See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Betting units

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

bowmanmsu

Hi-Opt I without the several side-counts that it was designed to include is a very weak count
    and is truly unsuitable for a Double Deck game without side-counts. When you are well-seasoned
    at BJ feel free to contact me to lean Hi-Opt II, a very powerful count.

Meanwhile dropping from $20 to $10 means that your bet-spread ("ramp") is 2-1 and that equates
    to your playing with a significant disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by bowmanmsu View Post
    I have been playing at table minimums ($10) and have been doing alright. I have thought about increasing to $20/hand and then I am able to reduce my bet when the count is <0. Is this a good idea?
    To properly answer the first question we would need to know what the upfront house edge is because to be able to make any money that is what you need to overcome first just to break out even. What is the number of decks you are playing against? What are all the house rules that are on the tables that you play, and is there any differences in the rules and pen on the tables that you do play? What is the average pen that you are playing against? Bottom line the deeper the pen and the better the rules the less you will have to worry about that $20 off the top bet. You also need to understand the better the game the greater the variance, but that is a good thing provided you are properly bankrolled to offset some negative flux situations. Whatever you do, do not be afraid to wong out of some bad count situations, and infrequently sit out a few hands. Are you using any index plays? If you are getting a real deep pen, please do not mention, or the location of your play.
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-23-2018 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

bowmanmsu

Hi-Opt I without the several side-counts that it was designed to include is a very weak count
    and is truly unsuitable for a Double Deck game without side-counts. When you are well-seasoned
    at BJ feel free to contact me to lean Hi-Opt II, a very powerful count.

Meanwhile dropping from $20 to $10 means that your bet-spread ("ramp") is 2-1 and that equates
    to your playing with a significant disadvantage.
    Think you've to much THC today. You missed some salient points.

Have you ever spelled "too" correctly in any post that you make? Ever??

Don

From what was amended he's saying 1-8 spread, with the question as to whether a starting wager of $20 makes a difference in the 0 to +2 range, dropping down to a $10 bet at less than 0, and is this effective. Sure, this works (sort of on shaky ground) but do you still call this a 1-8 bet spread? Technically, no, call it "custom" I guess. Add some wonging in/out to this ensemble and it's a winning game plan no matter how you look at it, though. There are variables such as the rules, the pen, the effectiveness of the count and your ability to perform it, etc., that also play a part. If you wong in at +2, you're betting more off the top anyway. Maybe think about raising your max bet, what you're doing at around +5. The spread being discussed at those stakes, is not any threat to them at all and they're not going to give you a hard time.

In making this post it appears you are questioning or unsure of the effectiveness of what you're doing. Review the tables in BJA to help you in determining effective bet spread in conjunction with other playing conditions. It'll give you the big picture on what the ideals you might be looking for are that apply to your local playing conditions. There might be easily applicable tweaks to your game in terms of bet spread. The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Have you ever spelled "too" correctly in any post that you make? Ever??

Don
    Yup
    I heard a rumour that Don is going to stop sweating the small stuff, starting precisely at 13:12:30 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Yup
    I heard a rumour that Don is going to stop sweating the small stuff, starting precisely at 13:12:30 today.
    If you don't care about the image that you portray to others, with sloppy writing, then I guess I shouldn't either. It isn't my image, after all. Repeatedly and systematically spelling "too" as "to" in almost every post you make doesn't enhance that image.

And yes, I understand that I'm tilting at windmills. The average post, made by the average poster, on this or any other site, borders on illiterate.

Don

Banned or Suspended

"I understand that I'm tilting at windmills.
    The average post, made by the average poster,
    on this or any other site, borders on illiterate.

Don
    Illiterate AND innumerate! Having both handicaps generates the poorest of communication
    skills. The hidden irony is the Quixotic reference re: "windmill tilting" which perhaps one in
    three posters will have the requisite ken to fathom.

post scriptum ~ [I hope Don spares me the correction for using italics with quotation marks]

L.O.L.

If you don't care about the image that you portray to others, with sloppy writing, then I guess I shouldn't either. It isn't my image, after all. Repeatedly and systematically spelling "too" as "to" in almost every post you make doesn't enhance that image.

And yes, I understand that I'm tilting at windmills. The average post, made by the average poster, on this or any other site, borders on illiterate.

Don
    This is the type of post I would only expect from a card counting expert :'D

There are some that are great at understanding and executing AP play. There are others that are great at articulating the same. The rare individual is where the two overlap. Don may be a bit anal about perfect writing but when it comes to both understanding and articulating what we do, he is the tops. We should all be thankful to have him here to correct us on whatever he deems necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    There are some that are great at understanding and executing AP play. There are others that are great at articulating the same. The rare individual is where the two overlap. Don may be a bit anal about perfect writing but when it comes to both understanding and articulating what we do, he is the tops. We should all be thankful to have him here to correct us on whatever he deems necessary.
    I am grateful for his contributory high end expertise. However, I look forward to catching him on another infrequent faux pas, and to chastise him accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I am grateful for his contributory high end expertise. However, I look forward to catching him on another infrequent faux pas, and to chastise him accordingly.
    But you speak Canadian up there. American English is like a foreign language to you, eh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12