See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Series of Blackjack

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Yes, carnival rules like that are common. One tournament I know of pays 5 to 1 on a blackjack for one hand only in the middle of the round. Mulligans such as the one featured in the video in this thread are sometimes featured in various ways. The variations are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    The only ways this could happen would be if:

• you could not split 10s at all, in which case I feel your pain
    • you could not split 10s of different ranks, in which case I feel your greater pain
    • you were able to double after taking a card, in which case you should have doubled before reaching 20
    What if you bet more than half of your chips (maybe that's never correct to do?) You can double for less, but not split for less.

Splitting is much less powerful than doubling when you need to put your money out an make the cut or bust out trying. If you don't make the cut having no chips left is the same as being $1 short of making the cut. The lady at third base royally messed up by not doubling for less the round she got knocked out. Those chips she saved were worth nothing to her at the end of the round and the guy that was then at second spot could have been eliminated instead of her. The right play of doubling for the rest of her chips was obvious, especially when the elimination card came out on that round prior to her disastrous decision to hit rather than double down for all her chips.

I have been in tournaments where everyone has to play crazy out of the gate. A huge field to play against made it necessary to get 9 times your money in 10 rounds to have a shot at the money. It was a 1 round tournament. I should have been doubling everything right from the start. I would have been catching the cards I needed on some crazy doubles. Two hard 17s each caught 4s on the first two rounds. Instead I waited for more comfortable crazy plays pretty much too late in the 10 rounds. I didn't get the cards I needed or make the cut. I had a good shot if i played it crazy from the start. I played a few different times with this format and the second time went the same way. The third time I just went for it and that was the first time the cards didn't fall the way that benefits that optimal strategy. Each time those that finished in the money just played crazy out of the gate like their tournament lives depended on it. The truth is with such a strong field, pretty much all using this strategy, it does.

Banned or Suspended

For those unfamiliar with Tournament Play, the
    double [down] card MUST be dealt FACE DOWN.

This often becomes crucial during the final round
    when you deprive your opponents of full info' to
    properly size their wager and play their cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    What if you bet more than half of your chips (maybe that's never correct to do?) You can double for less, but not split for less.
    Yes, this could also happen . But, as you say, most times you need to double on anything, you would anticipate this while betting and skilled players would not bet more than half of their chips. You also may not be able to double for less. Every tournament is different. It definitely pays to know all of the rules before taking your seat!
    Last edited by Gronbog; 04-28-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

For those unfamiliar with Tournament Play, the
    double [down] card MUST be dealt FACE DOWN.
    Not necessarily true. All tournaments are different.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123