See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Do We Even Play the First 3 Decks of a 6 Deck?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. Those SCOREs for the early decks assume play-all through those decks. They are so low because you rarely see the high-advantage counts that you need in order to beat the game. This is why wonging out of these counts is so effective.

However, that does not mean that, when you do see those counts in the first few decks, that you do not have an advantage, nor does it mean that you are over betting. There is a concept called the floating advantage (see BJA3) and it does turn out that your advantage at the same true count does indeed get better the deeper you go. But the difference is so small as not to affect your optimal bet in any practical way.

[edit]
    Just saw your comment on unbalanced vs balanced strategies. My remarks apply to balanced strategies. I don't have a lot of experience with unbalanced strategies.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Mercy Sakes
    1. Who ever says that decks 1-3 can't be beaten.
    2. Please don't take offence - I've noted your endless inquiries - seriously, you're really Overthinking this, and I think to your own detriment.

Just play, season yourself. You need a foundation to build upon - at that time, there would be more merit to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    There is a concept called the floating advantage (see BJA3) and it does turn out that your advantage at the same true count does indeed get better the deeper you go.
    The true power of the gloating advantage doesn't really show itself until deck 5, and more so at deck 5.5 in a 6 deck shoe.

i believe Schlesinger has mentioned up to .5% increase in advantage, so that true 0 (assume .5he) is actually break even, and true 1 is a clear advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    gloating advantage
    Surely a typo and not a Freudian slip!

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Surely a typo and not a Freudian slip!
    It was a typo, which I noted prior to posting........but then.........it seemed so apropo

This “problem” has been solved, if I understand your question correctly. You want to order a copy of Daniel Dravot, The Color or Blackjack. He addresses your issue. You’ll also find Norm’s software allows for setting up sims using this idea under the category of “depth betting”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar question, why do we start raising our bets in REKO at negative counts?

Four-Deck and Six-Deck Betting Ramp
    RC <=-4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 >=4
    Bet 5 10 10 25 25 25 50 50 75

Wouldn't it just make sense to wait till we're playing at an advantage? (Or do we actually have an advantage sooner than the negative count suggests?)

Dodo, Running count -4 is about equal to +0.3% advantage. RC 0 is about +1.0%. These advantages drifts along with shoe depth. They also change along with the various rules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12