See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to Double Down on a Soft 21?

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    But what are the RA indices? Some of the non-answers may be correct.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

To reiterate a little bit into what others have said already. You might win 20 cents more by splitting the tens or doubling the soft 20
    The gain from splitting tens can exceed 20% so you are talking about at least dozens of dollars.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    But what are the RA indices? Some of the non-answers may be correct.
    Off the top of my head, doubling soft 21 after splitting 10's.
    11 v 5&6
    14 v4
    And higher it gets.

Virtually a non issue in a shoe game.

Don shouldn't get his shorts on too tight just because the answers don't line up in his perfect world. He is naturally, technically right, as he usually is. He does not take into account the frequency of the hand, coupled by its heat factor by a competent player. Unfortunately, my close to photographic memory, had already taken into account his experience level, as evidenced by his initial posts on this forum, confirming that this Capt Jack us not the Captain Jack on BJ21, hypothesizing a newbies probable limited bankroll size measuring the limited gain of the individual further measured against the tap factor before he gets even gets started, further analyzing his comments on this OP strongly suggesting that he is not familiar with the he concept of risk averse versus EV maximizing, especially when taking probable limited bankroll size into consideration - so really - why encourage the guy to make a play that he likely shouldn't make in a million years in the first place.

But, that's only me. So, if some kind souls would mark my post as unhelpful as I haven't received any as yet today. Thank you.
    Last edited by Freightman; 04-02-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    The gain from splitting tens can exceed 20% so you are talking about at least dozens of dollars.
    Hit and run slash and burn on $100 max bet. Very smooth.

Damn. hit wrong button.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Off the top of my head, doubling soft 21 after splitting 10's.
    11 v 5&6
    14 v4
    And higher it gets.

Virtually a non issue in a shoe game.

Don shouldn't get his shorts on too tight just because the answers don't line up in his perfect world. He is naturally, technically right, as he usually is. He does not take into account the frequency of the hand, coupled by its heat factor by a competent player. Unfortunately, my close to photographic memory, had already taken into account his experience level, as evidenced by his initial posts on this forum, confirming that this Capt Jack us not the Captain Jack on BJ21, hypothesizing a newbies probable limited bankroll size measuring the limited gain of the individual further measured against the tap factor before he gets even gets started, further analyzing his comments on this OP strongly suggesting that he is not familiar with the he concept of risk averse versus EV maximizing, especially when taking probable limited bankroll size into consideration - so really - why encourage the guy to make a play that he likely shouldn't make in a million years in the first place.

But, that's only me. So, if some kind souls would mark my post as unhelpful as I haven't received any as yet today. Thank you.
    Person asks a question. Some people answer it. Others pontificate ad nauseam about how stupid the question was in the first place or why the answer didn't consider 16 other things.

It may come as a great shock to a number of people on this site, but I have actually played the game of blackjack. So, referring to "my perfect world" and how I don't take into account various aspects is somewhat ludicrous, since I have probably written more on the subjects of uselessness of indices, infrequency of hands, camouflage, etc., than everyone else on the forum combined. So, you're free to write whatever you choose, but understand how silly it sounds.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    The index is even higher than doubling on soft 20. For Hi-Lo users, it is about +18. So basically you should forget about it.
    Oddly enough, it seems these indices that only exist in fantasy land are the easiest ones to remember. If this situation were to arise, I would almost certainly have my top bet on the table, and knowing the mathematically correct play for the situation would surely have some dollar value to it, especially when doubling is involved.

By the way, FWIW, the person posted the same question on blackjackinfo.com. This was my reply:

14, 12, 10, 8, 8 vs. 2-6 respectively.

Meanwhile, ... don't do it!!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Person asks a question. Some people answer it. Others pontificate ad nauseam about how stupid the question was in the first place or why the answer didn't consider 16 other things.

It may come as a great shock to a number of people on this site, but I have actually played the game of blackjack. So, referring to "my perfect world" and how I don't take into account various aspects is somewhat ludicrous, since I have probably written more on the subjects of uselessness of indices, infrequency of hands, camouflage, etc., than everyone else on the forum combined. So, you're free to write whatever you choose, but understand how silly it sounds.

Don
    Don
    I will never question what I view as your absolute brilliance, especially regarding complex numerical relationships, coupled with what I view as superb organizational skills. That being said, your quest for perfection sometimes lacks a practical common sense.

In your honour, I reviewed and corrected typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    Depends on the stakes of course. But even so lets say you are winning 10 extra dollars per hour but you last 50 less hours at a shop. That's 1000 dollars versus an EV that remains in what I am guessing is the 40-50/hr range. Is 1000 extra now better than 2000-2500 later? Your preference I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12