Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pit staring at you

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by kelg21 View Post
    If people stare. There is a reason. Good looking women deal with it all the time. So you dress accordingly. If you want stares then dress slutty. Samething in blackjack.
    Why, just the other day, I asked the critter if it was okay if I wore sunglasses, and further commented that I had a good reason for the request. She of course replied, no, then asked why I wanted to.

The cocktail waitress was wearing a real low cut dress, displaying enormous ganzagas. I commented that, without the sunglasses, I would have to look away, right away to display politically correct behaviour. Further, with sunglasses, I would get to stare, virtually unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yule View Post
    What's your best advice for when the pit supervisor or boss is staring at you?

It seems like they will stare at me continuously for 5 or 10 minutes, then they move along.

Should I just ignore it? Pretend like I'm watching tv? Act like I'm half asleep? Move to another pit?
    Try and engage the person(s) staring at you by asking a question. Then, gauge how they respond.
    Did they just snap out of a daydream when you addressed them? (They may just be thinking about how much their feet hurt).
    Summon them over and ask their advice on a hand: "Would you double (split) this?" Did they give you the correct answer? Warmly?
    If they are jovial and engage in conversation without a problem it's definitely a different story from them seeming disinclined to respond.
    Learn to read vibes. Sometimes engaging floor people can help to dismantle your currently eerie disposition...
    ...and sometimes it can confirm your suspicion that they hot to trot you out of there.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Walker View Post
    " ... your currently eerie disposition."
    FW +1 There is some likelihood that you may be "looking guilty."

i was about to say... actually it is better not to talk about it . it serves me nothing good.

If you’re really comfortable with your act, you might even chat with the dealer about the boss giving you an uncomfortable stare down and confront him personally about it in a friendly manner. It might be enough to calm the boss down, but by that time surveillance is also probably watching.

Most of the time if someone who has not been in the pit your entire session, and the shift is not changing, that person staring at you looks older and other staff seem to act more serious around them, they’re dressed slightly better than the regular floorman, and the person who is staring at you has a sour look on their face, you’re not in a good position. It really depends a lot on the shift, the store, and other things like that to dictate what I would do. Many times shift managers will do this to try and get a reaction out of you, or to just get you to leave so the shift manager doesn’t have to deal with you. Or it’s the shift manager or assistant shift manager who legitimately wants to count you down, and intimidate you.

I had this one scenario on a DD game where I knew a back off was imminent, and some shift manager was staring at me from two tables away from outside the pit. I figured I might as well play one more shoe until they give me the boot because of where the store was, and because the shift was one I would probably never play on again. So I played it, got a terrific count, and ended the shoe with a huge hand of splitting 8’s 3 times with max bets out. As soon as this shoe finished the shift manager ran into the pit to the phone. As soon as I was paid (which took a while with all the splits and black chips) I grabbed all the chips and shoved them in my zip pockets and ran the hell out of there.

A lot of this “staring” depends on different variables and what has been occurring to determine what exactly the right move is to do. I would say a majority of the time for me, if you’re actually winning (and a winning player), and you’re in OSN, and you have to watch yourself, when the shift managers and assistant shift managers show up to watch you play, it’s time to leave and come back on another shift instead of waiting for the back off. This lets you preserve a store for a little bit longer, that is of course if you want to preserve it.
    Last edited by BlackjackFeign; 04-28-2018 at 02:55 AM.

How I handle it depends on my mood/act and how I'm playing. I may chat them up, I may stare back, or I might ignore it. I may or may not alter my play. Whatever I feel will diffuse any possible heat. If they're just looking at the table, they're likely not watching you. They have a zillion other job things that require them to look at the table.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Yeah. The Eye does all the watching but you will never know It.
    I worry more about how often that phone at pit is ringing and if start staring while on phone is sign and I know this cause I am Dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12