See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Series of Blackjack

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

World Series of Blackjack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN9KvKD0qek

What is up with these clowns saying they are the best players in the world, and doubling on 6 vs 5???

I didn't watch the video, but you should be aware that tournament blackjack is a whole different ball of wax than normal table play. Late in the round and, in particular, on the final hand, it can become necessary and correct to make some wild departures from basic strategy.

I once correctly doubled on a hard 19 on the final hand of a tournament round.
    Last edited by Gronbog; 04-25-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Blog Entries

I was just about to say "Even doubling on a hard 19 may be correct" and then saw Gronbog's post.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    I didn't watch the video, but you should be aware that tournament blackjack is a whole different ball of wax than normal table play. Late in the round and, in particular, on the final hand, it can become necessary and correct to make some wild departures from basic strategy.

Did you catch a 2?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I did! The other guy was already shaking hands with his buddies who were watching, thinking he had already won. He didn't even see me double down. The look on his face was priceless when he realized what had happened.

I did! The other guy was already shaking hands with his buddies who were watching, thinking he had already won. He didn't even see me double down. The look on his face was priceless when he realized what had happened.
    Incredible. Well done!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I actually also did this in a $25 buy in local weekly tournament and hit the 2!!!! Last hand of the table.

As indicated in team play basic strategy is somewhat of a suggestion! You need to be aware of all players chips, where you are in the set of rounds and where you are in the betting sequence.

Then a hail Mary may be your only play.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

OK, I have watched the video now (all 7 parts) and I do recall watching this years ago shortly after it aired.

My previous comments not withstanding, in my opinion, the quality of the play in general was poor. This includes the betting decisions (way too many unnecessary large bets) and the playing decisions. I didn't see a double of 6 vs 5, but I did see doubles of 7 vs 5 and 8 vs 5 midway through the round which were completely unnecessary. On the second knockout round (round 20 of 25), the woman, Kami, acting last had absolutely no choice but to double. She failed to do so and was eliminated.

The whole thing smelled of a final table for which they had already agreed to a chop and were playing to create excitement for the TV show. Fair enough, but no one should walk away believing that they saw any intelligent tournament play.

After bombing out in a tournament I watched a guy with $30K left and 4 rounds to go. He needed about $180K to move on to the next round. He got the shittiest cards but knew he had to get his money out ant way he could and just kept catching the dream cards. He ended up making the cut after doubling a hard 16, hard 14 and a hard 6, along with splitting T,T against a 9. If I remember right the max bet was $20K and he just made the cut. It was something to see.

Yeah everything about it seemed dumb. The one guy kept getting 21k solely because it was his lucky number I mean come on.

It is still a show ,right?

That reminds me of losing a BJ tourney last year on the final round. All I needed to do was bet the minimum and I would have won regardless. But foolishly I decided to match the other player's bet, only because I couldn't get a good gauge on his bank. Hit my 12 v 4 (count was below true zero) for 16 and stood. Dealer flips for 19 and the other player wins, and beats me by only $50 or so.

Banned or Suspended

I once had no choice other than doubling a hard XX.
    Of course, I busted out.

Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 04-26-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast