See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mistakes made

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Mistakes made

On another thread, Spikej advised someone to review their play and many here talk about reviewing play after losing streaks, sessions and such. It led me to thinking of plays that deviations call for and the percentage of plays where I do make the play and where I fail to make the correct play for reasons of heat, presence of big bettors, my 3rd base position, ploppy concerns, looking the idiot if play fails, etc. I share these below and perhaps hearing from you might give me the cojones to do it.

Splitting tens - Never did it

Doubling A,8 - probably only did it 3% of the time when playing heads up.

Doubling A'7 - probably 50%, mostly on dealer 5,6.

Doubling A,5 and A,6 against 2 - probably only 40% of time it was called for.

6,2 and 5'3 against 5,6 - only 25% of the time it was called for.

Despite the above failures, I seem to have done OK in DD games but as I move to more 6 Deck play (H17, standard rules 1.2-1.4 cut off), I am thinking I need to do the deviations without hesitation (except splitting 10's).

I think newbies might be prone to the same issues.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    For what it is worth, I always double the soft teens when strategy and count calls for it (6deck and 8deck). My assumption is that they are less obvious than something like splitting tens because they almost all *do* have values where basic strategy says to double them, so the double itself is only surprising if someone is watching closely what they are doubling against, rather than splitting tens which is far more likely to grab the attention of a critter who is otherwise uninterested.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Some of these are more costly than others.

Doubling A,8 - against a 6 is basic strategy in DD game.

Doubling A,5 and A,6 against 2 - is not even basic strategy and is not Illust 18 play.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    On another thread, Spikej advised someone to review their play and many here talk about reviewing play after losing streaks, sessions and such. It led me to thinking of plays that deviations call for and the percentage of plays where I do make the play and where I fail to make the correct play for reasons of heat, presence of big bettors, my 3rd base position, ploppy concerns, looking the idiot if play fails, etc. I share these below and perhaps hearing from you might give me the cojones to do it.

Splitting tens - Never did it

Doubling A,8 - probably only did it 3% of the time when playing heads up.

Doubling A'7 - probably 50%, mostly on dealer 5,6.

6,2 and 5'3 against 5,6 - only 25% of the time it was called for.

Despite the above failures, I seem to have done OK in DD games but as I move to more 6 Deck play (H17, standard rules 1.2-1.4 cut off), I am thinking I need to do the deviations without hesitation (except splitting 10's).

I think newbies might be prone to the same issues.
    I am kind of sick and tired of a lot of bullshit - from you biting the hand that feeds - and from what I see as manufactured q & a's from others, essentially as a set up for the long posts. I had promised myself that I wouldn't bother with you anymore, however, for ploppies sake, I think I had better set the record straight.

Splitting 10's, either you do or don't. Issues of heat here. I would seriously recommend that you not, as a recent post if yours suggests that your true count conversion is seriously suspect.

Doubling A8. You don't need to be greedy, and besides, you specifically don't want to put up with ploppy rebellion.

Doubling A7 v 5 or 6. Let's see, you double 50% of the time? Let's see. You will make more if you hit, and make even more if you double. Are you out if your mind? You know what the right play is - do it.

Doubling a5 v2 49% of the time - when are you going to learn fuckng basic?
    Doubling a6 v2 - absolute hit, the double is optional depending on your views on risk aversion. Fir you, just hit. I'm sure you don't know the index.

6,2 and 5,3 v 5 or 6. 25% of the time. I employ a risk averse strategy here, mostly fir cover purposes. Since you panic at the first site of money, hit most of the time. Wait till true 3 to double 8v6 (not 44) v 6 and true 5 v 5, as long as game us das. Gives you the cover that you want and captures most if the EV.

Regarding your last sentence - yes - you need to grow a set.

For the next while, I'm going to simply observe, commenting only on what interests me, watching with interest as events unfold. I was especially humoured by Don commenting on 3, and 3 justifying, threatening long posts. Seems to me I called that one.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I know you do not believe in reading books but Blackjack Attack has the information of the costs of not making these plays.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I am kind of sick and tired of a lot of bullshit - from you biting the hand that feeds - and from what I see as manufactured q & a's from others, essentially as a set up for the long posts. I had promised myself that I wouldn't bother with you anymore, however, for ploppies sake, I think I had better set the record straight.

Splitting 10's, either you do or don't. Issues of heat here. I would seriously recommend that you not, as a recent post if yours suggests that your true count conversion is seriously suspect.

Doubling A8. You don't need to be greedy, and besides, you specifically don't want to put up with ploppy rebellion.

Doubling A7 v 5 or 6. Let's see, you double 50% of the time? Let's see. You will make more if you hit, and make even more if you double. Are you out if your mind? You know what the right play is - do it.

Doubling a5 v2 49% of the time - when are you going to learn fuckng basic?
    Doubling a6 v2 - absolute hit, the double is optional depending on your views on risk aversion. Fir you, just hit. I'm sure you don't know the index.

6,2 and 5,3 v 5 or 6. 25% of the time. I employ a risk averse strategy here, mostly fir cover purposes. Since you panic at the first site of money, hit most of the time. Wait till true 3 to double 8v6 (not 44) v 6 and true 5 v 5, as long as game us das. Gives you the cover that you want and captures most if the EV.

Regarding your last sentence - yes - you need to grow a set.

For the next while, I'm going to simply observe, commenting only on what interests me, watching with interest as events unfold. I was especially humoured by Don commenting on 3, and 3 justifying, threatening long posts. Seems to me I called that one.
    Freightman, your answers were excellent. There is no need to be nasty. I posted a simple review of what I was doing and how often. Why do you macho guys get upset if someone is okay about admitting their errors. Forget who is posting, just address the post or move on.

A6 v 2 is a marginal double so you are fine abstaining from making this index play. A5 v 2 should just be a hit.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Zee:

While splitting TT is an equitable strategy deviation, it is recommended that split TT be *not* a manoeuvre for any counter.

Soft 19 vs 6 is basic strategy. Soft 19 vs 5 index is also important as surplus T's and A's help you. Don't think of doubling as % of what you *feel* like. Rather, if the book or index departure invokes a double, consider doing so. It is advisable.

Soft 18: This is my favourite double: Double/Stand A7 vs dealer 2-6 for >=2D, Double/Stand A7 vs dealer 3-6 for 1D.

Double soft A5/6 vs 2: I would recommend hitting. Unless you have some weird 4/5 side-count you are using. I would again, follow the advice of basic strategy and your counts' index departures for these plays.

2-Card hard 8's (xand 44): Follow whatever High-Low index departure recommends. Otherwise, follow basic. I like Freighters recommend of risk adverse doubling. Consider moving the index up by one TC to be on the safe side.

From what you have states, you have two leaks in your game:

1.) major departures from basic strategy that is not justified by the book, and

2.) severe misunderstanding of your index departures as well as selectively choosing to employ said indices at your leisure.

My recommendation is to consider memorizing basic strategy much better as well as following your index departures to a Tee.

@Freightman, thank you for replying in any case as the information you shared was valuable to me, whether or not you think it will be for Z. As I understand it some of you get (understandably) sick of answering questions that the answer should be obvious to or that the asker should know better than to ask; makes sense. That said, know that there are others with less experience who also read and benefit from the information when you do reply, so it is not all necessarily as much wasted energy as it my seem. I'll try and be more vocal when I appreciate replies that are not directed at me but which nevertheless I find useful.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Freightman, your answers were excellent. There is no need to be nasty. I posted a simple review of what I was doing and how often. Why do you macho guys get upset if someone is okay about admitting their errors. Forget who is posting, just address the post or move on.
    With all due respect ZeeBabar, many of the things you have posted in the OP should be basic knowledge for a High-Low player.

No one has the intent of being 'nasty' to you. It is the fact that such post indicates that you may lack the skills and judgement to be called an AP.

If you are doing this as a recreational activity and want to go pro, then I recommend reviewing my previous post.
    Last edited by lij45o6; 03-12-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling error(s)

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by dogman_1234 View Post
    With all do respect Zeebabar
    It is spelled due and ZeeBabar is owed none. He deserves all the abuse he gets on this forum. Someone with over 2,000 posts on this forum wrote what he wrote. Reflect on that.

Quote Originally Posted by umbrellaman View Post
    It is spelled due...
    Danke Schoen.

Please stop demeaning Zee. As a somewhat student of the game, so far I have learned from him:

You should play rated, all the noise about countermeasures is bullshit. I was wrong.

Basic strategy and indexes are an interesting statistical concept but to be trumped by heat, how I feel today, how my playing companions fee, what time the nine thirty bus leaves or any other voodoo I want to use.

When the above strategies are employed, you will win copious amounts (just like me) and be able to make slightly depreciating remarks about myself on this and other forums displaying my humility and veiled intelligence.

I will become a celebrity capable of advising other new players.

I have no advice for Zee, I am now a student of his mastery. I can't wait for the book.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast