win rate when comparing these two systems...
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 06-02-2018 at 09:17 PM.

I usually offer to simulate things that can't be handled using CV. I'm not seeing anything unusual there. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Gramazeka View Post
    Can Gronbog conduct simulations squeezing out a maximum power of more accurate indeces ?

https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...render-Indexes

I'm interested in the win rate when comparing these two systems...
    Just a gut response, since I play fractional halves. You will get minutely better index results from doubled halves, assuming perfectly executed, over fractional halves. The difference is not worth simulating, especially considering that these decisions are made in the heat of battle, with such minute differences, that will make absolutely apprecuable difference over the long haul.

I can provide an analogy, but to keep it simple, by doubling, then dividing by 2, or estimating by half decks, is essentially the same as assigning values to every card, creating a pool of numbers that are double the original, and by computer sim, some values exceed, by more than 2x, the original frctional index value.

You can get close to the same results, by checking your own sims in CVCX, using the same true count brackets, then comparing those values against the same sim, except to show the values by half true counts. You will see differences. I essentially get the same results anyways, by simply interpolating the results, which compares closely to half true counts.

In other words, the excercise is a circular reference with no end, and not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Just a gut response, since I play fractional halves. You will get minutely better index results from doubled halves, assuming perfectly executed, over fractional halves. The difference is not worth simulating, especially considering that these decisions are made in the heat of battle, with such minute differences, that will make absolutely apprecuable difference over the long haul.
    +1. You will get more accurate integer indices, but there is practically no EV gained that close to the true index. Cumulatively it will add up but still be insignificant. So if you use fractional halves the indices for doubled halves would be like using .5 TC increment indices instead of integer indices for fractional halves.

Red 7 = BRH 0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    ..a circular reference with no end...

vicious circle

Don, you did not study this question ? win rate, sd...

Quote Originally Posted by Gramazeka View Post
    Don, you did not study this question ? win rate, sd...
    For Halves or doubled Halves? No. I can't see why it would make the slightest bit of difference. Halves divides by whole decks for TC. Doubled Halves would divide by half decks, as the RPC does. You'd have to generate new indices, because simply using the original ones wouldn't be the exact equivalent, due to flooring/rounding issues.

Again, the differences would be negligible.

Don

The original Halves system are an inconvenient system due to problems with the five ( +1.5 ).
    There are also certain difficulties with the use of the formula NRS.