See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Made one mistake, your lose the advantage, is that true?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    No, he meant what he wrote. He was trying to think of perhaps the dumbest mistake you could possibly make!

Don
    Care for a Side-bet on "that" supposition?
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jackson View Post
    I read it just like Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jackson View Post
    Sure. Whatever you'd like. It makes perfectly good sense just the way he wrote it. Doubling what you call a soft 20, but what should be called A,9, isn't anywhere near a bad mistake. Like splitting tens, it's a very high positive-e.v. play. It's just that standing is even higher.

But, if you were trying to show just how bad a mistake could be, doubling your hard 20 is about as bad as it gets.

So, how much would you like to bet?!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Sure. Whatever you'd like. It makes perfectly good sense just the way he wrote it. Doubling what you call a soft 20, but what should be called A,9, isn't anywhere near a bad mistake. Like splitting tens, it's a very high positive-e.v. play. It's just that standing is even higher.

But, if you were trying to show just how bad a mistake could be, doubling your hard 20 is about as bad as it gets.

So, how much would you like to bet?!

Don
    Ah i see..Your point is pretty clear in the two differences Bubbles was trying to make..At first glance, it seemed liked your typical 'poster error" but now i get why Bubbles made the the extreme example that S/He did..Looks like i would of lost that bet
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

If the running count is off by 2 at the beginning of the shoe each time, then play through the shoe, would the advantage evaporate entirely or still have little to gain?

There are errors and "errors". Purposeful statistical errors used as camo, such as insurance all 20vA, even money with a low/neg count, etc... They will lower your EV but not by that much.

Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseGuy View Post
    There are errors and "errors". Purposeful statistical errors used as camo, such as insurance all 20vA, even money with a low/neg count, etc... They will lower your EV but not by that much.
    Insuring a 20 or taking even money on a BJ when the count is neutral or negative are pretty big errors as far as basic strategy goes. Hitting 12 vs 4 is more in line with an error which sacrifices very little EV.

Quote Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter View Post
    Insuring a 20 or taking even money on a BJ when the count is neutral or negative are pretty big errors as far as basic strategy goes.
    but we ( counters )are betting minimums , so the cost is not as high as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by San Jose Bella View Post
    According to Professional BJ, a game with 83% penetration, s17, no DAS, no RSA, no surrender, $10-$100 bet spread with the Hi-Lo count, basic strategy only(no deviation index), provides a win rate of $12 per hour.

I always see people say card counting has a very thin edge, if you make one mistake, you lost your advantage over the house. I wonder if that's true, or just an encouraging talk to make APs practice harder?
    Is making mistakes that horrible, or just moderately hurt the profit?
    $12 is not very much at all.

With just a non counting spread of 1-4 based on deck probability value not expected...im averageing a double up every deck.

Quote Originally Posted by worshipful21master View Post
    $12 is not very much at all.

With just a non counting spread of 1-4 based on deck probability value not expected...im averageing a double up every deck.
    "deck probability value not expected"

Ah how did I not think of that!?

Quote Originally Posted by stopgambling View Post
    but we ( counters )are betting minimums , so the cost is not as high as you think.
    There are still much less costly cover plays to make at minimum bets than insurance.

Do u know what the house edge is for insuring two 10s? In a single deck game heads up it's above 15% or in other words close to 50x the EV differential for some basic strategy hit/stand decisions.

Routinely taking insurance incorrectly doesn't represent good bang for buck. Your EV will go much further with other cover plays.

not in the least you ever find your self down in the south I ll destroy every preconceived notion about the game of blackjack since its creation.

So as a counter How much edge are you aiming for when planning on attacking a game? Do you guys have a mimimum percentage like 1.0 or 1.6?
    Or just simply as high as possible just to squeeze the crap out of the actual game?
    I hope my question does make sense to Yous.

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast